PDA

View Full Version : Problem with IP address

SpyJoe
10-07-2005, 11:41
I know there r similar topics, but they didn't help me...

I've started having a problem with my ip address since yesterday. I just did a reboot and my internet stopped working...

I have Win XP Pro without service packs and a cable modem, which is connected straight to my pc through Ethernet Card. I tried with USB, and it doesn't work either...

The problem is that I get a 169.254.xx.xx ip, which I believe is a private IP.
In my connection I have set to obtain ip automatically.
When I try to release my ip, it works, but when I try to renew it, it says: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

In Administrative Tools DHCP Client is turned on and on automatic.

When I go to event viewer there is a warning, which says: "Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXX. The IP address being used is 169.254.xx.xx"

The problem is not with ethernet card, cable or a modem, because when I connect my friend's laptop it works perfectly...

I can't call my ISP, because it's saturday, so I will either have to fix it myself or wait till Monday...

I have tried using the same ip as on my friend's laptop when he connects to my modem, but it doesn't work...

I have found this web site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html

It says I have to reset my modem before connecting new pc, but even that doesn't work...

Any help would be appreciated... thank you...

quadplay
10-07-2005, 11:45
Hi SpyJoe, and :welcome: to CF.

I'd suggest you try disabling and uninstalling any firewalls you've got - they may be blocking the DHCP messages coming from your ISP. If your friends laptop works on the cable modem, you're right that it can't be the modem or Ethernet cable at fault, however there is a possibility that it's the Ethernet card in your computer. Is it possible to connect your cable modem via USB? If so, try this, just to rule your NIC out of the equation.

JohnHorb
10-07-2005, 11:51
:welcome: You say you've tried 'resetting' the modem. Is that a full reset? I.e. shutdown and power off PC. Power off modem. Power on modem, leave till all lights settled down. Power on PC.

You say the problem is not with the Ethernet card, cable or modem because you can connect with your friends lap-top. I'm assuming you have used the same cable, but the same Ethernet card? (Is it a PCMCIA card?)

Any firewall? If so, try switching off temporarily, to eliminate as a cause (just in case the firewall is blocking DHCP requests)

[Edit] beaten to it, with much the same advice.

Bill C
10-07-2005, 11:59
I know there r similar topics, but they didn't help me...

I've started having a problem with my ip address since yesterday. I just did a reboot and my internet stopped working...

I have Win XP Pro without service packs and a cable modem, which is connected straight to my pc through Ethernet Card. I tried with USB, and it doesn't work either...

The problem is that I get a 169.254.xx.xx ip, which I believe is a private IP.
In my connection I have set to obtain ip automatically.
When I try to release my ip, it works, but when I try to renew it, it says: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

In Administrative Tools DHCP Client is turned on and on automatic.

When I go to event viewer there is a warning, which says: "Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXX. The IP address being used is 169.254.xx.xx"

The problem is not with ethernet card, cable or a modem, because when I connect my friend's laptop it works perfectly...

I can't call my ISP, because it's saturday, so I will either have to fix it myself or wait till Monday...

I have tried using the same ip as on my friend's laptop when he connects to my modem, but it doesn't work...

I have found this web site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html

It says I have to reset my modem before connecting new pc, but even that doesn't work...

Any help would be appreciated... thank you...

Have you used any spyware removal tools, They can course this problem. try this fix HERE (http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip)

That fix will fix most 169 problems on xp :)

SpyJoe
10-07-2005, 20:37
Thank you for answering so fast...

I said that it's not Ethernet Card's fault, because it was working before and I bought it not a long time ago, so I don't think that it died...

Here's what I did:

I took out my ethernet card and uninstalled my firewall, but it still doesn't work...

I haven't used USB connection before. Is there supposed to be connection shown in Network Connection window, just as it is shown when Ethernet exists? At the moment there is no such icon, and when I try to create a new connection, it says that it already exists...

Also I have tried to install USB connection with NTL Installation Disk, but it says, that IP cannot be renewed...

When I do ipconfig with USB connection, all it says is Windows IP Configuration and nothing else. Is that right?

Yes I have done exactly that when resetting my modem. I even leave it not connected for 5-10 mins just to be extra sure...

I applied WinSock XP fix, but it didn't help either...

Then I inserted Ethernet Card and when PC booted up it started working... :)

I installed firewall again and it stopped working... :(

When I uninstalled it and booted up it started working again...

It's strange, because I have been using same connection and same firewall for a year now and this never happened.
I have Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.1. Is there any way not to block DHCP, because I really like it...

So the problem must have been because Adaware SE Pro deleted some registries and then firewall started blocking DHCP....

I've been writing this post as I did one bit by one, and I'm not going to edit it, just to make it more strestfull for you guys... :)

Thank you so much, I love you all... hehe

If u can help me with Sygate firewall, that would be even better. thanks again...

nibbles
10-07-2005, 21:41
think u should be able to create a new rule in sygate to allow the DHCP server 2 ping u

SpyJoe
11-07-2005, 00:11
think u should be able to create a new rule in sygate to allow the DHCP server 2 ping u

I've looked everywhere in Sygate settings and I can't find that option...
Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Stuart
11-07-2005, 00:13
Try this:

1) Uninstall Sygate
2) Reboot
3) Try and access a site.
4) If all is well, reinstall Sygate.

SpyJoe
11-07-2005, 00:48
Try this:

1) Uninstall Sygate
2) Reboot
3) Try and access a site.
4) If all is well, reinstall Sygate.

If I uninstall Sygate, everything works perfectly. But as soon as I install it, internet doesn't work...

Even if I close it, it doesn't work, which I think means that when I install Sygate, it corrupts some of the DHCP files or something...

I found Advanced Rules in Sygate, but what IP do I add there and what options?
I tried adding my DHCP server ip and allowing all incoming and outgoing traffic, but that didn't work either...

My friend's latop has Sygate installed and it works perfectly for him with my modem. Very strange...

I turned on Windows Firewall at the moment, because sitting around with no firewall is way to dangerous..

Tezcatlipoca
11-07-2005, 01:34
Some stuff here on Firewall configuration:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/security.html

Nothing specific for Sygate though, but there are general hints etc.

SpyJoe
11-07-2005, 02:21
Some stuff here on Firewall configuration:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/security.html

Nothing specific for Sygate though, but there are general hints etc.

From that web site u gave me, I have read that I need to allow following things:

the cable modem itself (usually 192.168.100.1) for any protocol;
your local UBR's private IP address, for broadcast DHCP (UDP local destination port 68);
your ISP's DHCP server(s) for your area, for DHCP (UDP local destination port 68) and ICMP;
your ISP's DNS servers, for UDP from remote source port 53 to any local destination port.

I have found a feauture called Advanced Rules in Sygate and I have added all of the above, but it didn't work. Instead it couldn't even pick up a private ip and left me with 0.0.0.0...

If someone knows how to fix this, plz help me...

stedders
12-07-2005, 12:02
Hey guys,

Was browsing and thought I would offer my two cents.

I was asked by my Aunty to go round and have a look at her PC yesterday, she has been experiencing exactly the same issue - everything is working fine and then a week ago the internet just died, she couldn't do anything.

She uses Telewest Broadband as well.

I had a look at her set-up, my initial thoughts were along the same lines as everyone elses - Firewall/Spyware issue.

I went through uses Search and Destroy and changed the Firewall settings, but still no joy.

Whenever the Modem restarts it tries to renew its IP, obtains an internal IP address and is then unable to connect to anything on the internet.

The odd thing is that there is no issue with the Modem or the NIC, I even replaced it.

I think it could be a local Telewest issue, she is based in the Feltham area SW London.

SpyJoe, where are you operating from?

Paul K
12-07-2005, 12:21
Hey guys,

Was browsing and thought I would offer my two cents.

I was asked by my Aunty to go round and have a look at her PC yesterday, she has been experiencing exactly the same issue - everything is working fine and then a week ago the internet just died, she couldn't do anything.

She uses Telewest Broadband as well.
Erm "as well?" This is a NTL thread ;) If you need assistance with a Telewest issue you would be best off posting a new thread in the Telewest support forum so that people who know that you are on TW and not NTL :)

stedders
12-07-2005, 13:18
LOL - should have checked

Paul K
12-07-2005, 13:22
LOL - should have checked
Not a problem, post away in the Telewest area and people who use the service can help you :) Posting here would just lead to confusion lol

SpyJoe
12-07-2005, 22:12
Yeah I use NTL, so it's not Telewest's problem my internet doesn't work... :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that since nobody helped me with Sygate, I gave up and installed another firewall, which is Kaspersky Anti-Hacker and I found it quite good. Internet works and firewall does great job...

Thanks again for helping me...

Problem solved...