PDA

View Full Version : Linux and ntl broadband

Tike
15-07-2005, 10:51
i'm sure this has been asked a dozen times before....
i have a laptop which i will be formatting and loading with linux in the next week or so. is it possible to connect to my home broadband using linux please ?

slimshady
15-07-2005, 11:06
If your using an Ethernet Network Card and the Ethernet Port on your Cable Modem then Yes. Not sure about USB support never tried it.

gkhewitt
15-07-2005, 11:42
USB support is there, I used an SB4100 with Redhat for a while. It uses the CDCEther module which probably already exists in the kernel. However, it is much more straightforward to use ethernet.

Or buy a router for £20, of course..

grandmaster
15-07-2005, 12:47
When you have a wired Router Linux will just pick up the dhcp like windows and away it will go

Tike
15-07-2005, 18:50
thats great thanks very much

i do have a wired router, so will hopefully be sorted okay.
many thanks guys

Raistlin
15-07-2005, 22:30
:rolleyes:

All those replies and no welcome..... Manners? What are they? :D

:welcome: to Cable Forum Tike :)

Tike
17-07-2005, 12:34
humble apologies.
I'm Tim, I live in Derby and work on an I.T. helpdesk supporting primarily hardware & microsoft software.

Halcyon
17-07-2005, 13:10
Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here.
Its interesting you are installing Linux.... I have been contemplating doing this myself for a while too, on another machine.
I certainly know quite a lot of people who seem to be switching over to it.

Raistlin
17-07-2005, 15:34
humble apologies.
I'm Tim, I live in Derby and work on an I.T. helpdesk supporting primarily hardware & microsoft software.

:LOL:

Sorry Tim, wasn't talking about you :D I was talking about this lot, I think they must have been dragged up ;) :jk: normally n00bs get a much warmer welcome :D

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay with us :)

philquinney
17-07-2005, 16:56
Hey Tike,

My best advice would be to make sure you're using ethernet. Whilst it may be possible to get it working using USB it would probably be quite a hassle. The last thing you want to do is put yourself off what could be a very good move.

I've been using Linux for about 6 years now. It will make you pull your hair out at times but at other times you'll wonder why Windows can't be as good.

Good Luck, and if you need help post back.

Phil.

grandmaster
17-07-2005, 18:30
So Sorry where the hell are my manners!!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Tike
17-07-2005, 19:38
hi guys,
i do have an ethernet router, so fingers crossed it will work. i fancied trying something different, i am fed up with the same old microsoft stuff, so will enjoy getting my teeth into open office and a new way of working.

Graham M
17-07-2005, 22:23
hi guys,
i do have an ethernet router, so fingers crossed it will work. i fancied trying something different, i am fed up with the same old microsoft stuff, so will enjoy getting my teeth into open office and a new way of working.

Good luck with it, and DONT give up!!! It takes a little getting used to but once you get used to it you won't really want to go back. What distro are you planning on using? Most will just query your router for a DHCP address and should work straight away.