PDA

View Full Version : Kisses & Greetings

Salu
21-07-2005, 16:17
There was a phone in on our local radio show today debating how we in the UK greet one another. The presenter had recently returned from France where she had observed a much more tactile syle of greeting. Men & women would regularly kiss and hug each other. Whereas I can recall women doing this here I can't remember seeing many men doing this. (lets not turn this into a gay debate thread btw).

She commented on how a hand shake may be too formal and asked people to phone in saying how they welcomed their accquaintences. So I thought I would ask you lot.

I don't ever kiss (on one or both cheeks) another bloke but will often hug them briefly, if I know them well enough. Or sometimes I will hold their elbow briefly, pat them on the back sort of thing.

Women I would kiss (peck on the cheek), hug or put my arm around depending on the person.

Rarely would I shake anyone's hand though. I reserve that for formal meetings or patients etc.

What do you do and do you feel that what you do is what you want to do or do you feel peer pressured to confirm to society's standards. Do you feel that we should lighten up a bit and loose some of the British upper lip?

Thoughts?

MovedGoalPosts
21-07-2005, 16:21
If it's a bloke a simple "hello" suffices. Ladies expect the peck on the cheek in social circles, otherwise again, "hello" is enough.

Only on the more formal business occasion does the handshake come out for either sexes.

punky
21-07-2005, 16:22
I only hug my male friends, although I do kiss my dad, but not my brother.

No, I don't know why either, just force of habit.

marky
21-07-2005, 16:27
if a guy tried hugging me he would get a glasgow kiss :banghead:

Stuart
21-07-2005, 16:27
Depends..

With ladies, I often do hug and kiss them.. Although one in particular tends to throw herself at me!

With men, depends on the man. Some I do hug. Some I don't

In both cases, I am more likely to hug those I know well.

punky
21-07-2005, 16:31
With women, I do hug them, but depends on how close the friend. Sometimes I peck them on the cheek, but depends on the friend.

Salu
21-07-2005, 16:33
Why do men feel uncomfortable to hug/kiss other men epecially in this day-and-age of sexual freedom? If it's acceptable to be gay and acceptable for them to embrace etc why hasn't it become more accepted that its' "OK" to kiss your mate as a heterosexual?

marky
21-07-2005, 16:38
in all honesty i hug one brother punch the other, kiss my kids, grunt at my wife and as for my freinds that male bonding thing the back breaking slap on the back or punch in the tum hormones i suppose :confused:

MadGamer
21-07-2005, 16:39
I know that when i havent (along with my family) Seen friends for a long time i will often shake the fathers hand and such.

ikthius
21-07-2005, 16:56
very close female friends get a long hug, sometimes a kiss
very close male friends get a hug, but that depends on the mate.
close female friends get a hug, mainly
close male friends get a hiya
female aquantences get a hello
as do the male ones.

thats about it

but it all depends on the person you are greeting!!!!!
I have difernet ways to greet different people, regardless of how close I am to them

ik

greencreeper
21-07-2005, 17:01
I must admit, gay men do seem to be more tactile. That said, I can't bide being hugged in public - terribly embarrassing. I've not that great at physical contact at all, to be honest. Just not comfortable with it. A friend's girlfriend met me for a drink and gave me a hug, which in itself would be shame enough, but she was in a thigh-high Japanese style dress, fishnets, knee length boots, big fluffy coat, her usual neon pink hair and bright red lippy. Oh the embarrassment :blush: It's nice to be hugged but I'm just me :shrug:

Jules
21-07-2005, 17:10
Right so if i meet up with Salu I can hug him but if I meet Green I can't lol

Escapee
21-07-2005, 18:11
I'm not a touchy feely type, It's very rare I would kiss a woman on the cheek in the pub even if I had previously had close relations with her. (Tact and diplomacy in my post)

I was in the pub a few weeks ago and two women who I dont know that well both came over and kissed me on the cheek, it wasn't intended to make me embarassed but I went a lovely shade of red.

I remember my previous girlfriend coming to pick me up after a night out with work collegues, I got in the car and she said "In future at least have the decency to wipe the lipstick off both sides of your face before I pick you up"

It's rare for me to get women kiss me though, they usually just invite me home.......lol :D

Bex
21-07-2005, 18:56
i would honestly say it depends how well i know someone...... my close friends i give a hug and kiss on the cheek when i see them, male or female.... but others i will just say hello and that's it.

i can be quite shy around new people so anyone new and i generally dont get huggy with them

Maggy
21-07-2005, 19:59
Depends who it is and what they expect. :D

After all if they do this Download Failed (1) then they get what they deserve. :D

greencreeper
21-07-2005, 23:01
Right so if i meet up with Salu I can hug him but if I meet Green I can't lol
Oh you can hug me - just might turn a strange shade of pink though :D

Jules
22-07-2005, 09:26
Thats ok I can live with that :tu: lol

I always find it strange the thought that I could walk past Green or Salu in the street and we wouldn't have a clue who the other person is lol

kronas
22-07-2005, 09:46
its a bit of a mixture for me, men i handshake and women hug or hello, it just depends on how close i want to get. :naughty:

grandmaster
22-07-2005, 10:07
hmmm its a tough one and depends on the person,location,situation.

If i had not seen the person in a while (m or f) i may hug them (possibly and peck on the cheek if its a woman though thats not written in stone lol )

Saying that there is a woman at jujitsu who i always hug and peck when we meet...strange.

I saw a friend this morning who i had not seen in a while and a handshake was more than sufficient, although i was in the car :D people may have thought he was car jacking me lol.

I always find it strange the thought that I could walk past Green or Salu in the street and we wouldn't have a clue who the other person is lol

have we not got a show yer mug thread?

Jules
22-07-2005, 11:41
Yeah but i don't think Salu or green are on it...I will go have a look :D

Ok just checked and nope they are not there

Monster Jedi
22-07-2005, 12:04
Why do teenage lasses always hug kiss each other. Think off the school kids doing this today. As they breakup for the school hols. Theres gonna be millions of hugs.

PS Why do lasses fold their arms when walking:shrug:

grandmaster
22-07-2005, 12:43
<Snip>
PS Why do lasses fold their arms when walking:shrug:

Is this a question?
or should i wait for a punchline?

Yeah but i don't think Salu or green are on it...I will go have a look :D

Ok just checked and nope they are not there

whats the link j ?

orangebird
22-07-2005, 12:43
All my friends get hugs and kisses when I see them.

ellie
22-07-2005, 18:20
I kiss my girl friends and guy friends on the cheek when I see them, If Ive not seen them in say about a week then we have a hug too https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif

Jules
22-07-2005, 20:33
whats the link j ?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=979&highlight=members+pictures

There you go :)

greencreeper
22-07-2005, 22:14
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=979&highlight=members+pictures

There you go :)
Some members have their pics on their profile <cough>

Jules
23-07-2005, 01:25
Thanks for the nudge GC :)

Escapee
23-07-2005, 10:15
All my friends get hugs and kisses when I see them.

How do I get to be your friend :D

punky
23-07-2005, 10:35
I have always thought it was a bit weird girls hold each others hands all the time.

Although I don't complain when they hold mine :)

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 10:53
how do people feel about a smack on the bum....

I went to jujitsu last night and i was in the office and as the coach came by he smacked my ass.

Then i was in the shop about an hour ago and i saw a guy who i had not seen for a while and he did the same...

Am i missing something except for the fact i might have a great ass?

i tried to give you a nice greenie for the helpfull link J but vb said i had to spread the reps around......

You'll have to wait i'm afraid....

punky
23-07-2005, 10:56
how do people feel about a smack on the bum....

I went to jujitsu last night and i was in the office and as the coach came by he smacked my ass.

Then i was in the shop about an hour ago and i saw a guy who i had not seen for a while and he did the same...

Am i missing something except for the fact i might have a great ass?

Haven't seen that Friends episode then? :) Suffice to say, I wouldn't call that normal behavior to be honest. Unless I get to smack girls' bums of course :)

Jules
23-07-2005, 11:24
More to the point how did you feel about it GM?

No prob about the rep point by the way :)

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 11:26
i'm not that bothered tbh

i'm a very easy going type of guy although if i did find it inappropriate i would say

whaat do you think

Jules
23-07-2005, 11:34
I think that people are getting a lot more touchy feely now adays and as long as it didn't bother you that is all that matters :)

Maybe you just have a very smackable bum http://bestsmileys.com/mooners/2.gif

ian@huth
23-07-2005, 11:44
It depends on who is watching. ;) :D

punky
23-07-2005, 11:54
More to the point how did you feel about it GM?

Sorry to hijack your post meant for someone else, but I thought you'd might like to hear this. I was in a pub once and some lairy girls were there. One did slap me on the bottom. I am not that good looking at all, certainly not in their category, so they were taking the p**s. I just smiled and walked on, but inwardly, It did annoy me thought it was a bit rich. If I did that to her, i'd be arrested, put on the sex offenders list, and could well be lucky to excape jail. Why should she think she could be allowed to get away with it? If I did go to the police station, i'd probably get laughed out of it. Still at the end of the day, no real harm done, except it did hurt a bit that they were drunk and taking the p**s.

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 11:59
<snip>Sorry to hijack your post meant for someone else </snip>

No need to apologise sir,

you are right about being laughed at though.
They would probably do you for wasting police time

ian@huth
23-07-2005, 12:01

I always find it strange the thought that I could walk past Green or Salu in the street and we wouldn't have a clue who the other person is lolWhen passing someone in the street do you ever think along the lines of "cor, I would love to give her (him) one"? Maybe the other person has exactly the same thoughts about you. How many missed opportunities? :)

Jules
23-07-2005, 13:26
No problem Punky and I can more than understand you feeling hurt at being made fun of, having said that there is also the possibility that they did like you ;)

When passing someone in the street do you ever think along the lines of "cor, I would love to give her (him) one"? Maybe the other person has exactly the same thoughts about you. How many missed opportunities? :)

I tend to more look and think "ohh he is nice" I very much doubt they are thinking the same though lol

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 13:29
I tend to more look and think "ohh he is nice" I very much doubt they are thinking the same though lol

Where is your picture in that list
?

Jules
23-07-2005, 13:30
It isn't there Ry ;) by the way I notice that yours isn't either :)

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 13:52
i'll have to dig a picture out hold on......

Download Failed (1)

I'm the fatboy on the left

punky
23-07-2005, 13:56
No problem Punky and I can more than understand you feeling hurt at being made fun of, having said that there is also the possibility that they did like you ;)

Now you tell me Jules :cry: ;)

When passing someone in the street do you ever think along the lines of "cor, I would love to give her (him) one"? Maybe the other person has exactly the same thoughts about you. How many missed opportunities? :)

Good point. I have chronic self-esteem issues though, so I doubt they'd ever think that about me. Plus I am not, err... traditionally good looking.

Jules
23-07-2005, 14:32
I knew there was a reason I came here.......all the good looking fellas :)

Ry and Punky if we ever meet up feel free to hug me :D

ian@huth
23-07-2005, 15:26
Good point. I have chronic self-esteem issues though, so I doubt they'd ever think that about me. Plus I am not, err... traditionally good looking.Remember the old saying though, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

One chap I used to know had a system for always scoring when he went out on a night. He used to pick the least attractive woman in the club and ask her the pertinant question at the first opportunity. He said that it wasn't worth spending money and time on a woman if he wasn't going to get his evil way. He ALWAYS scored even though he was a short, fat, ugly git.

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 16:35

:hugs: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Remember the old saying though, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

i thought that was beer holder?

ellie
Remember the old saying though, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

One chap I used to know had a system for always scoring when he went out on a night. He used to pick the least attractive woman in the club and ask her the pertinant question at the first opportunity. He said that it wasn't worth spending money and time on a woman if he wasn't going to get his evil way. He ALWAYS scored even though he was a short, fat, ugly git.

Ooh he sounds like a good catch! :geez: :LOL:

punky

Awwww :hugs: :)

grandmaster
23-07-2005, 16:39
Ooh he sounds like a good catch! :geez: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

punky
23-07-2005, 16:44
I think I know him :erm:

Seriously, his M.O. is that he normally goes after the 35+ contingent which tend to be more...erm... accomodating (i.e. desperate).

Jules
23-07-2005, 16:47
i'll have to dig a picture out hold on......

http://www.jobe.info/testfolder/karma/images/photos/mike-and-ryan.jpg

I'm the fatboy on the left

Is that a black belt I see there young man :)

Seriously, his M.O. is that he normally goes after the 35+ contingent which tend to be more...erm... accomodating (i.e. desperate).

Errrm I am a little (ok a lot!) over 35

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/20.gif

punky
23-07-2005, 16:50
Errrm I am a little (ok a lot!) over 35

Lol. Stay away from the pubs in East London then. He'll wrap his arms around your ankles :)

ellie
23-07-2005, 16:54
Lol. Stay away from the pubs in East London then. He'll wrap his arms around your ankles :)

Lol that IS short :D

Angua
23-07-2005, 18:30
It's nice to be able to hug someone just because you're friends. And I must say from all the piccies of the members here I have seen you are a normal, average, friendly looking bunch!

greencreeper
23-07-2005, 21:14
Indeed - some real cuties :naughty: I won't say more - might scare someone :p:

bb31
23-07-2005, 21:57
the 35+ contingent which tend to be more...erm... accomodating (i.e. desperate).

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:banghead: :knock: :knock: :knock: from me and marge!!

Watch out for our m/o which involves a slow, painful death :erm:

marina
23-07-2005, 22:07

Well done on managing to offend most of the women on here that are over 35 yrs old....... or perhaps you're quoting him? In which case you should have made it clearer.

Either way........ who cares..... i'd better log off and go see where my desperation takes me.... not HERE anymore for a start :)

Angua
24-07-2005, 00:12
Well done on managing to offend most of the women on here that are over 35 yrs old....... or perhaps you're quoting him? In which case you should have made it clearer.

Either way........ who cares..... i'd better log off and go see where my desperation takes me.... not HERE anymore for a start :)

If as they say a picture paints a thousand words I think there are some, more on the lines of Damien Hurst.

punky
24-07-2005, 00:25
I didn't mean to offend anyone here, maybe I should have worded it a bit differently.

It is how he thinks, he told me. In that sense it is like a quote from him. I have never pulled a 35 year old woman, let alone enough to form a representative sample, so I couldn't possibly comment on whether they are easy or choosy. I don't know if he thinks they are easy, or just lack of competition makes it easier, I don't know.

What the hell, anyone else want to join me down here in this nice big hole? There's more than enough room...

Paul K
24-07-2005, 08:40
I didn't mean to offend anyone here, maybe I should have worded it a bit differently.

It is how he thinks, he told me. In that sense it is like a quote from him. I have never pulled a 35 year old woman, let alone enough to form a representative sample, so I couldn't possibly comment on whether they are easy or choosy. I don't know if he thinks they are easy, or just lack of competition makes it easier, I don't know.

What the hell, anyone else want to join me down here in this nice big hole? There's more than enough room...
No, no, no, the hole is all yours mate. Amazing how little time it took you to dig such a nice crater ;)
Anyway, what's wrong with women over 35? They are often more fun, more intelligent, more sensible and more interesting than some of their younger counterparts... (wonder if she is still looking over my shoulder :erm: ;) )

punky
24-07-2005, 11:16
I'm sorry!! :cry:

OK, OK, if I make a donation to Help The Aged, would that help me atone for my sins? ;)

Paul K
24-07-2005, 11:33

OK, OK, if I make a donation to Help The Aged, would that help me atone for my sins? ;)
How deep is that hole getting?

punky
24-07-2005, 11:40
How deep is that hole getting?

Quite deep. I have found Jimmy Hoffa, and I am almost in the mantle :)

Jules
24-07-2005, 11:52

Pmsl that hole is getting deeper by the minute

Welcome back Rammy I have missed you https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/3.gif

Angua
24-07-2005, 12:51
Poor Punky he really needs this:dig:and then if he spreads a few of these :sorry: around he might, just might get a :group:.

Ramrod
24-07-2005, 13:17
There was a phone in on our local radio show today debating how we in the UK greet one another. The presenter had recently returned from France where she had observed a much more tactile syle of greeting. She's not wrong there! I've just returned from the South of France where every greeting between friends was initiated by three kisses! :disturbd:

Welcome back Rammy I have missed you https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/3.gif :dmonk: :D

andyl
24-07-2005, 13:21

I don't need your charity :D

She's not wrong there! I've just returned from the South of France where every greeting between friends was initiated by three kisses! :disturbd: Thomas Cook publishes a book insiude which you'll find a map guiding you as to the correct number of kisses in particular regions.

Poor Punky he really needs this:dig:and then if he spreads a few of these :sorry: around he might, just might get a :group:.

The little whippersnapper can't help it. Hormones play havoc at that tender age :)