PDA

View Full Version : NTL....misleading advert???

Gooch
21-07-2005, 12:04
Please excuse me if this has been mentioned before but:

I just went to ntl.com to check out broadband availability for my Mother in Law. On the front page there is an advert for 1mb Broadband at £9.99. When you go to the "more" button it redirects you to a page where you can check your availability. After checking the avilability it changes from £9.99 for 1mb to £14.99 for 512k.

Am I missing something?

orangebird
21-07-2005, 12:12

I just went to ntl.com to check out broadband availability for my Mother in Law. On the front page there is an advert for 1mb Broadband at £9.99. When you go to the "more" button it redirects you to a page where you can check your availability. After checking the avilability it changes from £9.99 for 1mb to £14.99 for 512k.

Am I missing something?

Yes - looks like your m-i-l is not in a cabled area, and the product you're being offered is ntls off net adsl product, ntl Freedom.

captain747480
21-07-2005, 12:12

Am I missing something?

Orangebird beat me too it!:)

It may be that your Mother in Law lives in an area that isn't covered by the NTL Cable network.

If this is the case you will be offered NTL Freedom which is an ADSL Broadband service from NTL that use a regular (BT) telephone line instead of NTL Cable.

Or the website could just be wrong.

Best advice would be to phone NTL and ask them.

Captain747480

Roy MM
21-07-2005, 12:13
The £9:99 is for 1M BB for the 1st year, the £14:99 is the usual price for 512K. afaik

bob_builder
21-07-2005, 12:24
NTL do not offer a 512K Cable Modem Broadband so it must be for the BT ADSL Braodband.

Nismo
21-07-2005, 12:25
Dont take the availability check on the site as gospel, it didnt list my area as being able to receive any digital services via cable, but in fact it can.

If it dosnt think you can receive cable BB it will offer NTL's ADSL alternative. (NTL Freedom?)

I would call the availability check telephone number instead to make sure.

orangebird
21-07-2005, 12:40
Dont take the availability check on the site as gospel, it didnt list my area as being able to receive any digital services via cable, but in fact it can.

If it dosnt think you can receive cable BB it will offer NTL's ADSL alternative. (NTL Freedom?)

This is what (as I stated in the second post) it has done. Offered offnet 512k at 14.99.