PDA

View Full Version : Can't get rid of modems autolog file HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

MadGamer
04-10-2003, 20:14
Im having trouble deleting a file created by Notepad that i CANNOT delete. Every time i delete the file and empty my recycle bin it reappears on the desktop.

Please help

WNA

Ramrod
04-10-2003, 20:14
Im having triuble deleting a file created by Notepad that i CANNOT delete. Every time i delete the file and empty my recucle bin it reappears on the desktop.

Please help

WNA
registry edit time?

MadGamer
04-10-2003, 20:17
registry edit time? How do i do this and what file do i delete? Ive never been into the registry so it freaks me out.

Chris
04-10-2003, 20:23
registry edit time?

It could well be ... I am no expert on this at all, but it sounds like something that was previously saving regular logs in some forsaken corner of your hard drive is now saving them to your desktop, which might be why it appears to undelete itself all the time.

Have you installed any new software lately? Reason I ask is that once I installed a sound file format converter on my PC at work, and it added a registry key that had the effect of permanently muting my system sounds. The registry key wasn't even necessary to the app; the app was just very badly written (beware freeware!).

Believe it or not I found the solution to my problem in a M$ knowledge base discussion document. It might be worth your while trawling the site to see if you can find anything that matches your symptoms. If a registry edit is the remedy, they will give you step by step instructions (at your own risk of course!)

Good luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/