PDA

View Full Version : I want to go on holiday (on my own)

Millay
21-07-2005, 00:17
Im thinking about taking a holiday, I really need a weeks r'n'r away from england, so the plan is going abroad.

two problems with this.

a) I have never been abroad on my own before (im a singleton)
b) the last time I wnet away (1994) On the way back the plane got in som much trouble they switched off all the lights and light the emergency gangway lights! (this is where I had my first ever panick attack im now on tablets for this [it was all caused by my misspent youth [younguns beware]).

Anyone got tips for me on places to go in spain greece type of place, and how to handle being a lone traveler, im not to worried about the flight as I am on good tablets, but any tips is always good, as nowadays you cant get on a flight drunk :)

Basically.. anyone gone on holiday alone, is it worth it, or should i spend my money on a Apple 30" lcd screen?

Charlie_Bubble
21-07-2005, 00:26
Do you speak any foreign languages? This might help you choose a location.

Are you looking to just go somewhere on your own and do your own thing? You might want to think about somewhere that has a lot of things to do/see i.e. architecture, museums, galleries etc, rather than lie on your own on a beach.

Do you talk to people you don't know easily? i.e. could you make friends on the holiday easily.

Would you consider a holiday designed for single people? A couple of years ago when I was single I was going to go on a diving holiday for singles in Cyprus or a little gambling spree in Las Vegas. (This idea was blown out the water by me getting back together with my on-off ex. That didn't last long and I now regret not going to LV or diving! :) )

MadGamer
21-07-2005, 00:29
Im thinking about taking a holiday, I really need a weeks r'n'r away from england, so the plan is going abroad.

two problems with this.

b) the last time I wnet away (1994) On the way back the plane got in som much trouble they switched off all the lights and light the emergency gangway lights! (this is where I had my first ever panick attack im now on tablets for this [it was all caused by my misspent youth [younguns beware]).

Anyone got tips for me on places to go in spain greece type of place, and how to handle being a lone traveler, im not to worried about the flight as I am on good tablets, but any tips is always good, as nowadays you cant get on a flight drunk :)

Basically.. anyone gone on holiday alone, is it worth it, or should i spend my money on a Apple 30" lcd screen? I think its good that your starting to venture out on your own as it gives you independence. If you do go to Greece i reccomend the island "Rhodes", very nice as ive been there and the people are so friendly and welcoming. :)

marky
21-07-2005, 01:20

two problems with this.

Basically.. anyone gone on holiday alone, is it worth it, or should i spend my money on a Apple 30" lcd screen?

if you have read some of my recent posts i sound like ive got or seen everything but in this case i have bean there 37000ft lights go out cant breath you look for the oxygen mask then realise your the only one, everybody else is nagging about the lights coz they cant read the mag that was 60 days after 9/11 ive been taking propranalol ever since but the same year december i took the kids to spain i was wheezy on the way over but kept control and had a great holiday and not a problem on the way home.

get an extra legroom seat and talk to someone on the plane you will be fine i promise if you lived closer i would get on the plane with you
:cleader: just go for it and enjoy yourself and dont forget to use a condom

Millay
21-07-2005, 01:29
tehe, thanks for the replies guys..

Im generally very good at chatting to strangers, but not as good as some, but on holiday, you open up even more.. Im not looking forward to get away from anything, apart from the UK, unfortuantly, i need a Cybercafe nearby, but from what i hear, you need to be in the middle of the mountains before that becomes a problem.

I want to go somewhere lively, where I can sit in a bar and chat to people, bbut not somewhere where its night life only... if that makes sense..

A customer of mine is currently involved in a group called dinner for six, where they dont know each other and just go for dinner, i kinda wannt to be somewhere the same, more sngle people than couples and famillies, not that i want to pull(always a bonus) just interesting people to chat to).

MovedGoalPosts
21-07-2005, 07:04
My recommendation would be to pick an activity based holiday. Maybe sailing / windsurfing / mountain biking / hill walking. There's all sorts of stuff about really. It depends on what takes your fancy. Scuba diving may not be suitable for you, bacause of your need for medication - you'd need a doctor's approval before you started. The activity base proves to be a great ice breaker by creating the common bond. Gives you something to occupy you in the daytime and then you will probably end up as a group in the bars and restaurants in the evening. Many such holidays prove ideal for the singleton.

Scarlett
21-07-2005, 08:29
About the best I can manage is to advise you not to do the club 18-30 holiday unless you like drinking, My brother went on one ages ago and he said that just kept providing bottle and bottles of vodka.

Defn go for the holiday rather than the new screen and I'd plan to spend at least as much there as the hols cost you (probabaly more)

fireman328
21-07-2005, 09:33
Try a Nile cruise, as a single it is a wonderful way of meeting new people. There is usually a mix of couples and singles with first class food on board and the visits to historic sites are usually in the early morning to avoid the heat with the rest of the day sitting on deck watching ancient history sliding by on the banks of the Nile.
I have been 7 times at various times of year and can't wait to go back again.
I usually travel with Voyages Jules Verne (part of Thomas Cook) but there are quite a lot companies who do the trip. You could also combine it with a second week at Sharm el Sheik (sp ?) soaking up the rays or trying scuba diving in the Red Sea.

basa
21-07-2005, 10:32
A lot depends on whether you 'like your own company', i.e. you are happy to be on your own a lot of the time (as opposed being 'alone'). If you can make your own 'fun', interest and entertain yourself then anywhere will do, but if you need others to interact with then you might have a problem and need to investigate an activity type holiday as others have suggested. Be warned though that most holidaymakers are in groups or couples at least.

Some years ago after a divorce I went to California for two weeks alone. I enjoyed it immensely but only after I had got used to the idea I was on my own and could do anything and go anywhere at any time I wished. In fact a quite empowering experience living totally on my own acumen.

Monster Jedi
21-07-2005, 11:29
Goto Gumbit in Turkey. You won't regret that one:D

Millay
21-07-2005, 11:45
Thanks for the feeback people, I think im probably going to look at some kind of acttivity holiday, I was even thinking about one of these holidays where you volunteer and do something usfull for a week or two.

Wicked_and_Crazy
21-07-2005, 12:08
i know people who have used this company and then ended up working for them

http://www.exploreworldwide.com/index.jsp

Jules
21-07-2005, 13:07
Go on a cruise, lots of activities and no flying :tu:

Millay
21-07-2005, 14:23
Im actually thinking of staying in this country again now, and doing a National Trust working holday.. kinda looks like fun and good for single people.

grandmaster
21-07-2005, 15:00
Go scuba diving,

You will always find plenty to talk about and you are guaranteed to meet people.

There was a single lady on our last trip to Egypt, she loved holidaying on her own and always found people to talk to. (like us)

plus the fact it puts a new spin on a holiday and its even a talking point when you get home as well.

Angua
21-07-2005, 15:15
Go for it.:tu:

I went abroad on holiday several times on my own (from the age of 20) and generally had a better time than if I went with friends. I could please myself as to what I did and when and there is usually someone around who will help with suncream (the only bit you really need someone else for). I did go on an 18 to 30's hol (they put you in with someone else of the same gender) but fairly late season so less manic.

Have fun.

Scarlett
21-07-2005, 15:18
Of course, if you really wan to get away from it all there's always these guys (http://www.spaceadventures.com)

Mind you it might be a little bit more than your budget... :D

ikthius
21-07-2005, 16:48
I went on holiday for 2 months on my own, and I will certainly do it again. I went round the world however, but no doubt anywhere is the same.

The hardest thing to do is get on the plane leaving Britain alone, once the plane has taken off, there is no going back, and it is plane sailing (excuse the pun) from then on in.

the holiday will take care of itself, as long as you enjoy your own company and find it easy to mingle with strangers, then you will do fine.

I would say it is easier to go alone than with someone as you do not have to look after anyone, or have to worry about them.

good luck, and it should not matter where you go, as long as you make the holiday what you want to make of it, and you like the country you go to.

ik

Jules
21-07-2005, 17:13
I have a great idea...take me with you, I will talk to you :D

Millay
21-07-2005, 17:46
I have a great idea...take me with you, I will talk to you :D

Thanks for the offer, but can i take the cat in your avatar with me, looks way to cute to leave behind.. :D

Jules
21-07-2005, 17:47
I was going to post a reply in answer to that....then I thought better of it :naughty:

Millay
21-07-2005, 17:51
hmmm the mind boggles :)