PDA

View Full Version : Health advice please. Opticians or Doctors

Angua
20-07-2005, 07:39
My other half has a burst blood vessel in the outer corner (white area) of his right eye. Last night he noticed some blurring of vision in the affected quadrant.

As he is sleeping off nights it is up to me to organise an appointment hence the request for advice on whether he should see an Optician or Doctor.:confused:

Thanks all

purenuman
20-07-2005, 07:42
Me I'd go to the docs or Hospital ASAP!

NHS Direct - 0845 46 47 (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/innerpage.asp?Area=52) will advise.

Be aware of any changes in your vision. Visit your GP as soon as possible if you experience any changes in your vision or pain in or around your eyes

Alanmelon
20-07-2005, 08:18
Hello, Al the Optician here.

The redness sounds very much like a 'sub-conjunctival haemorrhage', just a burst blood vessel really and as a one off its nothing serious and will resolve by itself. It looks worse than it is.

The blurred vision is a little more worrying. If that's still present when he wakes up he should get an appointment with an optician asap, although I really can't think of a condition which would associate these two symptoms. There are various inflammations which can cause redness and blurred vision, but best get it checked by an optician who will refer you if necessary.

GPs don't really know an awful lot about eye conditions and will probably recommend an eye test anyway.

Russ
20-07-2005, 08:24
PM Salu, he knows everything :D

Jules
20-07-2005, 08:59
I would go to the docs

purenuman
20-07-2005, 09:06
I would go to the docs

:tu:

Be aware of any changes in your vision. Visit your GP as soon as possible if you experience any changes in your vision

Even more so if he has diabetes.... but then if he had diabetes he would already know he should go........

Angua
20-07-2005, 09:14
:tu:

Be aware of any changes in your vision. Visit your GP as soon as possible if you experience any changes in your vision

Even more so if he has diabetes.... but then if he had diabetes he would already know he should go........

Definitely doesn't have diabetes (works for a company making diabetic blood monitoring strips).:D

I'ts taken me 3 weeks to get him to the dentist to sort out a missing filling:dozey: so I think as Alanmelon says I will send him off to the opticians (anyone who has gone to the docs with eye problems that I know has always been sent to the opticians):shrug:

purenuman
20-07-2005, 09:23
Definitely doesn't have diabetes (works for a company making diabetic blood monitoring strips).:D

I'ts taken me 3 weeks to get him to the dentist to sort out a missing filling:dozey: so I think as Alanmelon says I will send him off to the opticians (anyone who has gone to the docs with eye problems that I know has always been sent to the opticians):shrug:

Some people have to be comatose before they will have an appointment made at the docs :D

Anyone who has gone to the opticians with an eye injury/damage that I know has always been sent to the docs...... :tu:

Salu
20-07-2005, 11:54
What you need for eye problems is someone who will take ownership of the problem and say "this is what you need to do". As people have pointed out Doctor's training on eyes is not extensive and most rely on "sending on to ophthalmology" as a matter of course.

Angus, you have not mentioned what caused this. By not doing so you make me think that there was no obvious trigger, in which case the most probable condition is what Alanmelon says, a Subconjunctival Haemorrhage which is usually painless and symptomless except for the reddening you describe. This would not cause blurring of vision as the cornea is unaffected by a subconjunctival haemorrhage so the blurring symptom is confusing.

As we don't know the history of these symptoms it would be difficult to comment further without speculating. The history is important as it will enable me to tell you whether you should go to A&E, a GP an optician or self treatment.

Chris
20-07-2005, 11:57
Contrary to what most of the above have said - Alanmelon is an optician, if he says you should see an optician in preference to the doctor, I'd trust him!

Angua
20-07-2005, 22:07
Thanks folks, it's all sorted and according to optician the problem should be gone early next week (no change to his eyesight in 4 years either).

Not so the dentist. One standard removal, one surgical removal, 2 hygenist appointments and an xray.:Yikes:

Thats why I didn't stop going, no scary bills for me.

Raistlin
20-07-2005, 23:04
Not so the dentist. One standard removal, one surgical removal, 2 hygenist appointments and an xray.:Yikes:

There's your problem.....Dentists know nothing about eyes ;)

Seriously, glad it's looking like your other half will be ok :tu:

Alanmelon
21-07-2005, 00:07
Glad to hear its all ok. These little haemorrages are normally quite innocent on their own and can be caused by things like sneezing or rubbing the eyes too hard, but keep a check on it. Recurrance can require further investigation.