PDA

View Full Version : Banks - aargh!!

ntl customer
24-07-2005, 02:51
I went into the bank a few weeks ago, to get money out, they refused to give my money, citing the reason that I had to change my account to another one (this account I've had since I was 10 years old). OK, they should have changed it when I reached 16, but that's beside the point. Money is money, and it's their duty to give it to me when I want it. I spent around 25 minutes waiting as there's only one window open.

I came in next day to do it (as I wanted to buy a digital camera so I could use it at a special occasion later in the week) , go and queue up for the counter and wait for around 30 minutes. I see the same woman who handled my transaction yesterday, and asked her to do it.

She directs me to the queue at the customer services desk and there I pussyfoot around for another 15 - 20 minutes waiting and leafing through some of the spiel in their leaflets with some businessmen who from their body language and content of speech are pretty peed off - they had missed some sort of deadline (probably for depositing money/transfers) due to Lloyds TSB (yes, you are named and shamed in public!!) not knowing their right hand from their left and they were having a go at the bank who were trying their best to fax in the document required so that it could be processed, but the line was engaged and the fax was on redial.

The change when it came was fairly painless - it was done quickly. When I asked whether I could take my money out now that I'd changed the account, they said "I'm sorry sir, you can't today". I pretty much lose the will to live at this point and had the urge to let rip at the woman who was doing the account conversion - FFS, I've wasted around 75 minutes waiting around, changed my account, but still can't get hold of my money. :fit:

So, I miss out on the digital camera for the special occasion thanks to this shower of shiza. The film camera doesn't work properly on the day and I'm not best pleased.

But to stick the boot in further, they sent me a cashpoint card to use with the account, but weeks later I haven't got a PIN. Great, so I'm stuck with this useless credit card sized piece of plastic that I can't even use to take my money out with from the hole in the wall. Guess it's more queuing at the customer services desk on Monday morning. Really, they're taking the pish now with all this. :td: :(

I'm sure I'd probably get my money quicker if I went in with a shotgun and ballaclava. Or done what that kid does in Mary Poppins when he's in the bank. :D

Seriously, I think the best bank has to be one called "My Drawer" or "My Pocket". Never has queues, never shuts at 4:30, open seven days a week, you don't get hammered with charges and you don't have to deal with callcentres which cost a fortune to call (esp if they're 0870 numbers).

Has anyone had any banking experiences from hell they'd like to share? I'd be most interested to see whether crap service is an isolated case or fairly common. :)

Ta.

Jules
24-07-2005, 10:14
If I was you I would write to there complants deparment as the way you have been treated is disgusting!

grandmaster
24-07-2005, 10:24
i had similiar issues with Yorkshire bank,

I had an account from a young age and when i started work and got a regular wage i wanted a switch card.
They refused to change my account but could not give me a reason.

So there and then i withdrew all my money and told the geezer where to stick his account.

Went to First Direct, they gave me a switch card and an overdraft of £250.
Internet banking is the best thing ever.
Even when i lost my card and it got used before i could report it they STILL refunded me the money, even though most banks stipulate that you are liable until you report it.

Go in and close your account, they do not deserve your custom!

marky
24-07-2005, 10:45
i asked mine to close one of my ntl direct debits as only one was in use, they closed the wrong one then returned it unpaid then billed me :confused:

i am now quite happily with another bank :)

makikomi
24-07-2005, 10:51
I agree with my sweetheart - write to the Customer Services department of the back, state what happened and say that the standard of service you recevied was unacceptable.

You may find that you'll get credited a tenner or so for the problems they gave you.

Nikko
24-07-2005, 10:58
'Merchant Bankers' is a phrase in rhyming slang. Says it all really.

Paul K
24-07-2005, 12:05
9 out of 10 banks are only looking to do one thing these days......
protect their profits. Unfortunately they often do this by cutting staff which then impacts customer care. The most important thing to a bank is your money and if they mess you about or don't give you the service you require and deserve then take your money elsewhere.
Too many banks are behaving like parasites these days, feeding off their customers lack of information and financial savvy.

Tuftus
24-07-2005, 17:09
If I was you I would write to there complants deparment as the way you have been treated is disgusting!

From personal experience with Lloyds TSB this will not get you very far...

LTSB are the most unhelpful bank I have ever had the missfortune of dealing with, closely followed by NatWast then First Direct.

Maggy
24-07-2005, 17:14
I went into the bank a few weeks ago, to get money out, they refused to give my money, citing the reason that I had to change my account to another one (this account I've had since I was 10 years old). OK, they should have changed it when I reached 16, but that's beside the point. Money is money, and it's their duty to give it to me when I want it. I spent around 25 minutes waiting as there's only one window open.

I came in next day to do it (as I wanted to buy a digital camera so I could use it at a special occasion later in the week) , go and queue up for the counter and wait for around 30 minutes. I see the same woman who handled my transaction yesterday, and asked her to do it.

She directs me to the queue at the customer services desk and there I pussyfoot around for another 15 - 20 minutes waiting and leafing through some of the spiel in their leaflets with some businessmen who from their body language and content of speech are pretty peed off - they had missed some sort of deadline (probably for depositing money/transfers) due to Lloyds TSB (yes, you are named and shamed in public!!) not knowing their right hand from their left and they were having a go at the bank who were trying their best to fax in the document required so that it could be processed, but the line was engaged and the fax was on redial.

The change when it came was fairly painless - it was done quickly. When I asked whether I could take my money out now that I'd changed the account, they said "I'm sorry sir, you can't today". I pretty much lose the will to live at this point and had the urge to let rip at the woman who was doing the account conversion - FFS, I've wasted around 75 minutes waiting around, changed my account, but still can't get hold of my money. :fit:

So, I miss out on the digital camera for the special occasion thanks to this shower of shiza. The film camera doesn't work properly on the day and I'm not best pleased.

But to stick the boot in further, they sent me a cashpoint card to use with the account, but weeks later I haven't got a PIN. Great, so I'm stuck with this useless credit card sized piece of plastic that I can't even use to take my money out with from the hole in the wall. Guess it's more queuing at the customer services desk on Monday morning. Really, they're taking the pish now with all this. :td: :(

I'm sure I'd probably get my money quicker if I went in with a shotgun and ballaclava. Or done what that kid does in Mary Poppins when he's in the bank. :D

Seriously, I think the best bank has to be one called "My Drawer" or "My Pocket". Never has queues, never shuts at 4:30, open seven days a week, you don't get hammered with charges and you don't have to deal with callcentres which cost a fortune to call (esp if they're 0870 numbers).

Has anyone had any banking experiences from hell they'd like to share? I'd be most interested to see whether crap service is an isolated case or fairly common. :)

Ta.

Ah been there ,done that,got the teeshirt.Had the same experience with my son..Luckily I was able to loan him the money for what he wanted to buy... ;)