PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Installation

James79
16-07-2005, 17:03
I suspect that this may have been answered elsewhere, but unfortunately I cannot find any clear answers.

My sister had just had a broadband connection installed by NTL. The modem is a small blue "Ntl Cable Modem". To the rear of the unit (where the connection points are located, a yellow sticker has been sited, which states "Do not connect the cable modem to your computer until prompted by the Broadband Installation Disc" (Or something to that effect). :erm:

What I was wondering is - can the account not be set up without the CD? I am aware that it installs alot of crap onto a computer, and this isnt appreciated, especially where hard drive capacity is at a premium!! :)

I remember when I installed mine (probably about three years ago) that we had to go through the process of the "autoreg.????.net" site, inputting a pin number and a serial number. Surely this can still be done?

I guess what Im really asking is, if I attempt to install it in this way, will it screw up their account? I know the PC is capable of connecting to BB, because it was mine up until I recently replaced it. (I'll be connecting by Ethernet by the way - W98 & USB just dont mix well!!)

Any help or advice on this topic is greatly appreciated as always!! :D

James :disturbd:

JohnHorb
16-07-2005, 17:09
Should be able to register OK without the CD, BUT not till Wednesday afternoon - the registration service is down till then for some 'upgrade' work.

This may help

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13

James79
16-07-2005, 17:24
Oh yes, forgot to mention that too. My sister was told about that. Was supposed to go to her house this morning an install it, but the "upgrade work" put stop to that!!

The guy who installed it was very helpful too!! He gave her a connector and said that if they attached it to the cable wire, then to the TV, they'd be able to get Channels 1 - 5 in digital quality. Now all we have to do is find some way of connecting the cable to the TV and Cable Modem simultaneously!! But their picture quality is good enough at the moment, so this isnt a priority! :)

James

jaycee
17-07-2005, 22:48
The guy who installed it was very helpful too!! He gave her a connector and said that if they attached it to the cable wire, then to the TV, they'd be able to get Channels 1 - 5 in digital quality. Now all we have to do is find some way of connecting the cable to the TV and Cable Modem simultaneously!! But their picture quality is good enough at the moment, so this isnt a priority! :)

DO NOT DO THIS. Why on earth an engineer is recommending you do so is beyond me. You will cause signal interference on your cable feed which will cause problems with your modem by doing so.

The only proper way to recieve TV through NTL is to have a digital TV package with them.

ian@huth
17-07-2005, 23:02

JamesIt would only give analogue channels, not digital.

James79
18-07-2005, 20:02
The guy who installed it...said that...they'd be able to get Channels 1 - 5 in digital quality.

See the quote (paraphrased) above, this is what the guy told them! Anyhow, their picture quality is great without the need for this - so they wont be doing it.

James

handyman
18-07-2005, 20:15
It would only give analogue channels, not digital.

Probably something to do with ntl sourcing the terrestrial chanels locally from the bbc freeview digital broadcast.

jaycee
18-07-2005, 21:47
I have read it is mostly to do with when they were required by some local councils to provide an unencoded analogue feed to certain areas. If you read somewhere else on these forums, an NTL engineer goes into how this is one of the biggest problems with noise on the network (since as inside TV's pick up all kind of rubbish) being injected into the system from direct, unisolated connections to TV RF sockets.