PDA

View Full Version : New NTL BB user troubles

Nismo
21-07-2005, 10:23
Hi all,

I have just moved into my new house and had NTL installed for BB (I was previously a customer at my old address using 3MB as well, so am familiar with how NTL BB works). I signed up for 2MB this time around, and after the delay in getting registered due to the maintenance that was going on for the last couple of weeks, I finally got up and running last night, however I seem to be suffering from a slow connection.

Judging by several speed tests and download speeds, my connection seems to be running at somewhere between 750k and 1Mb speeds, so I checked what I was running at by using the upgrade facility on the NTL site. According to this I was subscribed to the 1MB package (and not the 2MB that I signed up for) so I changed this and it now says that I am subscribed to 2MB. I did notice though that when it said the modem would reboot after the upgrade, nothing happened.

After manually rebooting several times (pulling the power lead out) I am still suffering from poor speeds (750K-1MB).

Is it possible that the upgrade did not go through properly, and the new information was not sent to my modem correctly? Also is it possible that because I am a new customer I wont see the change in speed yet? (its 30 days between online package changes right?)

I'm at work now so cant contact NTL, but will do this evening if I get no joy.

BTW I am in the Mansfield area, and as far as I am aware there are no service problems here.

Stuart
21-07-2005, 10:33
:welcome: to CableForum.

Sounds like whoever entered your details on the system put you down for the wrong speed. I know you upgraded, but it sounds like your modem didn't recieve the "hit" with the new speed.

If you phone Customer Services, they should be able to get the system to re-send the hit (or find out what happened).

Failing that, a number of members are Customer Services people for NTL, perhaps one of those will read this thread (I personally can't help, I don't work for NTL).

Paul K
21-07-2005, 10:35
You may not be able to change your package at the moment.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/176/ntl-upgrades-its-customer-billing-system

Since the upgrades were due to be completed by yesterday it could be that either things are running behind or your request is in a long queue ;) Try rebooting the modem when you get home tonight before you ring up.

Monserrat
22-07-2005, 12:12
When I moved digs (same town) a couple of years ago, I contacted Customer Services and did a transfer. The engineers do work on a schedule, but you can more or less choose the date for the changeover. It would definitely be quicker than signing off their service and re-enrolling.

Nismo
22-07-2005, 12:21
When I moved digs (same town) a couple of years ago, I contacted Customer Services and did a transfer. The engineers do work on a schedule, but you can more or less choose the date for the changeover. It would definitely be quicker than signing off their service and re-enrolling.

Problem is that this is my first house, and before the bill was in my mums name so I wouldnt have been able to transfer it over.

I phoned last night and CS basically said that there was a backlog of people who has either signed up, or done a package change during the maintenance period, therefore my speed upgrade is in queue and the change was listed as 'pending' on their system.

Still, pretty annoying seeing as I should have been on 2MB from the start :/