PDA

View Full Version : Im a bad person :(

neo123
16-07-2005, 09:30
Hello guys. First off all id like to say im genuinely sorry for what i have done, i know NTL employees are on here. I will come out clean and tell the truth, please dont ban me.

It started when i got kicked out of somebody's game server unfairly, they were running from home in the US. So I did a very stupid thing, and ran a portscan tool. The person has now reported me to NTL and i don't want to loose my service.

Please can you give me a little advice on what is going to happen to me. My mum will go mad.

nibbles
16-07-2005, 09:36
if u didn't attack the machine or do any damage nothing port scans are not illegal

neo123
16-07-2005, 09:37
Yes. But how come under the complaints page there IS portscan http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/NetReport/index.php

bmxbandit
16-07-2005, 09:42
Please can you give me a little advice on what is going to happen to me. My mum will go mad.

You must not use the Services to carry out Port scanning/probing (which is an attempt to identify an open gateway into another Internet user's machine). Where it has been identified that an account has been used for this activity ntl may withdraw the Services without notice. (http://www.home.ntl.com/page/userpolicy)
if it's only happened once, i would imagine they won't terminate your service on the spot - for all they know it could be as a result of a virus or something.

it's quite possible ntl will contact you though, if someone has made a complaint.

neo123
16-07-2005, 09:51
Oh no :( I dont want to loose my internet...what can i do...what can i do!!!

My mum is gonna go mad if they phone. And i didnt mean to do all this, now im in a right mess arenty I :sobs: :(. What can i do to make it better?

Millay
16-07-2005, 09:52
Neo, Sit tight you wont loose your service, that I feel sure of.

Word of advice... dont do it again, especially if its not your Internet connection :)

jtwn
16-07-2005, 09:55
Oh noes, you're going to be in soooo much trouble :D

Ignition
16-07-2005, 10:05
Hi, I'm one of the ntl staff.

I have just been in contact with AUP and your service is scheduled to be terminated on Monday.

Nah actually don't worry so long as it's not persistent port scanning you haven't really done anything majorly wrong.

There's nothing you can do to make it better though, if they call / write that's the way it is I'm afraid.

neo123
16-07-2005, 10:09
thankyou guys, thats such a relief, i thought it was automatic ban! i wont do nothing like that again from this machine thats for sure. Not really the sharpest knife in the draw am i...openly giving out my IP

Jules
16-07-2005, 11:41
Well at least you know that you did wrong and from the sounds of it are willing to learn from it :) Next time you get pis...angry at some one take a deep breath and think about it before doing any thing :tu:

poolking
16-07-2005, 11:42
What you've got to think about its only a game and you can always find another game server to go on. :)

neo123
16-07-2005, 11:49
Yeah I know :/ . It wasnt fair to be kicked still after i apologized to that bit** on her comms (VoIP To those not familiair with gaming). And still i got booted. But yeah i will try and remember that this is just a game and chill winstan!!!

Thanks for the slight peace of mind, still its not going to look good on my record, but thats my fault isnt it

TheBlueRaja
16-07-2005, 12:28
Pwaw! Dont give a damn mate - portscanning is nothing and NTL get e-mails from whingers like that all the time, you probably wont even hear from them.

zoombini
16-07-2005, 13:27
yeah, heck give us the IP of the server & we'll all portscan them for you :D

Raistlin
16-07-2005, 13:28
That might not be a very good idea.....

Jules
16-07-2005, 13:29
yeah, heck give us the IP of the server & we'll all portscan them for you :D

:rofl: sorry but that is funny!

bmxbandit
16-07-2005, 13:46
okay, so in the grand scheme of things, nobody is gonna notice 1 port scan.

run a thousand port scans, somebody might, and will probably send you an emal telling you that you might have a virus.

run another few thousand or more, and then ntl *might* get a bit interested. and you would probably have turned into a script kiddie by then.

Not The Kind Of Thing You Should Be Doingââ€Æ¦Ã‚¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ anyway :p:

Horace
16-07-2005, 15:23
Why did you run the port scan in the first place? Looking for ways of getting revenge for being "unfairly" kicked from the server? I can't see any other reason for doing the port scan.
To be honest I don't think NTL will do anything about it. A server I play on in the US had 2-3 months of regular DDos attacks on it from a Telewest user courtesy of a botnet, he was getting revenge for being banned from the server. Anyhow, the attack cost the company, which had given us free bandwidth and server use for over 6 years, $30,000+. The matter is still under investigation but from what I've heard Telewest arn't exactly being co-operative.
It seems ISP's don't take their responsibilities to the internet seriously.

Lord Nikon
16-07-2005, 19:18
besides, best form of revenge on someone on dialup is to load a linux system up, SU to root access, then use an enhanced ping against them... 56k dialup won't stand up to pings that are somewhat above the bandwidth available for the connection. (Plus, NTL don't prohibit pings, and as long as you don't do it for over 20 seconds it's not an attack and not your fault that they lose connection, after all, you were only investigating lag)

neo123
16-07-2005, 22:25
I respect that guy...he has helped me before havnt u Raistlin. I would LOVE to post that IP here. REALLY would lol

And i did it because he was being a TOTAL **** towards me, and i dont like that. And now all my clan members hate me because of it. But o well....it crashed the raven shield server for a little.

I did pings at the same time aswell. I have now apologized to them and they seem pretty cool with it....but that dont changer the fact ive been reported!!!

PS. cable forum is the bomb!!!!

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2005, 22:40
The answer has been given that you are unlikely to feel the wrath of NTL if you did this just the once.

Cable Forum will not support those who promote DOS or any other attacks on services of others, which is what this thread has degenerated into.

Closed.