PDA

View Full Version : Driveway sealant

Mr_love_monkey
14-07-2005, 23:41
Having recently had the driveway done, it seems like a good plan to seal it, using some sealant (obviously - I was going to try covering it in selotape, but didn't think that would work :) ).

Has anyone got any brands/sites they can recommend? -I've googled and one that I've found that looks pretty good is : http://swiss-seal.com/acatalog/Blockpaving.html

The prices seem reasonable... but what do I know?

ian@huth
14-07-2005, 23:59
The first question is what is the driveway made of? Hot tarmac, cold tarmac, concrete, block paving, etc.

danielf
15-07-2005, 00:11
Having recently had the driveway done, it seems like a good plan to seal it, using some sealant (obviously - I was going to try covering it in selotape, but didn't think that would work :) ).

Has anyone got any brands/sites they can recommend? -I've googled and one that I've found that looks pretty good is : http://swiss-seal.com/acatalog/Blockpaving.html

The prices seem reasonable... but what do I know?

I had a leaflet in the letterbox the other day from some blokes offering a driveway clean/upgrade. They claimed to use some of the swiss-seal products. These blokes were probably cowboys, but them claiming to use these products might instill some confidence in the product anyway?

edit: @ ian, I think we're talking block paving

Angua
15-07-2005, 00:18
Ah ha!

The reason for the spam thread is clear.

ian@huth
15-07-2005, 00:29
edit: @ ian, I think we're talking block pavingMore than likely from the page linked, but you never know. ;)

Mr_love_monkey
15-07-2005, 06:57
More than likely from the page linked, but you never know. ;)

yeah its block paving....

Ah ha!

The reason for the spam thread is clear.

Excuse me? I don't understand

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 07:20
I have seen instances where block paving drives have distorted, especially in areas where the car is always parked inmposing loads, as the sand bedding seems to change it's consitency if there is a lot of ground water. Whilst the whole idead of block paving is that water can drain by percolating between the blocks, I know there are chemical additive systems that will claim to minimise the effects of this.

I wouldn't attempt to totally seal the finished surface or the blokcs, to prevent this water drainage. That is unlikley to work anyway, as inevitable minor movement between blocks would just break the seal. However, dependent on how porus the blocks are, some sort of clear silicon based solution may reduce risks of moss growth. But then if decent quality paviors were used, they will be sufficiently weather resistance for you not to need to do that, and an oaccasional hosing down (whcih you would do on any paved surface) is all that would be needed to maintain appearance.