PDA

View Full Version : bone idle siblings..jobs n drugs tests

nibbles
26-07-2005, 16:53
after several years!! my bone idle brother has got himself a job good news so i thought till i heard they do a drugs test he thinks he'll pass but i don't think he will because up till 3 months ago he was smoking weed almost every day he swears he hasn't touched more than 1 joint for 2 months but i'm sure the stuff will still show up i've told him that if he fail this he's out on this arse, u think i'm being to hard i worried if he doesn't pass and i kick him out it might cause him to get into more trouble:(

Paul K
26-07-2005, 16:56
after several years!! my bone idle brother has got himself a job good news so i thought till i heard they do a drugs test he thinks he'll pass but i don't think he will because up till 3 months ago he was smoking weed almost every day he swears he hasn't touched more than 1 joint for 2 months but i'm sure the stuff will still show up i've told him that if he fail this he's out on this arse, u think i'm being to hard i worried if he doesn't pass and i kick him out it might cause him to get into more trouble:(
If he has been clean for 2 months he should be ok on the test I think. They did similar tests on me when I joined a manufacturing company as it was demanded by Fords who we supplied, a guy I went to the medical with was biting his nails as he had been smoking pot the week before. We both passed.
As to kicking him out, it's a personal choice that only you can make but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, he may learn from it if he is kicked out and has to find a mates floor to sleep on for a while.

Chris
26-07-2005, 16:56
Tough love, Nibbles. Sooner or later, people have to realise that they can't go through their entire lives having their messes excused and cleared up by their family and friends. We can't say whether that time has come for you and him; only you know enough about the circumstances to make that call. But if it all goes wrong, and if you throw him out, and if he then gets in a real mess - it will be his fault, not yours. He is an adult, competent to make his own decisions presumably!

Angua
26-07-2005, 17:00
Takes 3 weeks for weed to be out of the system for drugs test purposes hence the reason for harder drugs being preferred in prison as they clear within a day or so.

Perhaps having a job which requires drugs testing will keep him straight (let's hope he gets it) https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif

nibbles
26-07-2005, 17:13
thanks been feeling guilty thinkin bout it cause he's only just turned 19 thing is he's not thick he passed 6 gcse's 4 A's n 2 B's

Tuftus
26-07-2005, 18:29
I wouldnt worry about it too much, my bro works for a major manufacturing company in medical diagnostic equipment and they get randomly tested every now and again and he failed because he used to smoke weed on a dialy basis.

He still works there and has been promoted twice since then.

mrlipring
26-07-2005, 19:59
I'd get stoned as a monkey the day before the test, purely on principle. Well, not purely. ;)

It's nothing to do with my work what i do when at home. If i'm not drunk/stoned, and able to do my work, i'm fulfilling my obligations.

I don't smoke, so perhaps i should start. Smokers get extra breaks in which to take their drug of choice. I'm not a big drinker, but i've seen plenty of people hungover at work. When was the last time someone's work suffered because they were stoned the previous night?

My current employer has no such policy, but if they did introduce it, i'd be more than happy to leave. I wouldn't work for someone who thought they had the right to tell me what i could and couldn't do with my wages/spare time.

As for your brother, it's not his fault that the employer is insane. If he's getting interviews, and he has qualifications, he'll get more interviews, so tell him to hang on in there. It can be tough when you're looking for a job. The last thing he needs is family kicking him when he's down.

I obviously don't know the circumstances in which you're considering giving him the elbow, but he's family ffs. Treat him as such.

Maggy
26-07-2005, 20:52
No fun teaching with a hangover... ;)

AS for what a company decides as to drug user policy well that's up to them..If you don't want to jump through the hoops then you just don't apply for a job or attend the interview.

philip.j.fry
27-07-2005, 09:53
Takes 3 weeks for weed to be out of the system for drugs test purposes hence the reason for harder drugs being preferred in prison as they clear within a day or so.

Depends on the test, if they test hair then it shows a much longer period.

timewarrior2001
27-07-2005, 10:27
I'd get stoned as a monkey the day before the test, purely on principle. Well, not purely. ;)

It's nothing to do with my work what i do when at home. If i'm not drunk/stoned, and able to do my work, i'm fulfilling my obligations.

I don't smoke, so perhaps i should start. Smokers get extra breaks in which to take their drug of choice. I'm not a big drinker, but i've seen plenty of people hungover at work. When was the last time someone's work suffered because they were stoned the previous night?

My current employer has no such policy, but if they did introduce it, i'd be more than happy to leave. I wouldn't work for someone who thought they had the right to tell me what i could and couldn't do with my wages/spare time.

As for your brother, it's not his fault that the employer is insane. If he's getting interviews, and he has qualifications, he'll get more interviews, so tell him to hang on in there. It can be tough when you're looking for a job. The last thing he needs is family kicking him when he's down.

I obviously don't know the circumstances in which you're considering giving him the elbow, but he's family ffs. Treat him as such.

As an Ex drug taker Theres not a lot I can say.

However, in a small drugs test nothing is likely to show up after 24 hours unless they are specifically looking for it, then they CAN track it for up to 6 months.
Smoking pot does you no harm at work huh? Says who? You do? How are you qualified to certify that smoking pot one night does not affect your performance the next day?

The employer is not insane, imagine its a big chemical plant, with a few million gallons of nasty **** stored in tanks and pipelines, you have to know exactly what your doing or you could kill hundreds possibly thousands of people, would it be "Insane" to have random drugs testing? The town I live in has a Cyanide plant on its door step, I'm sure they have a drugs testing policy, bearing in mind that if you arent licensed to be on the site you can face 25 years in prison!

Drugs do slow you down, even the next day, I have experienced it and realised it for myself, now my days of weed, speed, acid, E and cocaine are over, and I'm quite willing to talk about how it affected me and how I am better for stopping.

Also just because its family does not mean he should cut him some slack. If he wants to waste his life doing nothing and smoking weed all day then he is a big ****up.

punky
27-07-2005, 10:44

Erm, you are actually aware that getting stoned is illegal? Wether it is a 'better' drug than alcohol or tobacco is debatable, but a shallow argument. Maybe the drugs tests are something to do with the fact that they don't want criminals working for them.

Yes, it is still a crime, always has been.

zoombini
27-07-2005, 11:13
To return to the first post.

He has quit smoking weed & has got a job interview.

Was this all his choice?
If so it sounds like "he" is trying to pull himself together & get on with his life properly instead of flying it away.

So if he fails this interview, perhaps it's not the best time to kick him out & let himd rop back down to weed smoking lyabout, because that's what will happen as he gets a state provided flat etc.

Encourage him further to go for mor job interviews & stay on the staright & narrow, if he screws up after that..... then kick him out. :)

philip.j.fry
27-07-2005, 12:31
Yes, it is still a crime, always has been.

Not for that long, early to mid 1900's I think, before that it wasn't illegal.

MikeyB
27-07-2005, 13:34
Been thru the same with my brother.
He was kicked out of home several times (can't rememeber how old the 1st time) and lost several jobs & homes all down to drugs.
It got to the point where the local council wouldn't rehouse him because of all this.

I wasn't living at home when it was all going on, so I wasn't in the middle of it, but I do know that it was the one of hardest things my parents have every done to kick him out.

He came back home a few times, saying all was different and okay now, but it wasn't, and he'd be out on the streets again.

Then we never heard from him, or knew where he was for about 3 years or so, that was also a very worrying time not knowing, anything could have happened, no one knew anything.
Then one day out of the blue he phones my mum.
He now has had a steady job for about 3 years, doesn't go anywhere near drugs, and has bought his own house with his partner.

None of this would have happened if he was allowed to stay at home and do nothing but steal (sometimes off our parents) to keep his drug habbit as that was the easy life to him "why do I need a job when I can do this" was his attitude.

He doesn't like to talk about what happend much, but he went thru a hell of a lot, then something clicked and he decided that it wasn't good enough.

But it does sound like your brother is trying to do something, which is a good sign, at least he has found himself a job.

My Dad managed to get my brother a job at his place, but he was either late, or not turning up at all, and when he was there not doing any work, because he didn't want to work.

But only you can decide what action to take, it got to the point where my parents couldn't cope anymore, and had tried everything they could think of, but it doesn't sound like it's got to that stage from your opening post.

Nidge
27-07-2005, 14:54
Hold on there a minute, if they take a sample via the hair folicals drug use can show up 6 months down the line, the army use this sort of testing now.

SMHarman
27-07-2005, 15:13
These things are usually urine tests.

mrlipring
27-07-2005, 21:37
that's a polite way of putting it.

TBH, i don't care how legal or not it is. I care about the morality of an employer telling you what to do while at home. We all do illegal things, be it downloading a film, smoking pot, driving at 75mph or whatever. I'm not saying any of it's right or wrong, i'm just saying that an employer has no right to tell you what you can do in your free time, or even what you did in your free time BEFORE you entered employment with them.

If they want to say NO chemicals of any type (alcohol, nicotine, thc, etc) to be consumed, then i'd understand to a degree. I still wouldn't agree with it, but it's true that for some jobs you need to be 100% on the ball. Not that you're guaranteed to be 100% on the ball all the time anyway (neighbours had a party and kept you awake half the night? Baby up all night crying? partner snoring? hayfever? these are all pretty much out of your control, but will affect your work as much as anything else)...