PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn - need help!

Richard M
16-07-2005, 00:49
I've managed to get some nasty sunburn on my ankles since going to Bournemouth, it was fine for a day or so but one night I couldn't sleep very well and when I woke up in the morning it really hurt to move my feet.

I've tried having a 30 mins shower in a feeble attempt to re-hydrate them but it's doing no good. I've also tried rubbing baby oil into my bottom legs to "lock in" the moisture but that doesn't seem to work either...

Any advice?
It hurts so much. :(

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2005, 00:51
Dont get sunburnt in the first place :shrug:

Seriously, probably the best "over the counter" option is aftersun lotion.

bb31
16-07-2005, 00:51
Well currently in Tenerife so we know what proper sunburn is ;)

Paul
16-07-2005, 00:52
Suncream ?

(yes, i mean after the event as well, though obviously before would be better).

Richard M
16-07-2005, 00:53
Yeah, you're all a great help... :rolleyes:

Thanks...

Raistlin
16-07-2005, 00:54
You need some "after sun" lotion.

Keep it in the fridge until you need it, and then put it back as soon as you're done with it, that way it will have maximum cooling effect.

If it's really bad you might want to talk to the pharmacist about something for putting on burns.

The best thing that you can do is keep it cool, if you use a good after sun product this will also keep it moisturised.

Hope it gets better soon, I'm quite fair skinned so I know what it's like when you get badly burned :(

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2005, 00:54
Yeah, you're all a great help... :rolleyes:

Thanks...

Did you really expect sympathy :p:

ian@huth
16-07-2005, 00:58
Aloe Vera is one of the best things, if not the best, to use. You can get aloe vera creams or an aloe vera plant.

Halcyon
16-07-2005, 01:25
Definately agree with Aftersun Lotion. It really soothes the skin down and will help reduce the pain.
Keep yourself nice and cool and keep the skin nice and moist with the cream.

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 01:55
It's a burn - hence "sunburn". Specifically, a radiation burn. The outer layers of skin are frazzled. Can't really hydrate dead skin. You wouldn't stick a hosepipe up a dead hamster, would you? :erm: :D Just keep the area clean and cool and wait.

Stephen
16-07-2005, 02:03
Aftersun or some baby lotion will help. I got a bit burnt on my neck after the really hot weather at the beginning of the week and it helped a bit.

Richard M
16-07-2005, 08:14
Ouch!
Bit late now - got one huge blister on my ankle! :(

Richard M
16-07-2005, 09:25
Even more ouch!
I just noticed that my right foot and bottom part of my leg has swollen up rather badly! :disturbd:
Methinks a trip to the hospital could be a good idea.

TheBlueRaja
16-07-2005, 09:31
Photies please! :D

Good luck at the hospital by the way...

marky
16-07-2005, 09:41
Even more ouch!
I just noticed that my right foot and bottom part of my leg has swollen up rather badly! :disturbd:

i went to hospital with blisters and swelling once
they cut the tops of the blisters and gave me antibiotics (yes it was sunburn) so loads of simpathy ouches from me and my family :bigcry:

Maggy
16-07-2005, 09:42
Even more ouch!

:hugs: :sorry: :hugs:

Bad sunburn is really horrible.I think that you should seek some help.Why not try the pharmacist first?If he/she takes one look and says see a doctor you know it's bad.Oh and try DRINKING the water instead of spraying it on your legs.. :tu:

Richard M
16-07-2005, 09:52
Even more ouch!

i went to hospital with blisters and swelling once
they cut the tops of the blisters and gave me antibiotics (yes it was sunburn) so loads of simpathy ouches from me and my family :bigcry:

Hmm...think I might wait a little while and see how it turns out.
The whole cutting thing is not really my idea of fun. :D

Maggy
16-07-2005, 09:55
Hmm...think I might wait a little while and see how it turns out.
The whole cutting thing is not really my idea of fun. :D

:nono: Go see the pharmacist at once.... and stay out of the :Sun:

Oh and cover up when you do go out...

Shaun
16-07-2005, 10:08
When you go to the pharmacist (put that gun down Incog) ask them if they have Aloe Vera Gel. It's not cheap but it's great, it's Bopdudes favorite cure all if I remember correctly.

marky
16-07-2005, 10:19
:nono: Go see the pharmacist at once.... and stay out of the :Sun:

Oh and cover up when you do go out...
and dont were synthetic clothing cotton is best

Angua
16-07-2005, 11:15
Aloe Vera is one of the best things, if not the best, to use. You can get aloe vera creams or an aloe vera plant.

:tu::tu::tu:Plants are usually available at your local garden centre (indoor plant bit). Keep it in the kitchen always good for burns.

Also go and see the GP nurse. They have these brilliant see thru plasters and cream for burns (save getting scars).

Jules
16-07-2005, 11:20
By the way Rich NEVER put any type of oil on any burn it just makes it worse..Hope it is better soon

Seti
16-07-2005, 16:34
I should slap your wrists really Richard :) Nah seriously NEVER use oil on burns as the oil sorta cooks regardless of whether your skin is hot or not at the time. Don't use butter or any other sort of dairy product either. I say this as a girlfriend of mine put cream on her burns and well she stank for ages after.

Don't use any plasters or wear socks on your feet for a few days. If you have sandles USE them and USE sun screen as well.

Get some after sun from the chemist.

Use SUN CREAM at all times when in the sun untill the time reaches 7pm ish.

If you are still having problems as someone else said in the thread, GO AND SEE YOUR PRACTISE NURSE. THey won't cut the blisters off unoless they are infected. HOWEVER, it sounds as though you DO have some sort of infection because your leg is swelling. If this is selolitis (Sp?) then you REALLY need antibiotics.

Take care

Sian

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 17:49
I think Russ may have a convert. Will teach me to be more sympathetic to my fellow man. Just woke up to find my left ankle all puffy and well nibbled by some winged creature from hell. Currently rubbing cream on it - itches like hell :(

ellie
16-07-2005, 18:30
Aww hope you're ok Rich https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/24.gif

Antiseptic cream is good for sunburn and blisters.

Richard M
16-07-2005, 18:35
Just spent the last 5 hours in hospital.
By the time I got there, there were two huge blisters which were merging together and after a painful long wait they cut them out with a scalpel - no anesthestic either! :Yikes:
The pain was intense, as it usually it around your ankle - glad it's sorted now though, now going to a mates to get some "natural" painkillers. ;)

Thanks for all the advice. :D

TheBlueRaja
16-07-2005, 19:32
Just spent the last 5 hours in hospital.
By the time I got there, there were two huge blisters which were merging together and after a painful long wait they cut them out with a scalpel - no anesthestic either! :Yikes:
The pain was intense, as it usually it around your ankle - glad it's sorted now though, now going to a mates to get some "natural" painkillers. ;)

Thanks for all the advice. :D

LOL, sounds like a good night :p: