PDA

View Full Version : Disconnects

Tricky
19-07-2005, 11:19
OK having read the following thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=30291) I have decided to start a new one as the last few pages of that one have gone down the "I'm changing provider route".

I too have been having problems with disconnects, but only during the evening and through the early hours of the morning. I have been on the Internet since 7am today without a single problem.

Last night - just regular (small amount) of surfing sites (no videos/music/flash) and a bit of MSN I was getting disconnected every 10 mins or so.

Checked my levels today:
Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.4 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV

Using a NTL:250 (Blue) modem since my last engineer visit

I have been having these problems since late May/early June finally reported it 15-06 and many calls back later got a new modem as above. This has not resolved the problem pretty much as per the thread above.

I am running on the 3mb service again like the previous thread.

I run PRTG to monitor my usage and see the reports (Coverage %) shows that I lost connections quite a bit between 8pm and 9pm, but also at 2am and 4am for about 10 minutes (I was not surfing at this time - but PC is on)

I don't think it's heat as I have place the modem in a far cooler place than where it was original.

I have tried PC connected directly to modem to rule out my network/router - yes I've swapped the ethernet lead.

Whilst the reboot of the modem does cure the problem (for a indifferent amount of time) this is not really a solution.

Can anyone suggest what my next steps should be, I am guessing my incident/fault is closed with NTL as the engineer swapped the modem from the 100 model.

DWW
19-07-2005, 13:43
What lights are on your modem when you loose the connection?

Splink
19-07-2005, 16:03
I am having exactly the same problems. Fine during the day, but disconnects and slow speeds during the evening. I've also tried everything usually suggested too - new lead, direct pc-to-modem connection, etc.

I have a Terayon TJ210 and when the disconnects happen the cable light will blink out, and a modem reboot will make it come back on after it flashes for a while. Sometimes it'll happen several times an hour, and having to reboot the modem every time this happens is not a good solution.

Raistlin
19-07-2005, 18:43
I've just started getting this too.

My modem keeps locking up, DHCP Renew requests from the router fail, and I lose connectivity until I reboot the modem.

Any chance that the modem is on its way out and that I need a new one, or is it likely to be just a temporary glitch that will right itself?

DWW
19-07-2005, 18:52
Hi spink,

I would take an educated guess that you both have signal issues to the modem. ask for an engineer to visit as if you are having to reboot the modem that often it could be faulty or losing the signal. i'm not fully familiar with this modem but generally when the cable light flashes on others the upstream or return path drops out due to a noisy amp somewhere nearby or even by someone with a chipped box in the area.

Tricky
19-07-2005, 20:57
What lights are on your modem when you loose the connection?

Normally POWER, ENET, SYNC & READY all static
If I try ping etc. I get the SEND flashing but never RECV

Albie
21-07-2005, 09:13
Mine has been playing up too. Lost connection five or six times yesterday.

Reminded me of being back on dial-up. :Yikes:

Splink
22-07-2005, 19:50
Hi spink,

I would take an educated guess that you both have signal issues to the modem. ask for an engineer to visit as if you are having to reboot the modem that often it could be faulty or losing the signal. i'm not fully familiar with this modem but generally when the cable light flashes on others the upstream or return path drops out due to a noisy amp somewhere nearby or even by someone with a chipped box in the area.

You are right. Phoned NTL tech support. The first lady I spoke to said she couldn't really do anything unless I was experiencing a disconnect at the time of the call... :confused: but by the time I get through after all the options and what-not, the modem usually reconnects itself. The second time though I got a very useful chap and he confirmed there is a SNR issue on the line. He put me through to the fault department and an engineer is coming out next week. :)

capone126
22-07-2005, 22:00
OK having read the following thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=30291) I have decided to start a new one as the last few pages of that one have gone down the "I'm changing provider route".

I too have been having problems with disconnects, but only during the evening and through the early hours of the morning. I have been on the Internet since 7am today without a single problem.

Last night - just regular (small amount) of surfing sites (no videos/music/flash) and a bit of MSN I was getting disconnected every 10 mins or so.

Checked my levels today:
Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.4 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV

Using a NTL:250 (Blue) modem since my last engineer visit

I have been having these problems since late May/early June finally reported it 15-06 and many calls back later got a new modem as above. This has not resolved the problem pretty much as per the thread above.

I am running on the 3mb service again like the previous thread.

I run PRTG to monitor my usage and see the reports (Coverage %) shows that I lost connections quite a bit between 8pm and 9pm, but also at 2am and 4am for about 10 minutes (I was not surfing at this time - but PC is on)

I don't think it's heat as I have place the modem in a far cooler place than where it was original.

I have tried PC connected directly to modem to rule out my network/router - yes I've swapped the ethernet lead.

Whilst the reboot of the modem does cure the problem (for a indifferent amount of time) this is not really a solution.

Can anyone suggest what my next steps should be, I am guessing my incident/fault is closed with NTL as the engineer swapped the modem from the 100 model.

i have done all that 500 times since my problem began in december 2004 when they 1st started maintence.

i use the net for my webhosting company, online play.
on 5-12 hours a day
since december on average theres about 15 timeouts where i lose net for 5 minutes although cable data etc all flashing but it just aint working.
brought 2-3 times engineerr they say im wasting time blah blah and should check my wires well no problems with my wire cause cable always on n it goes directly to my pc when i unplug router yet it still happens.

so the problems lies with ntl, they say aint cable box and not them but they said 2 months agoo it should get better.
well 2day and yeasterday i time out every 5-15 minutes atm.

i aint anti ntl just annoyed with broadband, i got nps with the tv side.