PDA

View Full Version : ICE - In Case of Emergency (was "ICE - Chain Email - Legit?")

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 22:42
Hi Guys,

Just received this email.

There's no virus or anything, this is about the third time that I've seen this (once at home and twice at work).

Has anybody else received it?
Does anybody know if it's legit or not?
Has anybody actually put this into their phone?
Doesn anybody really think this is a good idea?
Subject: ICE

Following the disaster in London . . .
East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign
with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston.
The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it
enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency". In an
emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your
next of kin are and be able to contact them.
It's so simple that everyone can do it.
Please do.
Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many
'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved
one's mind at rest.
For more than one contact use the name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

Angua
15-07-2005, 22:47
See this link (http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/content/news/newsdetail.asp?newsID=646104183)
Genuine and an excellent idea
Has been posted elsewhere on CF

iain_herts
15-07-2005, 22:49
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31671 here :)

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 22:50
Thanks for that Angua, just wanted confirmation that it was genuine.

Cheers.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31671 here :)

Thanks for that, did a search for ICE and it didn't show up (the word's too short).

Any chance we could add ICE to the search list please to stop other people posting the same information?

Thanks.

MetaWraith
15-07-2005, 22:50
Yes it's a good idea,
already been mentioned in the forum too.

One drawback though, if you phone is setup to require a enable key the emergency staff wont be able to access it. So it's only really of use if you can tell them how to access your phone

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 22:52
Just realised that you can't report your own posts :LOL:

Could someone report this one for me please :D ?

Angua
15-07-2005, 22:55
Just realised that you can't report your own posts :LOL:

Could someone report this one for me please :D ?

Why?
A good idea is worth a second mention!

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 22:56
Duplicate thread, or I could post some rude words - that would be fun :D

Matthew
15-07-2005, 22:58
Yes the whole thing is legit, and there has been a website setup for it which can be found here (http://www.icecontact.com/).

I was discussing this on another forum and we said what about people that lock their phone with a pin then the idea is no good but I did suggest that you could put a small bit of paper in the back of your phone with the details on and then all that has to be done is to take the cover off the phone, this way anyone can get the information rather than having to through the address book.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2005, 23:07
Duplicate thread, or I could post some rude words - that would be fun :D

Well, the original thread is locked, as it's for info only.

I think this one could stay separate & open, so people can discuss the idea & so on.

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 23:09
Ok Matt, thanks.

So that we're clear though, it would be nice (as Matt's gonna let us have this one open) if we could keep it from degenerating into a general fracas/argument/discussion about the attacks.

I'm really just interested to know who's going to do it, and what people think of the idea.

Thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2005, 23:15
Ok Matt, thanks.

No prob :)

So that we're clear though, it would be nice (as Matt's gonna let us have this one open) if we could keep it from degenerating into a general fracas/argument/discussion about the attacks.

What he said ^^^^

Keep it soley for discussing the "ICE" idea... we don't need another thread about the London attacks.

I'm really just interested to know who's going to do it, and what people think of the idea.

I think it's a very good idea.

But...

As already mentioned, there's the problem of PIN locked phones...if you're unable to speak, & your mobile is off (or is on but is locked), then how can the docs/paramedics/police etc etc find your ICE contact?

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 23:16
Are there that many phones that would scupper this idea then? I thought most phones just had the usual keyguard locking? Didn't realise that many were PIN protected as well....

Matthew
15-07-2005, 23:16
Wouldn't what I said come into play then they would check the back of your phone and then they can get the information and its up to them how they go about contacting the nominated contact.

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 23:18
Wouldn't what I said come into play then they would check the back of your phone and then they can get the information and its up to them how they go about contacting the nominated contact.

Good idea. So you would have a sticker or something stuck on the back of your phone?

It's all quite similar to having dogtags in a way. Used to have a friend that had a set made for just this purpose.

Matthew
15-07-2005, 23:18
My old Motorola never used to have a keylockm if you locked it, it was by pin. There are various security features on mobiles these days.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2005, 23:19
Are there that many phones that would scupper this idea then? I thought most phones just had the usual keyguard locking? Didn't realise that many were PIN protected as well....

AFAIK all mobiles can be PIN locked if the user chooses (you can PIN lock the SIM card, & also often the phone itself).

Mine is set to require the PIN when it's turned on. Can also be set to require the PIN if it's in screensaver mode.

Matthew
15-07-2005, 23:20
It would not actually be stuck on your phone just slotted inside the back cover where the battery goes. I think most people keep a spare £5 or £10 there for emergency.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2005, 23:21

That could probably work :)

People could also keep emergency contacts in their wallet.

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 23:21
Perhaps someone could design a Java (or other) screen saver or wallpaper that you download to your phone and it shows your ICE details.

That way even with the phone locked it should be visible provided that the phone is switched on.

In fact, you could do this yourself with just about any image editor - provided your phone has the ability to have customised background images.

Matthew
15-07-2005, 23:24
There are various ways of keeping you emergency contacts but when you go out what is the thing that you take with you, its usually your mobile with maybe a little loose change. Most people now carry mobiles and what ever you are doing, walking the dog, going to the shop, going for a run you have it so they are the ideal place to store the information.

Graham
15-07-2005, 23:36

Err, but isn't one of the ideas of PIN protecting your phone to stop some scrote from nicking it and being able to run up a huge bill...?

Writing your pin down and leaving it with the phone would tend to negate this!

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 23:37
I think Matthew meant that you would write your ICE information down and store it on a sticker (or something) on the back of the phone.

Matthew
15-07-2005, 23:40
I never said write you pin down, I meant writing your ICE details down on a bit of paper and putting them in the back of the paper. Anyway I am venturing off now but there are many you could put the details on your phone for people to find.

Raistlin you beat me to it.

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 00:03
You could always write the information on your organ donor card...

Graham
16-07-2005, 01:24
I meant writing your ICE details down on a bit of paper and putting them in the back of the paper.

Ah, ok, sorry I misundertood.

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 02:01
Just in case you missed the earlier subtle hint, you can write the contact information on your

ORGAN DONOR CARD (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp)

Paul
16-07-2005, 02:10
We are not blind GC. Size reduced, and your off topic reply removed. This thread is about ICE, not organ donations. If you wish to comment on decisions then you know where the PM feature is. :)

Angua
16-07-2005, 11:26
It would not actually be stuck on your phone just slotted inside the back cover where the battery goes. I think most people keep a spare £5 or £10 there for emergency.

Not me!

You could also put a duplicate note of special allergies (medicalert)

Shaun
16-07-2005, 11:35
Just in case you missed the earlier subtle hint, you can write the contact information on your

ORGAN DONOR CARD (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp)

Sorry to be :notopic: but strange how they want your organs GC but not your blood. :confused: :rolleyes:

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 11:37
Sorry to be :notopic: but strange how they want your organs GC but not your blood. :confused: :rolleyes:
True but I'm not allowed to comment. The General says keep it on topic :)

Jules
16-07-2005, 11:57

Do they? I have never heard of that before!

Any way I think it is a good idea and I will be putting my Ice number in later today and maybe sticking a fiver in the back of it too :tu: lol