PDA

View Full Version : can I exeed the 30gb download per month?

hondo
11-07-2005, 13:03
Lads n Lasses,
We are having NTL installed...the 3 for £30 package with TV upgraded along with the broadband to 2MB. It has a download limit of 30GB per Month.
Is it possible to exceeed this and pay per gig?.

Im also guessing that NTL Cable modem will present and ethernet connection, so I shud be ok using a wireless router ethernt connected and share the connection ?....its a belkin with DHCP NAT etc.
Any help would be appreciated?

Paul K
11-07-2005, 13:06
Welcome to the forum :)
Currently the caps are not enforced so you can exceed them without to much trouble. (If you exceed them by a lot on a regular basis you may get an email warning you about it.) In the future when cap limits are enforced I would expect that paying per gig for exceding your limits would be possible.
What equipment gets installed is down to your geographical location and also down to what services you are taking but Ethernet connections are suitable for both SACM and STB usage so your router should be fine as long as it's not an ADSL router. What model is it exactly?

hondo
11-07-2005, 13:12
Hi Paul,

Many Thanks for such a swift response Mate!
It a Belkin fsd6230-3. not an ADSL Modem simply a wireless router. To be honest I dont have massive downloads but I was concerned that if I did the system would freeze and advise.."You have reached you download limit" and I would have to wait for w while to reactivate.

cheers

Dave

Paul K
11-07-2005, 13:15
Yep the router should be fine, it's a DSL router so it should be fine to use with whatever equipment gets installed for you. You are soft capped on the bandwidth so NTL are unlikely to cut you off unless you seriously infringe on your contract with excessively high usage on a near constant basis.

hondo
11-07-2005, 13:16
May Thanks Paul....

Paul K
11-07-2005, 13:19
You're welcome, if you get bored you could always read this
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25635 ;)

Neil
11-07-2005, 13:41
Do read that thread as this one is now closed due to the fact we don't need another cap thread. ;)