PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for bites

MadGamer
14-07-2005, 17:55
Can anyone recommend me a treatmewnt for nat bites. I have 2 on my foot that itch like hell.

Thanks

budwieser
14-07-2005, 17:57
Vinegar mate.

MadGamer
14-07-2005, 17:59
Vinegar mate. How effective?

Bifta
14-07-2005, 18:00
Can anyone recommend me a treatmewnt for nat bites. I have 2 on my foot that itch like hell.

Thanks

Make sure it's clean, don't forget that Gnat could have bitten countless other people first then get an anti-itch cream from your local chemist.

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 18:01
Take an antihistemine (such as you would normally take for hay fever).

etccarmageddon
14-07-2005, 18:03
so it's not just me then! I have about 5 and over the last few nights they have developed! but none elsewhere - so I wondered if it was fleas and re-de-fleaed the cat and dog and sprayed the bed with anti flea stuff.

why is it just my left foot that's being attacked?

MadGamer
14-07-2005, 18:03
Thanks for your suggestions people.

Chris W
14-07-2005, 18:04
calomile (sp) location is very good, or calomile (sp again :p: ) and witch hazel cream.

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 18:04
so it's not just me then! I have about 5 and over the last few nights they have developed! but none elsewhere - so I wondered if it was fleas and re-de-fleaed the cat and dog and sprayed the bed with anti flea stuff.

why is it just my left foot that's being attacked?

Have you got a double bed?

If so, which side of the bed do you sleep on?

Which side of the bed is the nearest window on?

etccarmageddon
14-07-2005, 18:13
erm I sleep furthest from window my left foot therefore is probably 3/4 of the length of the bed from the window. it's a double and I sometimes snore.

my right foot is the furthest from the window.

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 18:13
Didn't have any thoughts as to a solution, just a bit of a stalker that's all :D

Sorry, just thought it might have something to do with where your bed was in relation to the window.

You don't sleep with that foot hanging out of the bed or anything do you?

etccarmageddon
14-07-2005, 18:17
I have no idea. If I wake up and am able to remember my name it's a bonus so knowing where my foot is during the night is a difficult one.

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 18:24
I have no idea. If I wake up and am able to remember my name it's a bonus so knowing where my foot is during the night is a difficult one.

I can tell you what it's doing, it's hosting an all night buffet for gnats by the sound of it :)

Dave Stones
14-07-2005, 18:36
i use anthisan cream...

..oh, and i wear a cat collar so i don't get fleas in the first place ;):p:

Angua
14-07-2005, 18:37
This or similar is available in supermarkets there is also a pen style version.http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/assets/product_images/detail/AutanBiteEase.jpgDidn't matter where I slept the mozzies always went for my ankles (must be very tasty)

Maggy
14-07-2005, 18:41
Well my husband has two enormous mozzie bites on his right thigh.Teach him to sleep with the bed clothes thrown over me... :D

greencreeper
14-07-2005, 18:43
i use anthisan cream...
Same here. I tend to end up with an allergic reaction to the bite - localised tissue swelling and swollen lymph nodes. Not fun :(

nffc
14-07-2005, 18:52
calomile (sp) location is very good, or calomile (sp again :p: ) and witch hazel cream.

it's calamine... and witch hazel's not supposed to be used on broken skin.

kids

Dave Stones
14-07-2005, 19:03
Same here. I tend to end up with an allergic reaction to the bite - localised tissue swelling and swollen lymph nodes. Not fun :(

if anything swells and looks like its gonna go nasty, it gets lancede straight away... hot needle does wonders :)

my constitution seems to be good enough to never have an alelrgic reaction to anything now, i dont even have hayfever anymore...

greencreeper
14-07-2005, 19:17
my constitution seems to be good enough to never have an alelrgic reaction to anything now, i dont even have hayfever anymore...
Allergic reactions come from having a paranoid immune system that treats everything foreign as a threat. Just like your average American really. So I guess that as we age and our immune systems weaken, our allergies will slowly disappear.

Dave Stones
14-07-2005, 19:30
as we age? i'm 20! you make it sound like i am about 60 or something :cry:

danielf
14-07-2005, 19:38

It's got nothing to do with age. You're a student. Poor hygiene does wonders for your immune system...

greencreeper
14-07-2005, 19:42
Awww :hugs: It's true though. Give it another few years and you'll have aching joints :D

It's got nothing to do with age. You're a student. Poor hygiene does wonders for your immune system...
:LOL:

Human bites are the worst - really nasty :disturbd:

Paul
14-07-2005, 20:02
Bloody things - I have holes in my leg from scratching them the other day. I find the kids anti-headlice lotion deters them rather well ;)

Dave Stones
14-07-2005, 20:09

hey, i was brought up in the garden, with cats... none of this washing your hands after touching everything rubbish...

contrast that with my housemates, who i swear both have OCD about washing... i'm the only one who has never had food poisoning, and i never get more than a cold... go germs! *waves flag*

Gareth
14-07-2005, 20:11
erm I sleep furthest from window my left foot therefore is probably 3/4 of the length of the bed from the window. it's a double and I sometimes snore.Don't think that snoring will deter 'em... not even sure if they have ears!

I find a combination of antihistamine, Savlon, calamine lotion and lots and lots and lots of alcohol (consumed not applied to the skin :D ) does the trick :D

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 20:12
Garlic is good.

Don't rub it on, eat it in a meal.

Apparently they don't like the smell.....won't do your love life much good though.....still, at least you'll get some sleep :D

makikomi
14-07-2005, 20:38
My legs were bitten to bits the other night - I seem to be a real bug magnet. :(

Jules
14-07-2005, 21:08
My legs were bitten to bits the other night

Now now dear I didn't bite you that hard :naughty:

To be honest though his legs are in a really bad way but I am not suprised as I have always said that he is tasty :D

budwieser
14-07-2005, 21:17

To be honest though his legs are in a really bad way but I am not suprised as I have always said that he is tasty :D

Lol!:D :naughty: :naughty:

Angua
14-07-2005, 22:46

You might need to chat up the chemist. The only thing I found which eased the blisters I got was something I got in Greece, which was a clear gel in an orange tube. Worked a treat when nothing else did.

Good luck. Meanwhile if you can, try aloe vera (straight from the plant).

nffc
14-07-2005, 22:47

Thanks

Tell Nat (yer mrs?) to keep her teeth away from yer feet :D ;)

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 22:49
Honestly guys.

Some sort of antihistamine to stop the inflamtion and irritation, and some sort of cooling cream (calomine lotion is good) to cool it down a bit so that you're not needing to scratch it and tear it up.

Works every time.

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-07-2005, 22:49
i use wasp-eze but you need to put it on staright after being bitten and again after another 15 mins. If i dont catch it i then use Witch Hazel, doesnt reduce the swelling but it does take away the itching

etccarmageddon
15-07-2005, 08:32
It must be the smell of our sweat which is attracting them/helping direct them to our feet.

Angua
15-07-2005, 09:13
It must be the smell of our sweat which is attracting them/helping direct them to our feet. (sweat did say swear hence my comment )

Blue air then!

Maggy
15-07-2005, 13:38
Actually I got a closer look at hubby's 'bites' last night and they looked really nasty with pus bags out of proportion to the bites.I'm wondering if there is a super mozzie on the loose..