PDA

View Full Version : Problem after changing PC

obiwanquinobi
13-07-2005, 20:47
Hi,

This is my first post on these boards so be gentle with me please ;)

I recently got a new PC and want to switch my NTL cable over to the new PC.

I was running Windows 98 and using the USB connection on the old rig. The new PC has two network cards, A Yukon Marvellan, and an NVidia Networking controller with all the latest drivers applied.

As far as was aware, it should have been just a case of unplugging everything, connecting the modem via an ethernet cable to one of the NIC's and powering up the modem, let it settle and then boot the PC??

Wrong...The NIC cant get an IP address from NTL's DHCP server! and just reverts to the private 169.x.x.x ip range after trying for ages to get an address from NTL.

I tried to connect using the USB and the broadband installer..but I still cant get an address from DHCP.

I contacted technical support who were less than useless. Told me that both my network cards were broken :confused: and that my PC needed looking at?? I added that " If both my network cards are broken, how can I NOT connect with the USB adaptor either?" ... no sensible response:mad:

I did tell the support guy that we were using the USB connection on a windows 98 PC before. but he reckoned it shouldnt matter and I should be able to connect??

Tried fixing winsock with "netsh winsock reset" to NO avail

Anyone got any ideas how I can sort this one out?

Cheers and thanks for any replies people :)

*Edited for typos

Raistlin
13-07-2005, 22:59
Can you connect to the modem's control panel at all?

The address should be:

http://192.168.100.1/

User Name: root
Password: root

If you can that should rule out a problem with the connection between PC and modem.

Have you checked that any firewalls you are running aren't getting in the way?

Have you tried using a different ethernet lead (I'm assuming that you are using the one that came with the modem)?

Sorry, forgive my rudeness.....

:welcome: to Cable Forum

benzo
13-07-2005, 23:36
I'm having the same problem with my AOL BB over NTL network.

I have worked out that the problem is that AOL have linked my a/c to my old laptop's mac address (the ethernet adapter's fingerprint if I am not mistaken) and thus my new laptop would always give me a 169.xxx ip. To resolve this, I've been trying to get AOL to delete my old mac address from their database so that I can register my new laptop.

If this fails (i.e., AOL customer service muck me about), I'll either:
1. Join NTL- but am worried about the 30gig cap
2. Get a wireless network and let the router clone the mac address and then just share the aol network between all the computers in my house.

obiwanquinobi
14-07-2005, 00:02
Can you connect to the modem's control panel at all?

The address should be:

http://192.168.100.1/

User Name: root
Password: root

If you can that should rule out a problem with the connection between PC and modem.

Have you checked that any firewalls you are running aren't getting in the way?

Have you tried using a different ethernet lead (I'm assuming that you are using the one that came with the modem)?

Sorry, forgive my rudeness.....

:welcome: to Cable Forum

Thanks for the response my good fellow ;)

OK.

I have not tried connecting to the modems console..thats the next thing I'll try (Has to wait til Friday now because I'm away working for a day)

I was indeed using the ethernet lead that came with the modem...I can't really see any reason why this might cause an issue, but I'll give another lead a try - you never know.

I do have Kerio personal firewall running, but DHCP client is allowed outbound access, so this shouldnt really be an issue either. Either way..I did try running through a reset without the firewall enabled and I still get no joy??

I also ensured windows firewall was disabled too - just incase. Just reading the other response from benzo -- Would it not be worth trying to clone the modems MAC address into the NIC's advanced properties (As benzo suggested)?

Cheers again for the warm welcome. :) And I'll post back here to let you's know how I get on.

Peace:angel:

Raistlin
14-07-2005, 00:07
Not worth cloning the modem's MAC to the NIC.

The network registers the MAC of the modem. The modem is only interested in the MAC of the device connected to it.

When you rebooted the Modem you should have turned everything off, turned the Modem on and let the lights settle, turned the PC on and then it should have been connected.

Rebooting the Modem without the PC switched on tells it that you are changing the device it should work with, when you then turn the PC on it will register the MAC of the PC and should work from there.

The only reason I asked about the cable is that some people elect to buy a cab;e (for extra length of whatever) and have been known to buy the wrong type. If you're using the one that came with the Modem you should be ok.