PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem? Samsung and 3mb

ZrByte
19-07-2005, 01:03
Basicly ive noticed that ever since getting the samsung box installed about a year ago my internet connection will drop and restore it self at random intervals roughly every 5-120mins when using my internet connection constantly (e.g. P2P or playing an online game).
When using a p2p service it happens most frequently, especially on programs like azureus (bit torrent) when there are a large number of peers/seeds connected or if my upload is maxed out, though it has been known to drop the connection even with only one peer connected and no upload.
When playing games it is much less frequent and the pauses are only normally momentary and will quickly restore to normal. However connection disruptions are still present and still often dont restore quickly enough and will result in me being ejected from the server I'm playing on. It also happens more often if two or more people are playing from my house on the one internet connection.

Basicly from what I can tell the fault seems to be related to using even slight amounts of upload (as p2p uses small amounts of upload for protocol). Yet odly I can download through IE all day long with no disruptions.

I was going to mention this in one of the other sections of the forum but since it seems directly related to the installation of my newer STB I thought I'd ask here.

I havent rang up CS yet as I wanted to know if this was a common fault that maybe I could do something about beforehand, or maybe even something really obvious that ive overlooked like a broken ethernet cable etc.

My PC is hardwired to an Origo 108Mbps wireless turbo router wich is in turn connected to the silver samsung box on 3mb (though it has been doing this since back when it was 1mb). This setup worked fine on my older Pace 2000 box before the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

marky
19-07-2005, 01:07
i've had that i was told flash memory i had a pace wich got replaced with the samsung and now a SACM was told it was the only way:D

AmAtoL
25-07-2005, 22:50
So what you are saying markymoan there is a box available that will cure this problem ?

I'm on 3mb running through a Samsung STB and also experience this kind of fault, as would a lot of people it appears, so is it possible that a new/different box would fix it ?

TIA

Ignition
25-07-2005, 23:07
Basicly ive noticed that ever since getting the samsung box installed about a year ago my internet connection will drop and restore it self at random intervals roughly every 5-120mins when using my internet connection constantly (e.g. P2P or playing an online game).
When using a p2p service it happens most frequently, especially on programs like azureus (bit torrent) when there are a large number of peers/seeds connected or if my upload is maxed out, though it has been known to drop the connection even with only one peer connected and no upload.
When playing games it is much less frequent and the pauses are only normally momentary and will quickly restore to normal. However connection disruptions are still present and still often dont restore quickly enough and will result in me being ejected from the server I'm playing on. It also happens more often if two or more people are playing from my house on the one internet connection.

Basicly from what I can tell the fault seems to be related to using even slight amounts of upload (as p2p uses small amounts of upload for protocol). Yet odly I can download through IE all day long with no disruptions.

I was going to mention this in one of the other sections of the forum but since it seems directly related to the installation of my newer STB I thought I'd ask here.

I havent rang up CS yet as I wanted to know if this was a common fault that maybe I could do something about beforehand, or maybe even something really obvious that ive overlooked like a broken ethernet cable etc.

My PC is hardwired to an Origo 108Mbps wireless turbo router wich is in turn connected to the silver samsung box on 3mb (though it has been doing this since back when it was 1mb). This setup worked fine on my older Pace 2000 box before the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

I'd put money on it being that cheap, nasty and underspecified wireless router to be honest, bet it can't handle the open connections and/or has a problem with UDP - the protocol which powers part of the Bittorent protocol and all games.

Try it without the wireless see how you do.

ZrByte
26-07-2005, 18:30
I'd put money on it being that cheap, nasty and underspecified wireless router to be honest, bet it can't handle the open connections and/or has a problem with UDP - the protocol which powers part of the Bittorent protocol and all games.

Try it without the wireless see how you do.

I would agree if it wasnt for the fact that it started within a week of the samsung being installed and worked fine for a couple of months before this on a pace 2000 box.
Ive also noticed that putting the box on standby seems to reduce the amount of connection errors but it doesnt stop them.