PDA

View Full Version : Um, European beers?

Jerrek
05-10-2003, 01:33
Question... The British beers and other European beers (such as Heineken) we get here in the bottles all have caps that you can't remove without your pocketknife. Here in Canada and the States our beer comes with a twist off cap. Why do you make it so hard to get to the beer Mr. English People? :nono:

Bifta
05-10-2003, 01:38
Question... The British beers and other European beers (such as Heineken) we get here in the bottles all have caps that you can't remove without your pocketknife. Here in Canada and the States our beer comes with a twist off cap. Why do you make it so hard to get to the beer Mr. English People? :nono:

Yeah, but your beer come's with a twist off cap because anything more complicated would cause the French to complain!

Stuart W
05-10-2003, 01:53
Yeah, but your beer come's with a twist off cap because anything more complicated would cause the French to complain!
ROTFLMAO!

On a more serious note.... it's basicly to stop 'tampering'. Terorists and psycho's round these parts tend to stuff poisons / ground glass etc. into things which can be easily re-sealed.

idi banashapan
05-10-2003, 12:03
plus, the beer is stronger, so it could easily unscrew a screw on lid and run away!!! Europeans hammer on the beer lids so the little buggers don't break out and run off!!!!!

iadom
05-10-2003, 15:56
Hard??? even the kids can remove them with their teeth round here :beer:

paulyoung666
05-10-2003, 17:23

heinekin = beer , no no my friend it is weak watery **** compared to real mans beer , i.e. newcastle brown ale , and the top on them bottles most certainly aint pansy screw off ones :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Atomic22
05-10-2003, 18:51
talking of beer...my favourite beer is budwieser but only brewed by the stag brewing company in london... american bud tastes like p**s in comparison and you need about 20 cans to even compare to a stag 4 pack.

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 19:14
talking of beer...my favourite beer is budwieser but only brewed by the stag brewing company in london... american bud tastes like p**s in comparison and you need about 20 cans to even compare to a stag 4 pack.
Is that Budweiser Budwar? I thought that it was brewed in Czech?

Atomic22
05-10-2003, 19:21
nah... original budwieser is budwar and brewed in czech , normal budweiser is my fave beer but brewed in london not usa or europe:sick:

Tricky
05-10-2003, 19:44
Good thing about screw tops though is at least you can get the top off without taking a chunk out of the table, marble fireplace, tv, etc.

Speaks from experience...Always wanted a Jimmy Savile chair with bottle opener and fridge in one of the arms.

paulyoung666
05-10-2003, 20:04
Good thing about screw tops though is at least you can get the top off without taking a chunk out of the table, marble fireplace, tv, etc.

Speaks from experience...Always wanted a Jimmy Savile chair with bottle opener and fridge in one of the arms.

pmsl @ that :)
from experience when i went to a car rally on a norfolk air base that had been taken over by the yanks , the bud they imported from the u.s was far superior to our home brewed stuff , and when in florida you couldnt beat it , from a walk in fridge , ice cold and cheap as chips , to coin a phrase :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 20:31
pmsl @ that :)
from experience when i went to a car rally on a norfolk air base that had been taken over by the yanks , the bud they imported from the u.s was far superior to our home brewed stuff , and when in florida you couldnt beat it , from a walk in fridge , ice cold and cheap as chips , to coin a phrase :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :nono: The Czech stuffs better by miles, I'm drinking some right now. The yank bud is lacking in taste, not enough hops. :devsmoke:

paulyoung666
05-10-2003, 20:48
:nono: The Czech stuffs better by miles, I'm drinking some right now. The yank bud is lacking in taste, not enough hops. :devsmoke:

each to there own my mate , it still gets you or me :drunk: dont it :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :)

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 20:52
each to there own my mate , it still gets you or me :drunk: dont it :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :)
:D

Chris
05-10-2003, 22:40

Generally, anything alcoholic sold in this country with a screw-cap is cheap puke designed for tramps and kiddies to get legless on. An excellent anthropological study of this can be done in the city of Glasgow (home of my dear wife!), whose local youth - called 'neds' by the inhabitants - can normally be found in Kelvingrove Park necking copious quantities of Buckfast Tonic Wine. 'Buckie', of course, has a screw-cap.

More information here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/neds/glaikit_chef.shtml

and here:

http://www.buckfast.org.uk/TONIC.HTM

;)

danielf
05-10-2003, 23:15
heinekin = beer , no no my friend it is weak watery **** compared to real mans beer , i.e. newcastle brown ale , and the top on them bottles most certainly aint pansy screw off ones :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Ah, but that is because the p**s sold as Heineken in this country is not the genuine article. The genuine article is what is known as Heineken export here, which is a 5% lager. Heineken (and Carlsberg (again, export is the real thing)) have lowered the alcohol content of their beer specifically for the UK market. They wouldn't dream of compromising their position as an A brand lager by selling the 4% variety anywhere else. Get a Heineken or Carlsberg outside the UK, and you will get what is known as export here: a fine lager...

danielf
05-10-2003, 23:33
In response to Jerrek's question. I suppose it is a bit silly, as screw tops are easier, and we use them for just about anything apart from beer. I guess it has to do with traditition and brand loyalty. Introducing screw caps might result in market loss for the brand that does. (I'm sure this was looked into by the breweries)

I like flip top bottles myself.

Jerrek
06-10-2003, 00:45
Now as to my favorite beers...

I've lived in many countries and visisted a lot, but for some reason I prefer the local Ontario beers. I can't stand Heineken (we get the real stuff imported from Netherlands). I can't stand most European beers actually. British beers are an exception though, especially the ales. Heh.

My favorites...

Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager

http://www.okliquor.ca/online/Beer/sleemanhoney.jpg

Moosehead

http://www.primo.com/imgs/moosehead.jpg

I like Molson Canadian, but it is just average.

Oh and, ALL our beers come with advanced twist-off caps. :D

Xaccers
06-10-2003, 00:58
I don't like beer

timewarrior2001
06-10-2003, 11:01
After Saturday night I am quite partial to a bottle or several pints (as the Green dragon recently got it on draught too) of Ayingbrau Pils.
Not certain but I seem to recall that this stuff is 5.9 % and its got a lovely fruity taste to it.
Oh yeah and proper bottle tops on the bottles.

zoombini
06-10-2003, 12:38
Ahhhh, your all getting it wrong.

The truth of the matter is that with less ships to make we have/had a very strong market in manufacturing bottle openers, made out of Sheffield Steel etc.

Changing over to screw caps will make many thousands of steelworkers/opener makers redundant. The government introduced a policy of maintaining the cap in order to save all those jobs & keep from having to pay them dole money.

Also there are the shops that sell them in all of their various guises, stopping these would lessen their profits and hence make the need for less staff.

Dentists have become accustomed to fitting stringer braces on children & making false teeth more secure to prevent damage while opening them.
:blah: :blah:

paulyoung666
06-10-2003, 17:59
Ahhhh, your all getting it wrong.

The truth of the matter is that with less ships to make we have/had a very strong market in manufacturing bottle openers, made out of Sheffield Steel etc.

Changing over to screw caps will make many thousands of steelworkers/opener makers redundant. The government introduced a policy of maintaining the cap in order to save all those jobs & keep from having to pay them dole money.

Also there are the shops that sell them in all of their various guises, stopping these would lessen their profits and hence make the need for less staff.

Dentists have become accustomed to fitting stringer braces on children & making false teeth more secure to prevent damage while opening them.
:blah: :blah:

pmsl laughing @ that , nice one mate :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Atomic22
06-10-2003, 18:38
...Always wanted a Jimmy Savile chair with bottle opener and fridge in one of the arms.

yeh i would love a chair like he had , talking of jimmy savile have a listen to THIS (homepage.ntlworld.com/atomic22/jim'll_fix_it.mp3)