PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog connection problems?

slugger
10-07-2005, 13:03
Can any of u computer geeks out there help an old man out? For the last three years, I've been using ntl cable. This past week, I've tried to move from ntl to Bulldog Broadband. Unfortunately, after installing Bulldogs' equipment, I encountered a persistant problem. Its called having to log in every 10minutes due to internet loss. I don't know why this is so I rang Bulldog. What an experience!! Four hours waiting, in my opinion, in a non-existant queue, having to listen to chatter in the background. The second time was no good either. After an hour wait, I was told I needed "an e-mail" account!! Why? I've got three!! What do I need another one for? I cannot log on to my account as the passwords that they gave me don't work:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: At the minute, my ntl cable has not been disconnected, thats how I'm accessing the internet. I do not particularly want to stay with ntl or BT as I'm fed up of being ripped off. Does anybody has any suggestions of how to sort this ADSL problem out as I can't get any help from Bulldog. Thanks.

MadGamer
10-07-2005, 13:52
I find this absolutly appauling, have you gone to their website and contacted them through there? If not i would cancel you subscription and go with Demon. http://www.demon.net

Im going back to them after my contract with AOHELL has ended. Ive been with them before and had no problems whatsoever. (Demon)

MovedGoalPosts
10-07-2005, 14:55
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I have heard elsewhere that Bulldog can be great, if it's all working well, but their support can suck, big time.

Most ISPs will require you to have an email account as part of their package. It's their means of sending you messages about your account. No doubt though bulldog's system is set to only accept an @bulldog type address, rather than anything else you input. Outlook Express and other email client's can accept multiple email accounts (I've got about 10 running in mine), set it to auto connect and then ignore, you don't need to use it, just get the messages.

The biggest problem here is the password issues. Only Bulldog will be able to sort that and without that you are going to go round and round in circles. Good luck.

slugger
10-07-2005, 18:42
Wayne A,
Thank you for the reply to my post. I have tried contacting them through their website but to no avail, no reply, nothing at all. But, I am putting this down, in part, to the appalling bombings as London is where they're based and I take it that the staff weren't there to reply to my e-mail as yet. I'll see what happens in the next 2 or 3 days. In the meantime I will try to phone them - again - and see if I can get anything out of them in the way of information. I will take a look at Demon and see if it suits what I want. Thanks once again.

MovedGoalposts (soon to be Rob C),
Thanks for the reply mate. You are definately right at the minute, Bulldog do suck, big time. I've just paid a visit to my local PC World and I've spoken to a customer in there who had the exact same problem with the same company. He's now in the process of changing to another ISP (Plusnet.com). He says that its a lot better but a 2meg connex is no use to me at the minute as I do a hell of a lot of online gaming. 2meg down maybe, but whats the upload from a 2meg down going to be? My guess - about 56k!!!! which is absolutely no use to me. As I have put in my reply to Wayne A, I will try to get in touch with them again, by phone, and hopefully get some help this time. I have just dropped them yet another e-mail in so will wait and see what happens. Thanks once again.

mrlipring
10-07-2005, 18:50
the upload on 2meg down tends to be 256kbit up. You'll get better than that with BD in ideal situations, of course.

Ignition
10-07-2005, 19:05
OK time to get a grip on all of this.

Firstly, your disconnects are probably due to you being too far from the exchange for the speed Bulldog have set you at, so you're going to need to get them to slow you down a bit, also you need microfilters on all phone sockets - I trust you've got these?

With Bulldog the upload depends entirely on if you're on LLU which is their 8Mbit service or if you're on 2Mbit max service.

If you're in one of their 8Mbit areas your upload even with 2Mbit will probably be 512k still.

Online gaming, the upload bandwidth doesn't make that much odds at all, so long as they offer enough bandwidth for the game you're playing the pings etc are the same whether on 256k, 512k or 100mbit.

I wouldn't bother with Demon there are far better offers out there, http://www.adslguide.org.uk for more information on DSL ISPs.

slugger
10-07-2005, 19:36
Hello Ignition,
I'm about 200metres away from the exchange as far as I know, I also have microfilters on my phone sockets, (both of them), and I was only joking about the 56k upload!! I'm just about to take a look at the weblink that you sent to me. thanks for the help every bit of information from any source is welcome as I'm definately no computer geek like I said. Thanks.

MadGamer
10-07-2005, 20:16
Hello Ignition,
I'm about 200metres away from the exchange as far as I know, I also have microfilters on my phone sockets, (both of them), and I was only joking about the 56k upload!! I'm just about to take a look at the weblink that you sent to me. thanks for the help every bit of information from any source is welcome as I'm definately no computer geek like I said. Thanks. Demon do a 2meg service for £24.99 a month. Have a tempted you to change? :D

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2005, 20:23
Demon do a 2meg service for £24.99 a month. Have a tempted you to change? :D

ntl do a 2meg service for £24.99 per month too...

MadGamer
10-07-2005, 21:05
Demon do a 2meg service for £24.99 a month. Have a tempted you to change? :D

ntl do a 2meg service for £24.99 per month too... ahhh but Demon are uncapped :)

Ignition
10-07-2005, 22:13
For now.

£24.99 under BT charging schemes is unsustainable as an uncapped product.

slugger
12-07-2005, 15:27
Update as of today, 12th July. Bulldog definately sucks!! 8meg connection in this area (Staffordshire) does not exist even though they told me that it did. Passwords do not work regardless of how many times you try to put them in to activate your account. Phone numbers are not witheld at your request and vice versa. E-mails don't work to this company, they are just ignored and neither do phone calls. My opinion, don't bother with them, they're useless as you get nowhere fast - nuff said. :Yikes:

Try this instead. Free2serve.com. As from end August 2005, 8meg connection available in most of the country at a price which is very affordable - 24.99p.m. This is my next course of action:) Thank you to all the people who have put posts up in answer to my question, your advice was welcomed and appreciated.:angel:

Slugger

Nidge
13-07-2005, 16:13
Update as of today, 12th July. Bulldog definately sucks!! 8meg connection in this area (Staffordshire) does not exist even though they told me that it did. Passwords do not work regardless of how many times you try to put them in to activate your account. Phone numbers are not witheld at your request and vice versa. E-mails don't work to this company, they are just ignored and neither do phone calls. My opinion, don't bother with them, they're useless as you get nowhere fast - nuff said. :Yikes:

Try this instead. Free2serve.com. As from end August 2005, 8meg connection available in most of the country at a price which is very affordable - 24.99p.m. This is my next course of action:) Thank you to all the people who have put posts up in answer to my question, your advice was welcomed and appreciated.:angel:

Slugger

I'll second that too, had mine installed yesterday morning and it's still not working, trying to get through to tech support is an art in itself. I've not even got on line yet and I'm thinking of cancelling it.