PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Wimbledon

Jamie
22-06-2003, 03:06
We have just placed an article on our homepage (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/) concerning Wimbledon 2003 coverage.

Here are some screenshots of the service available to Bromley platform digital TV customers, and we would like to invite everyone to comment if they would like to.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/06/3.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/06/4.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/06/5.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/06/6.jpg

Tristan
22-06-2003, 03:51
I was going to say how impressive they looked, but I've just noticed something.

Ex-CWC remotes don't have a 'Select' button, they have 'OK'.

Are you sure these aren't just screenshots from last year's Sky service?

Jamie
22-06-2003, 03:55
The information we received earlier from a reliable source, contained text and the screenshots you see above.

th'engineer
22-06-2003, 08:48
Originally posted by Tristan
I was going to say how impressive they looked, but I've just noticed something.

Ex-CWC remotes don't have a 'Select' button, they have 'OK'.

Are you sure these aren't just screenshots from last year's Sky service?

You know NTL incorrect info select instead of OK very customer focused

Jarandco
22-06-2003, 10:46
This should be good then!

bigitup_j
22-06-2003, 11:50
looks very good. and ex-cwc people will, just have to remember that press slect means press ok. i think i can manage that

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 21:40
I find that the interactive tends to distract me from the actual programme,when it works.
Off Topic:
How do I know if I'm on Langley or Bromley?

Derek
22-06-2003, 22:42
Originally posted by Bill Payer
I find that the interactive tends to distract me from the actual programme,when it works.
Off Topic:
How do I know if I'm on Langley or Bromley?

Where abouts in the country are you?

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 22:50
Originally posted by dezzo
Where abouts in the country are you?
South Wales.

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 23:03
Originally posted by Jamie
We have just placed an article on our homepage (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/) concerning Wimbledon 2003 coverage.
... available to Bromley platform digital TV customers

So,no point in my pressing the self destruct button!
Now,where's that sales-man who told me all about the wonderful interactive services I'd get by switching to digital?:mad:

Daniel H
22-06-2003, 23:21
Now,where's that sales-man who told me all about the wonderful interactive services I'd get by switching to digital?:mad:

:D

Derek
22-06-2003, 23:31
So,no point in my pressing the self destruct button!

Well you will get them.

Eventually.

We think. :D

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 23:32
Originally posted by dezzo
Well you will get them.

Eventually.

We think. :D

...along with Caller ID. ;)

Bob
23-06-2003, 12:55
So whats it like then?

Any problems?

iadom
23-06-2003, 13:54
Originally posted by Bob
So whats it like then?

Any problems?

Wow, It is actually working. looks very good, at least five different courts to choose from and once the initial pages have loaded it seems to switch between courts fairly quickly.:cool:

Tristan
23-06-2003, 14:22
Indeed, it is *adopts Billl & Ted voice*most excellent! *guitar riff*

Jarandco
23-06-2003, 16:19
Yeah it worked perfectly, took a little while to laod first time but its perfect no probelms and its actually very good!

Well done NTL!

bob_builder
23-06-2003, 17:44

Here are some screenshots of the service available to Bromley platform digital TV customers, and we would like to invite everyone to comment if they would like to.

Will Langley get the Wimbledon video feeds like last year (even if they do not get the interactive stuff)?

Tristan
23-06-2003, 17:57
Originally posted by bob_builder
Will Langley get the Wimbledon video feeds like last year (even if they do not get the interactive stuff)?

Nope. Aparently the BBC and NTL haven't got clearance from the Secretary of State to allow the BBC to put on extra digital channels.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

allanprg
23-06-2003, 23:02
The Wimbledon interactive is very good. Let's have more;) :smokin: :wavey:

rippedoff
24-06-2003, 12:09

OH NO ! Here we go again! I am in Lambeth, South London, ex-CWC, Digital TV, Bromley Platform... or so I've been told......
BUT I DO NOT GET INTERACTIVE. When will people get it right? not all ex-cwc / videotron customers get interactive , CR3 or Broadband for that matter. It also looks like we are not likely to get any upgrades for a very long time.
Can someone who knows (MoneyPenny?) please list those areas in London who DO get intercative (CR3) and those who DO NOT get it?

Thanks,
The ever frustrated Rippedoff!
:cry: :cry:

gary_580
24-06-2003, 13:45
"With Wimbledon 2003 about to open on Monday, June the 23rd, ntl digital customers on the Langley platform will be pleased to hear that they've drawn the short straw and have no enhanced TV functionality with multi-screen action. Langley platform customers will get to press that red button, and end up on the BBC coverage of this years event within the digital interactive service."

Doesnt this sound like someone having a laugh at their own customers????

Funny how everyone pays the same but we get differing levels of service.

Tristan
24-06-2003, 14:33
Originally posted by gary_580

Given the way NTL treated ex-CWC customers for the first year or two of ownership, and how much extra we had to pay for internet access which you did not (I was having to pay £25 pm for what you got for free), wanting to pay less just because you can't see a couple more tennis matches sounds a bit pathetic, IMO.

rippedoff
24-06-2003, 14:36
Originally posted by gary_580

This is what I have been saying for some time now with regard to the situation in London, but to no avail. Maybe on the new NTHW some people might take notice!
:shrug:

rippedoff
24-06-2003, 20:15
Given the way NTL treated ex-CWC customers for the first year or two of ownership, and how much extra we had to pay for internet access which you did not (I was having to pay £25 pm for what you got for free), wanting to pay less just because you can't see a couple more tennis matches sounds a bit pathetic, IMO.

I think you may be missing the point! It's not about the tennis, it's about the fact that service varies so much around the country-depending on where you are, and who the original cable co. was.
Its also about the fact that there appears to be differing levels of investment being made by the same formula. Your little dig about paying £25 pm more - can you explain? Itsounds a little pathetic to me.
:D

gary_580
24-06-2003, 21:42

thats a joke, i had to wait 2 years to get NTL internet. Ended up getting broadband 2 months after i got NTL internet

gary_580
24-06-2003, 21:44
Originally posted by rippedoff
This is what I have been saying for some time now with regard to the situation in London, but to no avail. Maybe on the new NTHW some people might take notice!
:shrug:

i agree entirely, until NTL can offer a consistant service to everyone how cant the expect them all to pay the same?

Gogogo
27-06-2003, 09:12
Whilst ntl deny interactive services to exCWC, exVideotron customers it's very interesting to see the Freeview can provide interactive services for Wimbledon not bad either no multiscreen but otherwise offering a service as far as we are concerned better than anything ntl deny to its own loyal customers.

:spin:

Tristan
27-06-2003, 19:10
Even worse (for CR1 people, anyway) is the fact that the Wimbledon app doesn't require a return path -- I just loaded it up while the middle light of my STB was flashing...

With regards to paying extra, NTL (and in fairness, all the other TV companies too) have always regarded interactive as something 'extra', that's thrown in for free if you're lucky enough to get it, rather than a service on its own.

Tristan
27-06-2003, 19:11
Even worse (for CR1 people, anyway) is the fact that the Wimbledon app doesn't require a return path -- I just loaded it up while the middle light of my STB was flashing...

Hell, the middle light has been flashing for a couple of hours here (must be a fault at the headend, or something), and CR3 has not shown any signs of any problems.

With regards to paying extra, NTL (and in fairness, all the other TV companies too) have always regarded interactive as something 'extra', that's thrown in for free if you're lucky enough to get it, rather than a service on its own.

binary
30-06-2003, 20:12
Where (physically) is ther Langley super-headend?

i.e. Which Langley- Warwickshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire etc?

(Sorry for being off-topic - this was being discussed earlier in this thread!)

Proppinupthebar
30-06-2003, 20:49
Berkshire.

iadom
01-07-2003, 09:45
The Wimbledon interactive was a bit ropey yesterday. Very slow to load and on the five split screens, no players details or scores where showing, only the small pictures. The fault may have been at the BBC end, some of the graphics appeared to be causing problems when Sue Barker was giving out details of the Agassi v Philippoussis match.

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 09:52
Interactive on Freeview is great, no problem.

:eek:

iadom
01-07-2003, 10:23
Originally posted by Gogogo
Interactive on Freeview is great, no problem.

:eek:

Do you get everything shown in Jamie's screenshots at the start of this thread?

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 10:34
You can select your court, live scores, results, chat, order of play etc more or less the same but as yet no multiscreen, otherwise excellent.

:wavey:

iadom
01-07-2003, 16:23
Just put Wimbledon on again and the interactive is still not working correctly. On the multi-screen display there is no court/players/ score details. Tried both my STB's, same on both.:(

Any one else able to view Wimbledon interactive properly via Ntl.?

Going to watch the cricket instead now.:)

Pieman
01-07-2003, 16:25
I noticed that yesterday - I didn't even get the press Red in the corner of the screen during the days play...........

Any ideas ????

iadom
01-07-2003, 16:47
Just checked the "Menu" features and the "All Scores" and "Results" are also not working.

iadom
02-07-2003, 16:16
This is more like it.:( The Wimbledon interactive is not working at all today. "Unexpected error, please contact CS if problem persists" error number UN500:mad: :mad:

Oliver
02-07-2003, 16:25
Working ok for me here, slower than yesterday though.

Gogogo
02-07-2003, 16:44
Freeview interatcive for Wimbledon superb no problems at all.

:wavey:

iadom
02-07-2003, 17:03
Just rebooted both boxes and it seems to have cleared the fault. I am now getting the scores and other details on the multi screen display.

I did notice an Ntl tech with his head in a large green cabinet just down the road yesterday, don't suppose that could have caused it.:confused:

bigitup_j
02-07-2003, 20:56
could be new customer. or your box wasn't getting a good return power, so reboot needed. it could not retrieve the data needed for the application.

MoneyPenny
03-07-2003, 07:44
All I can say re: London is that Greenwich & Lewisham will be BB enabled by end August 2003

iadom
03-07-2003, 09:33
Originally posted by bigitup_j
could be new customer. or your box wasn't getting a good return power, so reboot needed. it could not retrieve the data needed for the application.

Have had one STB for over 2 years, the other almost as long. Wimbledon interactive worked fine for the first 2 days before going wonky. OK since reboot at the moment.;)

binary
03-07-2003, 11:39
Hi Miss MoneyPenny. Can I be a bit cheeky and direct you towards this thread "Still waiting for London Broadband" (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=636), specifically to the questions I asked Mark W in post# 5 about the state of the network in London.

Am glad to hear that broadband is comng to Greenwich & Lewisham, that will please some friends, but would like to hear any news of it coming to Southwark and Lambeth (franchise code 516).

binary
05-07-2003, 19:22
The thread cited above has now been merged with another concerning broadband specifically in south London, thus the above link is now inaccurate.

Follow this link to the new "Merged: London Broadband" thread (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=548).