PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] The Shuttle

Maggy
30-06-2005, 12:37
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/06/29/space.shuttle.ap/index.html

Now does this article inspire confidence?

However it will be nice to think that maybe the future of space exploration may have a chance to continue..As long as the Bush allows it that is.. :erm:

Pierre
30-06-2005, 12:41
Space travel is a dangerous business, it's never going to be completely safe.

I'm sure they've made it as safe as they can.

I'm glad it's going to fly again.

Paul K
30-06-2005, 13:22
Missed a launch last time we were in Florida due to the flights being cancelled after the last shuttle loss. Will be good to see the shuttle launch again but will be even better to see a more cost effective launch vehicle in use sometime in the future :)

AndrewJ
30-06-2005, 13:40
That is being worked on though, with hypersonics, and even fusion drive ( which everyone disses but personally I think is the future) then we have hydrogen cells, which no doubt could be adapted into launching.

Anyway back on topic its good to see the shuttle back.

They should rename it Voyager. Seeing as we are going into the unknown up there. :D

zoombini
30-06-2005, 13:50
Of course NASA have got to start them again, there are several other (countries) groups getting ahead in space flights so NASA need to keep in front so that they can claim all the planets for the US.

Maggy
12-07-2005, 09:36
Well it loks like it is going ahead http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4673261.stm

I'm wondering how much interest will be shown at the launch tomorrow. :erm:

Paul K
12-07-2005, 09:54
Well it loks like it is going ahead http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4673261.stm

I'm wondering how much interest will be shown at the launch tomorrow. :erm:
Considerable, a return to flight like this will be covered globally and will get extreme coverage in America. There is a lot of pride inbedded into the Space program by the thousands of people working within the space industry.

Nugget
12-07-2005, 10:47
I was reading about this in the paper at the weekend. According to the article, NASA are using part of the operation to see if the shuttles could be repaired (if necessary) in space. However, it also said that there are rumours that, for safe flight, NASA would be better off using the old Soviet Soyuz capsules instead of the shuttles.

There's also apparently some resentment amongst the other space agencies that, having ploughed billions of dollars into the International Space Station for the purposes of research, the US pretty much just want to use it as a waypoint for inter-planetary flight.

basa
12-07-2005, 10:59
Considerable, a return to flight like this will be covered globally and will get extreme coverage in America. There is a lot of pride inbedded into the Space program by the thousands of people working within the space industry.

Pity the US Govt and NASA aren't as interested in Hubble. :(

Paul K
12-07-2005, 11:22

Actually they have agreed further funding recently to keep Hubble serviced for at least another 2-3 years. Hubble is a long way past it's mission time now and if NASA and the US government wasn't interested then it would have been left to die.
I was reading about this in the paper at the weekend. According to the article, NASA are using part of the operation to see if the shuttles could be repaired (if necessary) in space.
I think that part of the mission was always going to happen, NASA needs to know whether repairing damage to the shuttle tiles in space is possible. They already have a special boom mounted camera for inspecting the shuttle for damage.
Link (http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/business/story.html?id=57e20252-f7c4-47a1-ace4-4162a8caf577)
As to using the Soyuz craft, it is known that the Soyuz craft are reliable and safe (to a point) but the Shuttle is a lot more than just a delivery lorry in space and I would be suprised if the Soyuz craft could carry out all the types of missions that the Shuttle can. Also I doubt that the US military would enjoy asking the Russians if they could borrow a Soyuz to launch their latest satellite packages LoL.
NASA is already testing the next generation of launch vehicles (along with other groups) and hopefully sometime soon there will be a safe, reliable, re-usable and cheap launch option available for use.

Chris
12-07-2005, 11:22

It's because Hubble is in an orbit that would be difficult for another vessel to reach, should the shuttle sent to service it become damaged and in need of assistance.

NASA has become so risk-averse it's in danger of disappearing up its own bottom. They have absolutely no chance of getting to Mars in their current frame of mind. If this lot had been running the show in the 1960s its a sure bet no-one would have landed on the moon either.

Aragorn
12-07-2005, 12:41
If this lot had been running the show in the 1960s its a sure bet no-one would have landed on the moon either.

Are you sure they really did :D

The truth is out there ;)

Maggy
12-07-2005, 13:16
Are you sure they really did :D

The truth is out there ;)

Can the conspiracists among us please make their own thread about it... ;)

bjorkiii
12-07-2005, 13:24
Why wont nasa tell us if the moon was made out of cheese i need to know?

Aragorn
12-07-2005, 13:25
Sorry - couldn't resist - yes, I do believe they landed.

Back on topic, I think there are too many conficting interests competing for NASA money - it will be difficult for them to
1. keep the shuttle going and
2. design a new reusable launch platform and
3. get back to the moon and
4. get to Mars and so on.

Iirc, Bush has committed to more manned exploration which probably means Hubble will be left to rot :(

Nugget
12-07-2005, 13:35
Sorry - couldn't resist - yes, I do believe they landed.

Back on topic, I think there are too many conficting interests competing for NASA money - it will be difficult for them to
1. keep the shuttle going and
2. design a new reusable launch platform and
3. get back to the moon and
4. get to Mars and so on.

Iirc, Bush has committed to more manned exploration which probably means Hubble will be left to rot :(

NASA aren't commited to designing a re-usable platform - they are looking at using the International Space Station as it's 'starting point' for manned deep-space flights.

One of the interesting points that was raised in the article that I read was that, if there was a problem with one of the shuttles and the crew had to stay in the station, they would only have food and oxygen for approximately 42 days, whereas it takes approximately 33 days to plan in a shuttle launch and get it to the station, so that leaves an incredibly short window in which to carry out arescue (leaving aside any questions about the reliability of the shuttle).

Paul K
12-07-2005, 13:37
NASA aren't commited to designing a re-usable platform - they are looking at using the International Space Station as it's 'starting point' for manned deep-space flights.

One of the interesting points that was raised in the article that I read was that, if there was a problem with one of the shuttles and the crew had to stay in the station, they would only have food and oxygen for approximately 42 days, whereas it takes approximately 33 days to plan in a shuttle launch and get it to the station, so that leaves an incredibly short window in which to carry out arescue (leaving aside any questions about the reliability of the shuttle).
Which is why they were looking at escape craft designs for the station. Mind you they have to get the station functioning correctly too before they can rely on it lol.
Without the shuttle in service a lot of things got put back including work on the station and on Hubble, the shuttle may be old but it's a very useful workhorse :)

AndrewJ
12-07-2005, 17:54
I agree but we are seeing new technology coming quicker and quicker, and lets face it if NASA got enough funding we would have reusable new shuttles going about, where as the goverments prefer to spend it on missiles and war.

Nugget
12-07-2005, 17:58
Which is why they were looking at escape craft designs for the station. Mind you they have to get the station functioning correctly too before they can rely on it lol.
Without the shuttle in service a lot of things got put back including work on the station and on Hubble, the shuttle may be old but it's a very useful workhorse :)

Absolutely agree with you matey :)

Having said that, has work on the station completely stopped? I understood that there were still Chinese craft going there (although I'm happy to be proved wrong :p: ).

I also think that the shuttle is very useful (as the only craft capable of carrying the heavy payloads are required) but, as I say, the article I read was questioning the reliability (particularlly since Columbia was destroyed).

jellybaby
13-07-2005, 19:43
NASA have called off the launch due to a faulty fuel tank sensor :(

Awaiting Link to news item

Found one :)

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13386090,00.html

dilli-theclaw
13-07-2005, 19:45
BBC News 24 just had a report on it.

Maggy
13-07-2005, 20:28
Well it has been delayed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4680687.stm

Well that confused me...I seem to be the only one re-using threads. :rolleyes:

Maggy
21-07-2005, 15:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4702651.stm

Well we will see next Tuesday..

zoombini
21-07-2005, 16:57
Only if you have a big telescope & a magic cloud removal machine :D

Maggy
21-07-2005, 20:30
Only if you have a big telescope & a magic cloud removal machine :D

Not everything is a joke you know... :rolleyes:

dilli-theclaw
21-07-2005, 20:38
I hope NASA manage to find the problem, but it does seem like they're jinxed or something at the moment.

Lord Nikon
21-07-2005, 21:33

They already have functioning lander craft they could use for an escape craft, just bring the flight computers more up to date for the old saturn packs. Same tech that brought armstrong etc back from the moon, small enough for shuttle transport to the station, proven reliability, and little design time.

Paul K
25-07-2005, 14:07
I hope NASA manage to find the problem, but it does seem like they're jinxed or something at the moment.
They're still looking to launch on Tuesday as long as nothing else goes wrong
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714063.stm)

The Discovery shuttle could lift off on Tuesday even if the sensor problem that prevented the launch on 13 July recurs.
Engineers have raced to isolate the glitch, and have come up with two likely candidates.
The current launch window is open until 31 July, but may be widened into the first week of August.
Discovery's mission 12-mission to the International Space Station marks Nasa's first shuttle launch since the loss of Columbia on 1 February 2003.
I think we're all still struggling a bit with the ghosts of Columbia, so we want to make sure we do this right
"We have literally run every check that we can think of," said Wayne Hale, shuttle deputy programme manager, "and so far, no repeat."
Dr Mike Griffin, the US space agency's administrator, said he hoped the problem did recur during countdown tests, so engineers could resolve the problem once and for all.

Paul K
26-07-2005, 14:39
Theres a good live webcast feed of the launch available to view if anyone wants to watch all the preperation.
Nasa TV (http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html)

Chris
26-07-2005, 14:48
Link direct to the Real stream : http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram

allanprg
26-07-2005, 14:51
Yes I have been watching it for the last hour or so. ;)

Chris
26-07-2005, 14:53
Watching it right now and it appears that the Shuttle is being prepared for launch by a pair of white-tracksuited chavs :Yikes:

Download Failed (1)

punky
26-07-2005, 14:53
It is a shame it isn't being delayed another week or so. I have some friends going out next week, and they would have loved to see it. Florida is completely flat so on a clear day/night you can quite easily see the shuttle going up from all the holiday homes 60 miles away.

Paul K
26-07-2005, 15:31
It is a shame it isn't being delayed another week or so. I have some friends going out next week, and they would have loved to see it. Florida is completely flat so on a clear day/night you can quite easily see the shuttle going up from all the holiday homes 60 miles away.
We were due to be in Florida for a launch but the last Shuttle accident meant that all flights were cancelled :( Still went to KSC though :) Excellent day out :)

Stephen
26-07-2005, 15:31

Shame it never went up when it was originally due to as I would have still been there, this was in April. I have a few photos of my trip to the Kennedy space centre and the shuttle/rocket was in the VAB ready to be rolled out to the platform a couple of days later, the thing they roll it out on was sitting getting cleaned and checked as well.

Paul K
26-07-2005, 16:41
Some excellent on board camera shots of the flight so far :)

Stuart
26-07-2005, 16:57
Watching it right now and it appears that the Shuttle is being prepared for launch by a pair of white-tracksuited chavs :Yikes:

Download Failed (1)

Nah, they're just siphoning off fuel.. :Yikes:

Paul K
26-07-2005, 17:00

http://homepage.mac.com/towny/shuttlechavs.jpg

Nah, they're just siphoning off fuel.. :Yikes:
That's not a siphon pipe.... it's one of the chav's gold chain that he's trying to get back on lol
Seriously though, the camera shots as the main external tank was shed were excellent :)

Chris
26-07-2005, 17:04
That's not a siphon pipe.... it's one of the chav's gold chain that he's trying to get back on lol
Seriously though, the camera shots as the main external tank was shed were excellent :)

I was watching that - most cool.

And I think the BBC should take note, NASA clearly has a better idea of how to ramp up bandwidth during major news events. It stuttered a lot but never died. Unlike the BBC's news stream during recent events.

Pierre
26-07-2005, 17:10
What have they got left now then

Is there just the Atlantis and Discovery left?

The Enterprise was only a prototype and never space worthy so with no immediate replacement on the horizon, those two orbiters will be worked hard.

I don't think the future is too rosy for space exploration, the next leap to Mars I do not think will happen for a few life times - if ever. Unless they come up with a new craft with a new propulsion system.

We'll never leave our orbit.

Chris
26-07-2005, 17:30
What have they got left now then

Is there just the Atlantis and Discovery left?

The Enterprise was only a prototype and never space worthy so with no immediate replacement on the horizon, those two orbiters will be worked hard.

I don't think the future is too rosy for space exploration, the next leap to Mars I do not think will happen for a few life times - if ever. Unless they come up with a new craft with a new propulsion system.

We'll never leave our orbit.

Yep, just the two youngest, plus Enterprise, presumably languishing in a museum somewhere. Not much of a fleet.

It is depressing to think that the human race got to the moon almost 40 years ago but then retreated into low Earth orbit. And the shuttle is built on a design that is now 30 years old. Can you imagine if we were all still doing our day to day jobs with the office equipment of the mid 1970s? It's unthinkable.

Edit - there is another. Space Shuttle Endeavour was built to replace Challenger.

Edit again - Enterprise is on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, Dulles Airport, Washington. Live webcam (http://www.nasm.si.edu/interact/webcams/uhc2/uhc2vt.cfm) (Requires Java).

Paul K
26-07-2005, 17:35
There is a list of the orbiter fleet here
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/orbiters.html
if anyone wants a read lol.

punky
26-07-2005, 17:48
Don't get too excited guys, aren't all space shuttles due to be retired in 2010, with no planned sucessors? :(

Paul K
26-07-2005, 17:52
Don't get too excited guys, aren't all space shuttles due to be retired in 2010, with no planned sucessors? :(
They are already working on the replacement designs but it's not scheduled to fly before 2014 BBC Article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4543611.stm) but they have other ideas for how to continue launching satelites, experiments and supplies etc until then.
Oh BTW there is a press conference by NASA soon as there seemed to be a debris strike on the tail of the shuttle as it launched and they are preparing to answer questions about it.

punky
26-07-2005, 17:57
Oh they have planned sucessors then? Thanx for pointing that out mate :tu:

Paul K
26-07-2005, 17:59
Oh they have planned sucessors then? Thanx for pointing that out mate :tu:
Yep they have been working on the next phase of exploration and the craft necessary for a while now. Have already got the engine design down on paper and I think they have tested it too. I think they are looking at another re-usable craft but one that is a lot cheaper to fund.

Maggy
26-07-2005, 20:12
Wasn't allowed to watch.Bluddy Minder repeats that we've seen too many times already... :mad:

The whole of our early evening viewing is nothing but repeats. :(

dilli-theclaw
26-07-2005, 20:16
Wasn't allowed to watch.Bluddy Minder repeats that we've seen too many times already... :mad:

The whole of our early evening viewing is nothing but repeats. :(
There is a video of the launch here

http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/videos/metafiles/ksc_072605_rtf_launch.ram

Don't click unless you can play .ram files on your pc.

Dilli.

Paul K
26-07-2005, 20:22
Sky news and BBC news 24 are running footage during their bulletins, BBC News 24 had it on their interactive newsroom too so you may find footage there too.
Was a sight to behold Coggy, use the link in Dilli's post or watch it on telly as you will enjoy the launch :)

Maggy
26-07-2005, 20:27
Sky news and BBC news 24 are running footage during their bulletins, BBC News 24 had it on their interactive newsroom too so you may find footage there too.
Was a sight to behold Coggy, use the link in Dilli's post or watch it on telly as you will enjoy the launch :)

Won't be quite the same though :( and I have to wait until I can get the damned remote... :mad:

Paul K
26-07-2005, 20:31
There's a 3 minute video on the BBC site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4716463.stm

Maggy
26-07-2005, 20:44

I can't use ram files and the BBC video stutters because of my being still on the ungraded 128...Must try to get upgraded to 1MB soon.

Paul K
26-07-2005, 20:46

I can't use ram files and the BBC video stutters because of my being still on the ungraded 128...Must try to get upgraded to 1MB soon.
Hope you get that upgrade soon Coggy, better stick with the news channels then :( It's worth the wait though :)

yesman
27-07-2005, 01:32
:confused: Something fell off ? or just Shuttle debris after fuel rocket had jetisoned

This link (http://video.msn.com/video/p.htm?t=1&p=News_Tech&i=379d072e-7325-478e-844f-241231c49236&rf=) should work (fingers crossed)

You will have to wait for the ad to finish first.

marky
27-07-2005, 01:34
:confused: Something fell off ? or just Shuttle damage or just debris after fuel rocket had jetisoned

This link (http://video.msn.com/video/p.htm?t=1&p=News_Tech&i=379d072e-7325-478e-844f-241231c49236&rf=) should work (fingers crossed)

You will have to wait for the ad to finish first.

saw it on tv i hope its not to serious :disturbd:

Graham
27-07-2005, 03:45
:confused: Something fell off ? or just Shuttle debris after fuel rocket had jetisoned

It doesn't work in Netscape.

Paul K
27-07-2005, 08:06
From NASA (http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html?skipIntro=1)
The crew of Space Shuttle Discovery was awakened this morning at 12:39 a.m EDT to start its first full day in space. As the orbiter spends the day chasing the International Space Station, the crew will use Discovery's robot arm to inspect the vehicle's exterior.
Unprecedented imagery captured during Tuesdayââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s ascent to orbit enabled engineers to see two so-called "debris events." A camera mounted on the external tank caught what appeared to be a small fragment of tile coming from Discovery's underside on or near the nose gear doors.
A later image about the time of Solid Rocket Booster separation showed an unidentified piece departing from the tank and exiting away, apparently not striking the orbiter. The crew was notified of these observations and told that imaging experts would be analyzing the pictures.

Paul K
27-07-2005, 11:25
They are also stating that there was a bird strike on launch, now that's just unlucky on the birds part :erm:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/6.jpg
The tip of the shuttle's external fuel tank also hit a bird as it launched from Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday.
John Shannon, STS-114 mission operations representative, pointed out video frames apparently showing a piece of heatshield tile breaking off from the underside of the shuttle.
This has left a one-and-a-half inch white spot near the nose landing-gear doors.
"We're very interested in that," he told reporters. "That's something we're going to get better pictures of on flight-day three."
Mr Shannon said it could simply be that part of the black covering on the orbiter's underside was damaged exposing the heatshield tile.
But he added that it was equally possible the tile itself had been dented or sheared.

Ramrod
27-07-2005, 14:32
A little late but:NASA issues assurance of shuttle safety after window cover falls off
13 Jul 2005 by Malcolm Drury
With the space shuttle Discovery set for launch in a few hours, NASA has issued a statement confirming that it is safe to fly and that barring bad weather the launch will go ahead as planned.

There had been fears yesterday that the launch might be delayed after a falling window cover had damaged some of the heat shield tiles. However, Harvey "Gus" Ramsbottom, a NASA spokesman, told reporters that the damage was minor and had been fully repaired. Asked what caused the cover to fall off he said it was a simple error, namely that the wrong kind of glue had been used to hold it in place.

"It was the kind of silly mistake that anyone could make," he said, "but we caught it, and we are now absolutely convinced that Discovery is safe to fly."

Standing in front of a large banner that read "Safety and qaulity is NASSA's primerry concern", he categorically denied that shuttle safety had been compromised by pressure to get the launches back on track in order to meet President "Boy" George W. Bush's commitment "to land a man on the sun before this parade is over and bring him back safely to Texas". He also strongly denied that NASA had outsourced the shuttle re-engineering work to Botswana.

Mr Ramsbottom was unable to answer questions as the podium upon which he was standing collapsed and he had to be helped out of the room. It was later discovered that the same kind of glue had been used to put it together.

Meanwhile President Bush is reported to have donned an astronaut suit and is anxiously waiting in the White House, bag of pretzels in hand, to watch the launch on Fox News.

:D link (http://www.deadbrain.co.uk/news/article_2005_07_13_2948.php)

AndrewJ
27-07-2005, 16:02
They are also stating that there was a bird strike on launch, now that's just unlucky on the birds part :erm:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/6.jpg
The tip of the shuttle's external fuel tank also hit a bird as it launched from Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday.
John Shannon, STS-114 mission operations representative, pointed out video frames apparently showing a piece of heatshield tile breaking off from the underside of the shuttle.
This has left a one-and-a-half inch white spot near the nose landing-gear doors.
"We're very interested in that," he told reporters. "That's something we're going to get better pictures of on flight-day three."
Mr Shannon said it could simply be that part of the black covering on the orbiter's underside was damaged exposing the heatshield tile.
But he added that it was equally possible the tile itself had been dented or sheared.

One small fly for tweety, one giant leap for birdkind.

Chris
28-07-2005, 11:46
Well, they're back to square one. All future shuttle flights are grounded again, after it became clear that another huge chunk of foam came off the external fuel tank during launch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4723109.stm

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/4.jpg

They are also continuing to try to assess some heat shield damage discovered on Discovery's nose, but don't consider it to be serious at this stage.

How is it that Russia and China can put people in space without any apparent fuss but the most powerful nation on Earth just seems to be stumbling from one problem to another? I do wonder how they managed to put men on the moon sometimes.

Dave Stones
28-07-2005, 12:18
some amazing live shots from the ISS on sky news at the moment :)

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:24
Are they streaming on the web?

Dave Stones
28-07-2005, 12:32
i'm unsure, it was a supposedly live feed from the ISS showing the shuttle with its hatch doors open, lining up to dock... was cool anyway :)

check out the NASA TV streaming at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 12:34
Well, they're back to square one. All future shuttle flights are grounded again, after it became clear that another huge chunk of foam came off the external fuel tank during launch.

How is it that Russia and China can put people in space without any apparent fuss but the most powerful nation on Earth just seems to be stumbling from one problem to another? I do wonder how they managed to put men on the moon sometimes.
What I find strange is that this seems to be a new phenonmena in the launch program, or was it really just nobody cared about the foam falling off the shuttle 20 years ago?

And the second unsnipped part, we did they or was it a sound stage in Area 51 (but thats another thread).

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:35
i'm unsure, it was a supposedly live feed from the ISS showing the shuttle with its hatch doors open, lining up to dock... was cool anyway :)

check out the NASA TV streaming at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

Got it now - that is extremely cool. Looks like a view from the shuttle airlock as it approaches the ISS now.

Dave Stones
28-07-2005, 12:36
well, as per a (now deleted, but I SAW) post in another thread, paul seems to think nasa tv is streaming bbc news 24 ;)

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2005, 12:37
Got it now - that is extremely cool. Looks like a view from the shuttle airlock as it approaches the ISS now.

I've got an extreme urge to start whistling Blue Danube while watching that!!!

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:40
I've got an extreme urge to start whistling Blue Danube while watching that!!!

Are you watching it now? I'm sure I saw an obelisk orbiting past the shuttle :p:

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2005, 12:44
Are you watching it now? I'm sure I saw an obelisk orbiting past the shuttle :p:

I wonder if the crew practised docking with coriolis stations ;):D

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:48
I wonder if the crew practised docking with coriolis stations ;):D

I bet Eileen Collins bought herself a docking computer, and is now kicking herself for missing out on all that practice.

Still, if she mucks it up she can always take a few potshots at the station instead and see if it launches any coppers to come after her. :D

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 12:56
Still, if she mucks it up she can always take a few potshots at the station instead and see if it launches any coppers to come after her. :DRight on Commander

gazzae
28-07-2005, 12:56
I'm I the only one who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about? :confused:

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2005, 12:57
I'm I the only one who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about? :confused:

25 and Never played Elite!!!!!????

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

Chris
28-07-2005, 13:00
I'm I the only one who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about?

No, I would have thought anyone your age or younger would probably be clueless. ;)

Probably the best computer game ever written (http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/)

Dang, beaten to it :p:

gazzae
28-07-2005, 13:04
Ah right. Nope never played it. Never really been into Sci-Fi stuff.

Chris
28-07-2005, 13:25
Contact!

Dave Stones
28-07-2005, 13:26
never played elite? i never even heard of it :erm:

must be a bit before my time, eh what? ;)

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 14:27
Oh, the blue danube played using the ZX Spectrum beep command - happy days.

never played elite? i never even heard of it :erm:

must be a bit before my time, eh what? ;)About a decade I would imagine.

Dave Stones
28-07-2005, 14:42
Oh, the blue danube played using the ZX Spectrum beep command - happy days.

About a decade I would imagine.

zx spectrum? :confused:

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 14:47
zx spectrum? :confused:http://www.cowl.co.uk/spectrum/spectrum_Photo.jpg

Chris
28-07-2005, 14:48
Somewhere along the line this thread went off topic ... :confused: ;)

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 14:52
A facinating article on the development.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/c3101800.htm

Now back on topic, I recall that the computers that fly the shuttle are not much more powerful than the BBC Model B.

Chris
28-07-2005, 14:54
A facinating article on the development.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/c3101800.htm

Now back on topic, I recall that the computers that fly the shuttle are not much more powerful than the BBC Model B.

That would certainly have been the case when they were first designed, although I imagine they must have had upgrades since.

SMHarman
28-07-2005, 15:07
I recall reading not so much... There have been the stories of NASA scouring ebay for hardware...

Also I recall reading somewhere that the older chips were of sufficent incomplexity that they were able to devote resource to ascertain that they were mathmatically correct, or at least where the problems were, not wanting a floating point calculation error during reentry and all that, also older chips are less compressed on the chip so the vibrations are less likely to cause damage to the chip.

So the laptops the mission plans etc on, v. hi-tech, the flight control software and hardware, not so much.

I did this google "does the space shuttle run on a 386?"

and found this
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/avionics/dps/gpc.html

So not a 386, but an IBM AP-101S or 5

"The upgraded GPCs allow NASA to incorporate more capabilities into the space shuttle orbiters and apply more advanced computer technologies than were available when the orbiter was first designed. The new design began in January 1984, whereas the older GPC design began in January 1972. "

However the space station...

Even the International Space Station has less brains than you would think. Obviously the hardware is more modern than that of the Shuttle †“ after all, itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a lot newer for a start. It stays up there thanks to the phenomenal computing power of - wait for itâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦.

An 80-386SX CPU

Can you feel the speed? Would run a good game of elite (though a 486 would be better and could run elite+ with shading) - dang - off topic again.

Mission Control: Mission Control to ISS
ISS: listening
Mission Control: ISS, you are drifting off orbit please advise
ISS: I've got three bounty hunters attacking me and I am surfing the sun for fuel, this must be taking some processing resource off the stability controls, I'll save the game just as soon as I've docked.

Stuart
28-07-2005, 15:52
That would certainly have been the case when they were first designed, although I imagine they must have had upgrades since.

You would be surprised. A couple of years ago, Nasa set up a team to trawl Ebay for old computer parts (such as 286 CPUs) as they didn't have the money to upgrade them and wanted spares. This includes the computers for the shuttle's control systems..

Chris
28-07-2005, 16:54
NASA press conference (live now) is saying that no decision has been made either way about the grounding of the next scheduled Shuttle mission.

AndrewJ
29-07-2005, 21:05
Watching that tv now, okay I am addicted, I am sad like that.

It shall be playing 24/7/365.

Maggy
31-07-2005, 21:03
A third space walk being considered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4733495.stm

Now this sounds a little ominous..

Nasa is considering whether to send an astronaut out on a spacewalk to trim two protruding gap fillers on the underside of space shuttle Discovery.

This is a clever little link from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/sci_nat/05/shuttle_guide/html/default.stm

Maggy
01-08-2005, 12:28
Second spacewalk now being shown at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm#

:)

Maggy
02-08-2005, 12:14
Watching live on Sky the astronauts giving a press conference on the Space station now.What is it with the Beeb?As soon as it started they interrupted to talk over the top because they couldn't understand what was being said.Funny! I could hear it just fine! :mad:

At least Sky have the good manners to shut up. :tu:

Maggy
03-08-2005, 11:58
Now I have problems getting up the ladder with the pollyfilla without dropping summat.

This seems fraught with similar problems. :erm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4740651.stm

AndrewJ
03-08-2005, 12:01
Is it me or do these shuttles seem as well built as a 1970's Ford Escort 1.3L

Maggy
03-08-2005, 12:47
Space walk being streamed by the BBC at the moment..I want that toolbox... :D

I'd never have to get off the ladder/chair to retrieve a dropped tool again.I'd probably be bent under the weight of it in earth's gravity unfortunately. :D

Graham
03-08-2005, 20:34

Considering the amounts of physical stresses involved in getting the Shuttle into orbit and back again, I think they're doing pretty damn good.

homealone
03-08-2005, 20:40
Space walk being streamed by the BBC at the moment..I want that toolbox... :D

I'd never have to get off the ladder/chair to retrieve a dropped tool again.I'd probably be bent under the weight of it in earth's gravity unfortunately. :D

I watched it for a couple of hours, this afternoon - awesome, suspended in the middle of no-where on a stick & sounding as calm as you like, with the planet looking fantastic 'below' :tu:

Bill C
03-08-2005, 20:48

It might be But i would still love to take a ride in it :)

Halcyon
05-08-2005, 16:18
I think it is getting safer if we dont count any terrorist threats. Its like planes, it took time but they are now one of the safest methods of transport.
I think the moon is probably our best objective at the moment.
It will be interesting to see if a base can be set up there and if they can get an eco system going with plants.
They also say that the moon would make a good departure place for future rockets as less power is needed for launch due to the less weight issue so that is another thing being planned.
As for space tourism, it will get cheaper but its still way out of my price range for the moment, and I feel there is still lots to see on earth first.

yesman
08-08-2005, 09:56
The Shuttle prepares to return today, some great coverage here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8515881/)

AndrewJ
08-08-2005, 10:09
Best of luck to them I hope they make it safely to the ground.

In one piece of course.

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 11:19
Breaking news, return has been put back 24 hrs because of low cloud. source BBC.

Halcyon
08-08-2005, 17:46
I'l be watching this closely on TV. I hope all goes well for them tommorow.

marky
09-08-2005, 13:00
shuttle is a go for landing edwards airforce base at 1:12pm GMT:)

Stephen
09-08-2005, 13:17
good luck to them, am currently watching on Nasa's live streaming.

Paul K
09-08-2005, 14:11
Home safe and sound :tu:

Stephen
09-08-2005, 14:12
woohoo safe and sound

AndrewJ
09-08-2005, 14:13
Just watched it here, and a sigh of relief perhaps now it is time to retire the aging shuttles.

NASA proved it can adapt and brought Discovery home even when damaged.

Maggy
09-08-2005, 14:13
Fanbluddytastic. :tu: :cleader: :cleader: :cleader:

Paul K
09-08-2005, 14:28
Just watched it here, and a sigh of relief perhaps now it is time to retire the aging shuttles.

2010 is the date set for retirement, by then the replacement craft should be nearly ready to go. The next problem is to resolve the ammount of foam being released from the main tank on launch. Once that is fixed the shuttles will fly for years to come.

Chris
09-08-2005, 14:34

The question is, did Discovery really suffer unique, fatal damage on this mission, or is this something that has been going on for years, but which NASA has been getting away with until Columbia went down? Did they only find these problems in orbit because, for the first time, they were actually looking for them?

It seems a pretty big coincidence to me otherwise, that the Shuttle flies for years without any big problems, then all of a sudden one is lost and the next one is found to be at risk.

AndrewJ
09-08-2005, 14:39
I am not so sure the shuttles are older than I am and are not really outfitted for the 21st Century

Chris
09-08-2005, 14:45
I am not so sure the shuttles are older than I am and are not really outfitted for the 21st Century

In what way are they not outfitted for the 21st century? Space is the same as it ever was. I'm sure there is plenty of technology they could put on board to improve them, but they have been doing so with a series of in-service refits as well.

Space is a risky business and TBH I think NASA takes too few risks rather than too many. It has often been said - and I think it bears repeating - that NASA would be completely incapable of putting someone on the moon today because the mission would be condemned as simply too dangerous. How they are ever going to get to Mars I do not know. The Russians will probably do it first.

Nugget
09-08-2005, 14:48
I think that the main problem with the shuttles is the sheer amount of things that can potentially go wrong.

I was reading at the weekend that the shuttle has somewhere around 300 000 moving parts, all of which can, again potentially, go wrong with catastrophic results.

If you compare this with the fact that SpaceShipOne (the private 'spaceplane') only has 30 moving parts, you can see that the shuttle is overly complex, probably as a result of being built when it was built. In effect, the complexity of the shuttle breeds its own problems.

Havin g said that, I'm inclined to agree with Chris, that these problems were noticed with Discovery, more because NASA were looking for them than any luck.

SMHarman
09-08-2005, 16:45
Spaceship One does not have any cargo / launch capability though. The Cargo Bay Doors are I'm sure more than 2 moving parts.

Xaccers
09-08-2005, 21:50
If kenedy hadn't pushed for the moon back in the 60's, we'd most likely have a base on it by now.
NASA was planning a reusable spacecraft before he got his man on the moon and shaft the russians idea.
That skuppered their plans for the shuttle and a space station to launch to the moon from.
The USAF also wanted the shuttle designed in such a way it could be militarised, making it bigger and bulkier, and then changed their mind and pulled out at the last minute leaving NASA with a shuttle that wasn't to their own specific plans.

dilli-theclaw
23-11-2005, 19:56
So NASA are aiming for a May launch of the shuttle.

http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20051123-110459-5984r

I hope this goes without incident and they get back on track.

Mind you I also hope they get a move on with developing the new one too.

Hom3r
23-11-2005, 20:05
I don't know why they are wanting to cancel the shuttle before they have a garranteed replacement.

In 90/91 I was lucky enough to forefil a live long ambition and go to Kennedy Space Center in the US, and I saw the space memorial which is dedicated to all those who lost their lives in the pursuit of space exploration. (the following day George Bush Snr officially opened it) I spoke to a real life astronaught, they are all to aware of the dangers of there job but are still will to go into space regardless of the dangers.

dilli-theclaw
23-11-2005, 20:16
I don't know why they are wanting to cancel the shuttle before they have a garranteed replacement.

In 90/91 I was lucky enough to forefil a live long ambition and go to Kennedy Space Center in the US, and I saw the space memorial which is dedicated to all those who lost their lives in the pursuit of space exploration. (the following day George Bush Snr officially opened it) I spoke to a real life astronaught, they are all to aware of the dangers of there job but are still will to go into space regardless of the dangers.I'm not sure I follow - what are you suggesting?

Send up unsafe shuttles because astronaught's think it's an 'acceptable risk'?

Do you think that NASA doesn't need to do EVERYTHING possible to make sure the shuttle crew is safe?

SMHarman
24-11-2005, 12:37
Isn't he saying that as an astronout you are aware of and accept the risk that a flight might result in you not returning to Earth and that you consider your job / life is worth that risk. That is not saying that NASA should not do everything possible to minimise this risk, but in space travel acceptable risk should be higher than acceptable risk on a commercal pax jet (say)

Scarlett
24-11-2005, 13:11
I'm not sure I follow - what are you suggesting?

Send up unsafe shuttles because astronaught's think it's an 'acceptable risk'?

Do you think that NASA doesn't need to do EVERYTHING possible to make sure the shuttle crew is safe?

As I understand it , the risk of death for an astronaught is around 1 in 60 in any case*. The shuttles (and space travel) are inherently unsafe but if we didn't keep flying them, there is no way we would have of learning how to make them safer. There is a limit to what NASA can do to make the shuttle safe but there are times that you simply cannot know that events x,y, and Z occuring together will cause a disaster.

As long as NASA is doing everything to minimise the risk then thats good enough, if they can eliminate it then all the better but sometimes thats simply not going to be possible.

Scarlett,

*yeh, you think your car insurance is high... there life insurance is astronomical (so much so that NASA has to underwrite it)