PDA

View Full Version : new ntl mbr probs

madpro
11-07-2005, 16:29
hi eveyone

i'm just new to this forum and i hope someone can help

i just got ntl broadband installed on saturday and i cant even get it registered

the ethernet light is flashing, sync and ready are solid. my e-net card is built in to the m/b and seems to be installed properly

the annoying thing is that i phoned the technical help line and they told me the e-net light should be flashing, which i'm sure it shouldn't

i was thinking about trying a new cable and maybe buying another e-net card. before i did i just wondered if anyone had any ideas

Stuart
11-07-2005, 16:35
Do you get your connection through a Cable modem (sounds like it, just need to be sure)? Or is it through your TV Set Top Box?

Do you have a router connected? If you do, try disconnecting it and connecting straight to the modem.

madpro
11-07-2005, 16:38
no its connected with a cable modem 250 ( i think)

no router or anything

fresh install of windows xp as well!

Stuart
11-07-2005, 16:42
There are two kinds of Ethernet cable. Straight-through, which is the normal kind you use to attach devices (such as PCs) to routers and switches, and Crossover (which is used to connect PCs together).

I am not really familiar with the modem, as I have a Samsung Set Top Box, but it's possible you are using the wrong kind of Ethernet cable. The Pace 1000 and 2000 Set Top Boxes needed a crossover cable. It's possible the modem does to.
I am sure somebody with more knowledge will be around soon.

madpro
11-07-2005, 16:44
i am using the cable left by the ntl engineer, so i hope it is the right 1!!

i'll try a new cable and maybe try installing a new nic

Chris
11-07-2005, 16:47
You need straight-through cable for a SACM. It's been a while since I had NTL but I think the e-net light should flash - or rather, flicker as data is passed between the PC and the modem. If it's flashing steadily, that doesn't sound right.

What error messages are you getting on your PC when you try to go online with it?

Chris W
11-07-2005, 16:48
:welcome:

It is normal for the ethernet light on the modem to be flashing.

Also the 250 modems are auto-negociating, so in theory it doesn't matter whether you connect a straight or crossover cable, although i haven't tested this yet.

Which version of windows are you using?

How far do you get on the registration process? and what ip address are you getting on the computer?

ikthius
11-07-2005, 16:52
the e-net light should flicker as I am on the e-net using my NTL modem.

I found that installing it through usb is best way, then jump on the net to make sure it works, then put off modem and computer, change the cables from usb to e-net and then reboot modem, wait for a bout 3 mins then reboot computer, this should sort your problem.

ik

madpro
11-07-2005, 16:54
i'm using xp pro, and i get to the part where it's trying to register the modem
i cant exectly re. the ip address but i'm sure it started with 80.

Chris W
11-07-2005, 16:57
First disable any firewall software that you are using.... Try accessing https://80.5.178.26/

The serial number you need is ntl ct8 cj486

madpro
11-07-2005, 17:00
thanks guys

i'm not actually in front of the pc at the mo, so will try these things when i get home

just want to say cheers for all the quick replies

Stuart
11-07-2005, 17:16
madpro. Welcome to Cableforum BTW.

madpro
12-07-2005, 14:45
thanks everyone for your quick replies!!

managed to fix the problem!! although i had turned my firewall off there is still an option in sygate to block traffic when the software is off, unticked that box and it all went perfect after that!!

thanks everyone

Monster Jedi
12-07-2005, 15:07
I have a prob with wireless connection. My internet connection drops by half. Then die's any ideas

Chris
12-07-2005, 15:39
Sounds like radio interference. Is your router near a cordless phone? Is it better/worse in different rooms/when the microwave is on/when the neighbour is out washing his car? Sadly radio intereference can be a right royal pain in the bum to track down.

Monster Jedi
12-07-2005, 16:30
My wireless router is next to my pc. It's linked to my ethernet card . I have my son's pc on a usb networking card. It's a weird prob chris