PDA

View Full Version : New Freedom dial-up number

dieselglider
03-10-2003, 15:28
I've just received an email stating that from 7th Oct, a new dial-up no. will be in force for NTL Freedom.

Quote-"When you log on after the 7th October you will see some simple on screen instructions which we ask you to follow. Failure to do so will result in you losing your internet connection."

And-"We have done our best to make the upgrade really simple so you won't need to make any changes to your computer settings."

To me, this reads as an update for the NTL dialler which I do not use. I just hope there are instructions for those of us who use Windows dun.

imback
03-10-2003, 15:36
To me, this reads as an update for the NTL dialler which I do not use. I just hope there are instructions for those of us who use Windows dun.

Sounds like it's just a new pop/telephone number, the dialler only dials a pre fix, and last time they done and off net service, the dialer box/smart box was only for telephone and not for the PC to plugged into as the prefix would be set in Dun.

So this change will include everyone on the service :)

dieselglider
05-10-2003, 11:13
Sounds like it's just a new pop/telephone number, the dialler only dials a pre fix, and last time they done and off net service, the dialer box/smart box was only for telephone and not for the PC to plugged into as the prefix would be set in Dun.

So this change will include everyone on the service :)
You seem to be getting confused between the hardware prefix dialler, and the software dial-up program which I was talking about.

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 00:31
I've just received an email stating that from 7th Oct, a new dial-up no. will be in force for NTL Freedom.

Quote-"When you log on after the 7th October you will see some simple on screen instructions which we ask you to follow. Failure to do so will result in you losing your internet connection."

And-"We have done our best to make the upgrade really simple so you won't need to make any changes to your computer settings."

Me neither,

I downloaded their Freedom Dialler crap that wanted to put 1470 before the number,

I duly F.... it off when I realised it still wasnt necessary.

Im waiting for a WiFi Transmitter to go up locally then I can Stuff NTL and get onto broadband, Im in one of those funny areasqquite a way from a Dig exchange and I dont want to spend a fortune on Net access from home.

Anyway I have decided to share out my connection wit other residents and as a result it will only cost me the same.

junderwd
17-10-2003, 18:50
I'm surprised no-one has given the new dial-ip 'phone number. It seems to be
1470 0808 9909877. The DNS addresses, POP, SMTP and news server stuff do not seem to have been changed, thank goodness. The ntl dial-string converter boxes given to users with BT lines add the old 1263 prefix when appropriate, so modem users must ensure their DUN generates the 1470 as the ntl box won't. One way Windows users can do this is by entering 1470 as prefix for both local and long distance. {Open the Control Panel, select Modems, select the moden to be used (if more than one on system), click Dialing Properties. The "boxes" to enter the prefixes will be found roughly in the centre of the pane.}
junderwd

RND
23-10-2003, 12:24
my IP range has changed, it used to be 62.253..... now its 217.137.... quite a difference.