PDA

View Full Version : A Question

coventrycityfan
18-07-2005, 21:04
At the moment i'm a 20 year old uni student just finished 1st year starting 2nd year in october and currently off for summer, at the moment i am applying for a number of jobs and nothing has come about to date.
However seeing as i go to the Job Centre every Wednesday i am considering asking about the Jobseekers Allowance. This is not my own decision as i've discussed this with my parents and ideally they would want me to find work but they think signing on at the Job centre would be a good idea for me.
I guess i'm asking a question, would i be ok for applying for this and more to the point i am only doing this as i need money between now and october and i already pay 50 pound rent to my parents especially covering the broadband etc
any advice?

Roy MM
18-07-2005, 21:09
K age? your parents a resposable till you 18 in full time education before you can get JS allowance, have you tried agencies for employment?

marky
18-07-2005, 21:09
i'm no expert but the money you get as a student is that for the whole year if it is then the only help you will get is a claimant adviser to help you find work

jellybaby
18-07-2005, 21:11
People who are studying full-time cannot usually get JSA. For more information about how studying affects JSA and other benefits, see leaflet GL19: School-leavers and students.

Taken from http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/497#caniget

coventrycityfan
18-07-2005, 21:12
Roy MM,
i've signed up with one agency, i actually went to the interview but i got told that 'the factories are shutting down in summer and as of yet they haven't got any new contracts available'
marky you are correct the money i get as a student covers all 3 terms during the year

jellybaby
18-07-2005, 21:13
Abit more from the site :-

Studying
You cannot usually get JSA if you are studying full-time. If you are one of a couple who are both full-time students and one of you is responsible for a child, you may be able to get JSA during the summer vacation.

If you are studying part-time, but are still available for and actively seeking work, you may be able to get JSA. This will also depend on the number of hours you study and your other circumstances.

If you are aged 25 or over and have been unemployed for 2 years or more, you may be able to do a full-time employment-related course for up to a year and still get JSA.

You may be able to do an Open University course and still get JSA.

coventrycityfan
18-07-2005, 21:14
jelly cheers for that link can you post the leaflet Gl19 as i cannot find that if possible.

xcdtowg
19-07-2005, 17:33
You can't claim any benefits while at university in full time edcuation, the council LEA pay out your loan and thats like having a benefit, so they say.
However if you were estranged from your parents, in the holidays if you cannot find work, you may have been entitled.
But to be honest your better off just trying to find a job and even if you were able to sign on they would give you any crappy job quite quickly.
Plus dealing with the council over any benefits is a pain, the make it an awful hassle so people dont claim.
Good luck finding work :)
Just got a job myself after a month of hunting, you'll get there in the end :)

coventrycityfan
19-07-2005, 17:52
Cheers mate,
So i assume from what you told me there is a small chance that the Jobcentre could help me.
I must admit it does get very fustrating finding work then applying and hearing nothing and then getting a letter saying you haven't been accepted,that is what i've had since finishing uni.
I've got till the start of october which is about 11 weeks away so i've still got plenty of time to find something