PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust your bank to keep your money secure

xathras
23-07-2005, 22:28
Hiya guys, I am studying computing and my final project is on secure banking, i am looking to get user feedback and was hoping to find out what you think.

Before i make the post i just wanted to find out

1) if this is the relevant room
2) doesn't voilate any posting policies
3) ensurance i won't get flammed.

wayne

MovedGoalPosts
23-07-2005, 22:34
1) Wrong forum area - not "current affairs" but "internet" if you are talking about user experiences. This thread is moved.

2) Don't see that anything is violated, but it's up to others whether they respond

3) Can't guarantee that people won't try, but flaming is against the forum's Ts & Cs so anyone posting in such a way does so at their peril.

Please use this thread, rather than any new post to ask your question.

xathras
23-07-2005, 22:50
hiya rob, don't worry, i don't plan on wasting needless database space

PERCEPTION OF BANKING

Please take a short time filling in these answers, I would be very grateful indeed of finding out what you think

Name:
1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank?

2. Do you think that the bank does enough to ensure that your information is stored correctly?

3. Do you think that your banking is doing its up-most-best to ensure fraudulent activity is minimised?

4. Do you think that fraud is a particular issue?

5. Do you have a internet banking account?

If no, why?

6. Do you use telephoning banking?

7. After recent press reports on credit card information being sold from outsourced banks in indian does this concern you?

8. Do you think credit cards are outdated?

9. Would you like to receive text messages of abnormal banking activity?

dilli-theclaw
23-07-2005, 22:54
hiya rob, don't worry, i don't plan on wasting needless database space

PERCEPTION OF BANKING

Please take a short time filling in these answers, I would be very grateful indeed of finding out what you think

[QUOTE=xathras] Name:
Thomas Edward Jefferson Tarn (really ;):))

Yes

2. Do you think that the bank does enough to ensure that your information is stored correctly?

Yes

3. Do you think that your banking is doing its up-most-best to ensure fraudulent activity is minimised?

Yes

No

Yes

If no, why?

N/A

VERY occasionaly

7. After recent press reports on credit card information being sold from outsourced banks in indian does this concern you?

Yes

No

Yes

MovedGoalPosts
23-07-2005, 23:25
Name: Rob Cullen

1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank? yes

Yes - but I have to place my trust in somebody

Yes - but I don't really know

Yes - because there is publicity about it, and we are told it is an issue.

Yes

If no, why?
N/a

yes - my account is online/ telephone - no branc

yes

no - they offer easy means of payment, can save me money (pay each monthly bill by due date in full, means I "make" money from cashback deals and interest on money in my bank not somebody elses.

9. Would you like to receive text messages of abnormal banking activity.
No

nffc
23-07-2005, 23:32
Name: <witheld>

yeah

dunno

not sure

yeah

no and i would never use it- it's too insecure.

nope for the same reason.

yes

nope

yeah

Jules
23-07-2005, 23:37
Name: Julie

1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank? yes

2. Do you think that the bank does enough to ensure that your information is stored correctly? yes

3. Do you think that your banking is doing its up-most-best to ensure fraudulent activity is minimised? possibly

4. Do you think that fraud is a particular issue? yes

5. Do you have a internet banking account? no

If no, why? I don't trust it

6. Do you use telephoning banking? some times

7. After recent press reports on credit card information being sold from outsourced banks in indian does this concern you? yes it does

8. Do you think credit cards are outdated? No

9. Would you like to receive text messages of abnormal banking activity? yes

ian@huth
23-07-2005, 23:43
1) Wrong forum area - not "current affairs" but "internet" if you are talking about user experiences.
I would say that the OP used the correct forum area of "current affairs" rather than the "internet" area to which it has been moved having read post #3.

MovedGoalPosts
23-07-2005, 23:52
1) Wrong forum area - not "current affairs" but "internet" if you are talking about user experiences.
I would say that the OP used the correct forum area of "current affairs" rather than the "internet" area to which it has been moved having read post #3.

You may have been right given the specific questions that we now know. To me however it does seem that the internet has opened up the biggest area of identity fraud possibilities, which banking cannot easily secure. Online banking presents a whole area of fraud possibility. The numerous phishing emails that arrive daily in people's inboxes must be of significant concern. In these instances the weakneses are the customer, being unaware, rather than the bank, whse systems are then easily bypassed by the customer's ignorance.

Paul
23-07-2005, 23:55
Name: Paul M.

1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank? Yes.

2. Do you think that the bank does enough to ensure that your information is stored correctly? Yes.

3. Do you think that your banking is doing its up-most-best to ensure fraudulent activity is minimised? I would hope so as it's in their interest.

4. Do you think that fraud is a particular issue? I would imagine it's a common issue.

5. Do you have a internet banking account? Yes.

6. Do you use telephoning banking? Very rarely - only if I cannot get online.

7. After recent press reports on credit card information being sold from outsourced banks in indian does this concern you? No.

8. Do you think credit cards are outdated? No.

9. Would you like to receive text messages of abnormal banking activity? No.

xathras
23-07-2005, 23:55
i wasn't to sure myself really were to place it, besides my project just happens to be in an area that has just been highlighted in the media, either way as long as i get some information back this is brilliant

nffc
24-07-2005, 00:07
To me however it does seem that the internet has opened up the biggest area of identity fraud possibilities, which banking cannot easily secure. Online banking presents a whole area of fraud possibility. The numerous phishing emails that arrive daily in people's inboxes must be of significant concern. In these instances the weakneses are the customer, being unaware, rather than the bank, whse systems are then easily bypassed by the customer's ignorance.
Which let's be honest, nobody takes seriously. Or at least should do.

Online banking would have to change substantially for me to even *consider* using it. But then, even if I did use it, I'd hardly take the phishing email seriously.

I always mess up those phishing tests on the internet that show you a mail and you have to say if it's fine or not... mainly because I assume it's bad even if it isn't- which isn't too bad. If I do get a mail purporting to be from someone like amazon or another site i'll usually load the site manually and log in that way rather than click a link- just to be on the safe side, as you can never tell.

If people thought before they clicked and exercised a modicum of common sense then this kind of thing would be substantially less effective. It would still get people who don't know it's risky or even people who do know who momentarily drop their guard but it would be less of an earner for them. Now this is getting slightly OT but I don't think it would harm anyone (and it would probably do a lot of good) to insert a small (few pages) "survival guide for PCs" in with each new PC- just making people aware of spyware, hacking, viruses, phishing, spam etc etc and that they really *have* to take appropriate precautions. It wouldn't take much effort, wouldn't cost much and it would save on people ****ing up their PCs or getting vulnerable to identity theft etc etc- would also make the net safer as the people faffing with viruses etc would get bored as it would be less effective... bleh it's just an idea...

cookie_365
24-07-2005, 00:22
PERCEPTION OF BANKING

Name: Me

yes

yes

yes

? not clear what is meant by 'a particular issue'

no

If no, why?

apathy

yes

no

no

Already receive regular text messages on account activity

Ramrod
24-07-2005, 01:00
1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank?-No

2. Do you think that the bank does enough to ensure that your information is stored correctly?-No

3. Do you think that your banking is doing its up-most-best to ensure fraudulent activity is minimised?-Yes

4. Do you think that fraud is a particular issue?-Yes

5. Do you have a internet banking account?-Yes

If no, why?

6. Do you use telephoning banking?-Yes

7. After recent press reports on credit card information being sold from outsourced banks in indian does this concern you?-Yes

8. Do you think credit cards are outdated?-No

9. Would you like to receive text messages of abnormal banking activity?-Yes

ntl customer
24-07-2005, 02:58
Name: Witheld

1. Are you generally satisified with the service you receive from your bank?-

Definately not. Lloyds TSB are a crock of shyte.

Read my story in this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=534188#post534188)

Well I've not got much idea about their systems, but I'd guess they have appropriate measures in place. Good to see that staff aren't leaving their computers unlocked when they nip into the back to get a form or whatever, but a bit shocked to see that they're still using NT4. :shocked:

I'd hope so. Although I do get the odd phishing email purporting to come from Lloyds TSB.

Yes - but it depends on what measures you take to prevent it, such as not binning your statements or diviulging your personal details to all and sundry in a phishing email.

5. Do you have a internet banking account? If no, why?

Not yet, but I intend to do so when I get all this crap sorted out, or when I move to another bank.

As with internet banking. However if they're using premium rate/non geographic numbers then I doubt if I'd use it very often, if at all.

Yes it does to some extent. But I'd be less willing to deal with banks over the phone if their staff were in India or some foreign country and on low wages.

No. But I wouldn't borrow on one.

Perhaps, but I don't use a mobile phone much. I'd rather receive emails or have such notifications intergrated into the online banking website.

No thank you for taking part in this survey? Tsk. ;)

MovedGoalPosts
24-07-2005, 04:02
OK, so I was wrong, this thread is more a lifestyle, choices issue rather than just related to online acitvity. So I've moved it, for the last time oops: