PDA

View Full Version : Google where is it?And Yahoo search?

Maggy
05-10-2003, 23:51
The only search site that is working is Ask Jeeves.It's been like this for 3 days now.Can anyone shed any light on this?The only Google I can get is Images search and that's through Ask Jeeves.Otherwise all I get is The Page Cannot be Displayed page.Yes I know Ask is ok but it's not as thorough as Google.

Has anyone else got this problem?

Incog. :(

imback
05-10-2003, 23:53
The only search site that is working is Ask Jeeves.It's been like this for 3 days now.Can anyone shed any light on this?The only Google I can get is Images search and that's through Ask Jeeves.Otherwise all I get is The Page Cannot be Displayed page.Yes I know Ask is ok but it's not as thorough as Google.

Has anyone else got this problem?

Incog. :(

I can use them both fine, have heard someone else say the same thing about google, something to do with NTL's DNS problem maybe?

As a side note, I heard someone mention today there is some virus or worm that is specify odd dns servers on MS machines? Anyone got any more info on this?

keithwalton
06-10-2003, 01:09
it could be a dns problem with ntl, or you could of caught the recent virus which messes with dns settings, one of my housemates caught it the other day and it caused a fair amount of nusance trying to work out what it was, as it couldnt get to most sites they were resolving wrong even though we have a dns server on our house network which my computer was using fine.

hth

K

Maggy
06-10-2003, 08:41
it could be a dns problem with ntl, or you could of caught the recent virus which messes with dns settings, one of my housemates caught it the other day and it caused a fair amount of nusance trying to work out what it was, as it couldnt get to most sites they were resolving wrong even though we have a dns server on our house network which my computer was using fine.

hth

K

So how would one know if one had this virus?What would be the solution?

I doubt that I do have it though as I can get to all other sites with no problems.

Incog. :)

iadom
06-10-2003, 11:37
So how would one know if one had this virus?What would be the solution?

I doubt that I do have it though as I can get to all other sites with no problems.

This is the virus being referred to,
http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3141

Maggy
06-10-2003, 12:07
This is the virus being referred to,
http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3141

Well none of the info is of any use to me because that gives advice for XP and I'm ME.

However if I ping google I get

C:\WINDOWS> ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [207.44.220.30] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.44.220.30:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\WINDOWS>

So maybe I do have it as I note the [207.44.220.30] is the same as in
MovedGoalPosts posting in that thread.Hmm!

**My AV supplier www.pandasoftware.co.uk doesnt list that name. They do however show a similar effect virus detected a few days ago

Trojan:HATOY.A

It too changes the DNS settings although the address given is different: 207.44.220.30**

I wonder what to do now.

Incog.Off to run AV.

imback
06-10-2003, 12:14
Have you tried specifying a proxy server?

Maggy
06-10-2003, 12:41
Have you tried specifying a proxy server?

No.
I was having problems last week because my browser couldn't detect proxy settings for any site over 3 minutes so I was advised to untick the automatically detect settings box after which I was able to connect straight away.However even reticking the box doesn't sort the problem.

And my AV has fouind nothing.

Paul K
06-10-2003, 12:56
Did you update your virus definitions before running your AV scan Incog and what AV are you running?

Paul K
06-10-2003, 13:03
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.removal.tool.html might help you out if it is the QHost virus

Maggy
06-10-2003, 13:04
Did you update your virus definitions before running your AV scan Incog and what AV are you running?

Yes I did.I update every 4 hours if I'm online and once every day if I'm not.

I'm using Esets Nod32.It's caught everything so far.

http://www.esetsoftware.co.uk/

Paul K
06-10-2003, 13:12
Did you try that removal tool just in case? Don't forget to turn off system restore before you run it or the virus may stay in your restore files.

Maggy
06-10-2003, 13:32
Did you try that removal tool just in case? Don't forget to turn off system restore before you run it or the virus may stay in your restore files.

Yes and it wasn't on my system.Thank you anyway.:tu:

Back to the drawing board.

Maggy
06-10-2003, 19:41
Well after a Spybot seach and destroy session I have Yahoo back but not Google.Found two bots that were redirecting .One was for MSN search and the other was for Google search .Sorting them out hasn't really resolved anything much apart from Yahoo.

The thing is I'm not sure that it is a DNS trojan as identified in that other thread.After those are supposed to redirect the browser to another page but all I get is the Page not found.

Weird.Never mind I can live without Google if I still have Lycos or Yahoo.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

Incog.

Paul K
06-10-2003, 22:59
Some trojans redirect to a page some are coded to redirect to a non-existant page or one that has since been closed down.
Only thing I can sugest is to make sure your spybot is fully updated, if it found them it should have removed them. There is one that re-installs itself if not fully removed properly, have posted this in your thread on .com
Try a search for bootconf.exe on your PC if you have it you need a tool to rip it out as it re-installs the trojan.

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 00:55
http://216.239.51.99

That is googles IP address not the one you specified earlier,

Looks like the virus already got you.

Dont mean to be awful here but If symantec and other Virus companies have already seen which site the page is being director TO I would have though the ISP would already know and suspect that there may be some wrongdoing on that page and then have shut the site down hence why you get the page not found.

IF you ever get this problem again go to www.network-tools.com

Tick the PING section and then type in the domain name you want to find the IP addrfess.

go try it with www.yahoo.com

Maggy
07-10-2003, 16:39
http://216.239.51.99

That is googles IP address not the one you specified earlier,

Looks like the virus already got you.

Dont mean to be awful here but If symantec and other Virus companies have already seen which site the page is being director TO I would have though the ISP would already know and suspect that there may be some wrongdoing on that page and then have shut the site down hence why you get the page not found.

IF you ever get this problem again go to www.network-tools.com

Tick the PING section and then type in the domain name you want to find the IP addrfess.

go try it with www.yahoo.com

Thank you very much,your help is very much appreciated.

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 16:49
Anyone else who know of any of their friends who gets infected then the removal tool is here.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.removal.tool.html

Remember those people may not be able to go to the website to get this fix so you can be a better friend by helping them

How do you connect to their PC?

If they are using XP then you can st up remote Desktop.

Other wise Use a remote assistance tools such as VNC

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 16:53
Anyone else who know of any of their friends who gets infected then the removal tool is here.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.removal.tool.html

Remember those people may not be able to go to the website to get this fix so you can be a better friend by helping them

How do you connect to their PC?

If they are using XP then you can set up remote Desktop.

Other wise use a remote assistance tool

Maggy
07-10-2003, 19:37
I'm sorted thanks to a suggestion at TOS.

I went to this site as suggested http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/

and downloaded HajackThis.

I cleared out all the google and yahoo stuff and now I can get to Google the usual way.

So I've patched IE6,searched for the DNS virus using the Symantic removal tool(no virus)run three differant Spyware applications(cleared out lots of crap) and I now have a new tool to clear out those naughty redirecting hijacking programmes.

I'm wondering just how much more crap I shall have to download to get rid of the other crap and what new crap I shall have to look out for.It's no wonder a 40 GB hard disk is getting smaller by the minute.The internet is definitely full of crap. :)

Incog :kiss:

Tiptoes
08-10-2003, 02:56
For anyone who has had this problem to be on the safe side they are probably better just looking for all files names "hosts" and e then deleting them.

Quicker than having tio tick all those boxes , in that Hijack program. (It is a good un though)