PDA

View Full Version : is it time to bring back tomorrows world

Millay
21-07-2005, 02:21
Watching a strange programe, dont know on what channel, i gues sit is BBC1.. but they are taking the mik out of tomorrows worls, but it has such a place in this ever changing world, should BBC bring it back..

marky
21-07-2005, 02:38
without tw i would never have seen a person eat of a cd then play it

cd one of my boys got one of my old records out and wanted to know why it had circular scratches :rofl:

Millay
21-07-2005, 03:01
My personal best memory is the 240V B&D drill being submerged in water, yet stil working with the user still having his hands on it, It was a spray that insulated it, apparently from what I heard it never made it... why I just don't know..

Actually, thinking about it a report I read, said about Cd;s not being very robust, aparently the reason is, that orgianl CD's had a high production value (my old CD's Kate Bush, Genesis etc.) still work well but apperently modenr CD's dont follow the original production guidlines.. so the simplest scratch kills them... Its the old story of we pay more for less build quality..

Roy MM
21-07-2005, 03:52
Without a doubt TW was a great programme, William Woollard n all, it run for many a years bringing to us some very inovative ideas, bet a lot of todays inventions were spurred on by this show, bring it back Aunty.

grandmaster
21-07-2005, 08:57
i used to watch it all the time, and thought it was great.!!

Bring it back

zoombini
21-07-2005, 09:37
PRoblem is that nowadays if someone was to prepare a potential product for it, by the time it airs it would alrready be on the market or someone else would pinch the idea from the program & bring it out too.

Jules
21-07-2005, 10:57
I think it should be brought back :tu:

punky
21-07-2005, 11:03
How comes you didn't like it Dilli?

Stuart
21-07-2005, 12:47
Yes! Leave Carol Vorderman out of it though!

zovat
21-07-2005, 14:00
Absolutely - Bring back TW, and we can enjoy being told that we will all be living on the moon, and wearing disposable clothes (actually wasnt that supposed to be by 2000 ? :naughty: )

I used to watch TW every week, and some of their predictions were actually not far off...

Come on Auntie Beeb - bring back a decent program for a change ;)

Graham
21-07-2005, 14:13
Sorry, but Tomorrow's World got *well* past its sell by date IMO.

Yes, it was once a good programme, but the joke was it could have been called "Yesterday's Earth" because they were often talking about "new" stuff that had already been out in public for ages.

I remember watching it at my friends' place and TW talking about a "new" form of tester for diabetics to which our diabetic friend said "Oh, do they mean one of *these*" (holding up an identical item!!

andyl
21-07-2005, 15:14
God, posters want to bring back TW and National Service all in one week on CF?! My Codgers Forum theory is fast gaining weight and my little black book growing ever more full of supporting evidence :D

Angua
21-07-2005, 16:07
Raymond Burke of the flashing eyes:Yikes: :nono:. It was very funny in it's day but now things move on too quickly for the program to keep up.

There is a similar program these days (but IMHO more useful) where they look at inventions with a view to somone taking them through to manufacture.

budwieser
22-07-2005, 00:23
I think it should be brought back :tu:

Yeah, And also Bring back ` Tiswas`

Graham
22-07-2005, 00:40
Yeah, And also Bring back ` Tiswas`

Mmm! Sally James...! :drool:

There again, bring back OTT!!! :naughty:

NEONKNIGHT
22-07-2005, 00:46
This reminds me of the sketch from 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' when they took the p*** out of TW. It involved Rowen Atkinson playing a deaf person answering a telephone. He wore a hat which had a long probe with a light on the end of it which dangled in front of his face. When the light probe flashed on and off he knew the phone was ringing, he then picked the phone up and put it to his ear but because he was deaf he couldn't hear a thing. LOL! :D Maybe not that Politically Correct nowadays but very funny all the same.

:angel:

homealone
22-07-2005, 01:30
they can do it - Kate Humble, do I have to say any more ;)https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/9.jpg

Tuftus
22-07-2005, 01:32
I used to watch that program religously...

Bring it back.

And Phillipa Forrester!!!

:naughty:

homealone
22-07-2005, 01:38
I used to watch that program religously...

Bring it back.

And Phillipa Forrester!!!

:naughty:

look ^ ;)

Millay
22-07-2005, 02:12
Kate Humble, Phillipa Forrester, id be in pure geek heaven..

Tuftus
22-07-2005, 02:15
Kate Humble, Phillipa Forrester, id be in pure geek heaven..

:woot:

deadite66
22-07-2005, 06:58
it was ok untill they started jazzing it up.

Jules
22-07-2005, 10:24
Ok I have to ask, do the men here want to bring it back because they enjoyed the program or because of the female presenters.....men!

bob_a_builder
22-07-2005, 11:32
probably killed as many products as it promoted since they would always want to do it 'live', (why?) and many a product would fail to perform as expected due to some oversight or other

Millay
22-07-2005, 11:48
probably killed as many products as it promoted since they would always want to do it 'live', (why?) and many a product would fail to perform as expected due to some oversight or other

That was half the fun of the programme.

Ok I have to ask, do the men here want to bring it back because they enjoyed the program or because of the female presenters.....men!

What are you trying to suggest :D

Bifta
22-07-2005, 13:12
Tomorrows world was originally pretty interesting, towards the end it got a bit tedious with far too much emphasis placed on health and medicine which as a youngster didn't interest me in the slightest.

budwieser
22-07-2005, 15:05
Mmm! Sally James...! :drool:

There again, bring back OTT!!! :naughty:

MMMMmmmmmmm Sally James!:naughty: Wonder what she`s doing now?

This reminds me of the sketch from 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' when they took the p*** out of TW. It involved Rowen Atkinson playing a deaf person answering a telephone. He wore a hat which had a long probe with a light on the end of it which dangled in front of his face. When the light probe flashed on and off he knew the phone was ringing, he then picked the phone up and put it to his ear but because he was deaf he couldn't hear a thing. LOL! :D Maybe not that Politically Correct nowadays but very funny all the same.

:angel:
'Not The Nine O'Clock News' Used to be absolutely Brilliant!!!! and Pamela Stevenson:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Sorry Billy!:D She did it for me.:p:

Angua
22-07-2005, 15:12
For those of you with fond memories of the show hows this (http://tv.cream.org/a-z/t/tomorrowsworld/)

I see none of the lads remembered the first female presenter on TW, Judith Hann!!!!

Flubflow
22-07-2005, 15:20
Watching a strange programe, dont know on what channel, i gues sit is BBC1.. but they are taking the mik out of tomorrows worls, but it has such a place in this ever changing world, should BBC bring it back..

That would be "Look Around You". It spoofs on the typical educational/scientific programmes of the 70's.
www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/
I thought it was not as funny as reruns of old 70's Tommorrow's World would be.

philip.j.fry
22-07-2005, 15:21
they can do it - Kate Humble, do I have to say any more ;)

She does a good job in Rough Science (or 'Geeks on Holiday' in our house). I'd love to see more science and technology programs back on TV, including TW.

Graham
22-07-2005, 22:55
Kate Humble

She does a good job in Rough Science

The annoying thing about Rough Science is that they hardly ever given any real sort of explanation for *why* the scientists are doing something or *what* the process they're using will actually achieve and *how*.

Compare it with Scrapheap Challenge where they have those very interesting little insets that show how pumps/ differentials/ electric motors/ whatever work, I've learned stuff off those that I didn't know before.

makikomi
23-07-2005, 02:33
I loved Tomorrow's World. It was clever scheduling of the BBC to put it next to Top Of The Pops... catch the kids and educate them about new inventions.