PDA

View Full Version : Never lend money to a mate

nibbles
09-07-2005, 03:52
Where 2 start...i lent £150 2 a m8 3 months ago he was supposed 2 pay me i back in a week or 2 but had a major argument with him an he aint paid me it back, he's ignoring my txt n aint answering the phone, if this was 10 years ago when i was a hell of a lot less controlled i'd av just kicked the crap out of him my g/f & dad says forget about it but why should i! if it was a fiver i wouldn't be bothering he's not leaving me with any options bit difficult getting an impartial opinion @ home what do u think i should do?

Paul
09-07-2005, 04:44
It's called theft, report it to the police.

nibbles
09-07-2005, 06:31
It's called theft, report it to the police. trouble is he can just deny it, nowt lower than stealin from a m8

Roy MM
09-07-2005, 06:33
Going to the police will not work, you need proof that he owes you money, i've lent money out in the past, funny how they always cause an argument over something trivial to avoid you and payment, one of lifes lessons i suppose :(

Escapee
09-07-2005, 07:36
Going to the police is a non starter, if someone borrows something its a civil matter. My parents had a similar problem many years ago where a so called friend borrowed an item and wouldnt return it, the police said because there was no written agreement there was nothing they could do.

Personally I never borrow or loan money to friends or family, I remember the old saying " A friend in need is a pest "

Even though I'm fast approaching 40, I would use the kick the crap out of him method....... I once did to someone who tried to steal 20p off me, its nothing to do with the amount its the principle and letting people know I'm not a soft touch.

PWS
09-07-2005, 07:49
I think you need to go round and thank him

He's done you a huge favour.....he could have shown his true colours over something serious.
Where would he have been if you really needed a friend....sounds like he wouldnt be there for you..

£150... .cheap lesson compared to finding out later with something life threatening.....better now with cash than later

My my view......

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 08:09
It is only money and its shown to yourself you have good self control, he has lost a friend, gained a bad reputation in your eyes, and no doubt you will inform other people who know him about his true color's. Put it as a lesson well learned, I only lend cash to those I know I can trust, and that is very few people.

Otherwise welcome to the forums :D

Halcyon
09-07-2005, 10:56
I guess you have learned a valuable lesson then and know never to lend money again. The problem is there isnt much you can do now.
For money of a substantial amount like this, I would have drawn up a contract to sign which may have helped you out.
I wish you good luck.
If there is nothing else you can do to persuade him to give you the money back, name and shame him and tell everyone how he can not be trusted.

aliferste
09-07-2005, 11:03
Never lend money to a friend unless you are prepared never to get it back!
I though that was some kind of law or something!

When I lend cash to m8s it son the understanding that at some point in the future when I am in dire need then and only then will I get the "loan" back!

Steve H
09-07-2005, 11:14
Well I lent £100 odd quid off a mate back in March when we were on holiday. He kind of forced it on me though because he wanted to stay for a few more days :p:

Have the full intention of paying him back come September when I get my OD and Loans sorted, so it's not a biggy.

If I lend money of a mate, I will give it back. If it's a fiver or something though I'l just expect a pint or something ;)

makikomi
09-07-2005, 11:21
Polonious in "Hamlet" said "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." Sage advice really.

You could, I suppose, threaten him with small claims court action - this would not be expensive - you could represent yourself. But you'd probably need proof that you loaned him the money, or at least someone who could swear that you loaned him the money.

I have to say, the chances of getting the dosh back are slim. But I wouldn't let it rest. £150 is a lot of money, and besides what if he does it to lots of people? He needs to be taught that you don't steal off people who consider you a mate.

Raistlin
09-07-2005, 11:35
I assume you and your "mate" also have other mates?

Make sure that they all know what he has done, sometimes peer pressure can be a very useful thing.

makikomi
09-07-2005, 11:52
I assume you and your "mate" also have other mates?

Make sure that they all know what he has done, sometimes peer pressure can be a very useful thing.

Very true! Another piece of good advice.

Jules
09-07-2005, 13:30
Always sad when this happens. I wouldn't let him get away with it, maybe go round and have a word

dilli-theclaw
09-07-2005, 13:34
I'd definately do what you can to get it back. It's also the principle of the thing.

And - no - I don't lend money to m8's. I've been stiffed once, never again.

Paul
09-07-2005, 15:58
Going to the police will not workBelieve this if you wish. I have done it twice (once for money, once for a physical item) both times the police took action, and I got my items.

Halcyon
09-07-2005, 16:03
Maybe just informing the police and them phoning him up to have a quick word will persuade him to give the money back. So I guess it could work as a technique to motivate him.

Chrysalis
09-07-2005, 20:36
Never lend money to a friend unless you are prepared never to get it back!
I though that was some kind of law or something!

When I lend cash to m8s it son the understanding that at some point in the future when I am in dire need then and only then will I get the "loan" back!

Agree, I have lent money out but I am not a bank the friendship and goodwill is worth more usually. You never know the day when you need to borrow money yourself.

nibbles
10-07-2005, 06:45
bah..found out he's just moved lucky i know where 2 didn't get the info from him though, think i'll av 2 go cave man on im and go 4 the kick the **** outa the little **** option.
Thanks for the advice all

greencreeper
10-07-2005, 10:55
A "mate" owes me about £2000 in total, not including the CDs he nicked. I'm too soft, that's my trouble :(

zoombini
10-07-2005, 10:57
Has he got any valuables that are worth £150+?

You & your mate "baseball bat" could always persuade him to part with that till he pays up.

Halcyon
10-07-2005, 11:13
I'd be fuming if someone owed me £2000 !!!
I'd try and take them to court whatever way possible.

greencreeper
10-07-2005, 11:14
I'd be fuming if someone owed me £2000 !!!
I'd try and take them to court whatever way possible.
No point. He's a junkie - never going to have more than a few pence. It's a long story. I'm working hard on not being nice anymore :ninja:

makikomi
10-07-2005, 11:31
I'd have thought that you have 2 choices: either have nothing more to do with him, or get him into rehab.

purenuman
10-07-2005, 11:57
Shouldn't this thread be called "Never lend money to somebody you think is a mate".

Nobody in this thread that has had problems lending money has, to my mind, described a proper friend/mate....... except maybe greencreeper (guessing obviously as I don't know the details) and even then maybe it would be fairer to blame the blokes addiction.........

I have lent money to friends over the years and never had a problem getting it back....

Know who your real friends are.........

Jules
10-07-2005, 12:00
Good Advice Pure.

I am the type of person that would give some one my last penny if I thought they needed it more than me :(

purenuman
10-07-2005, 12:12
Good Advice Pure.

I am the type of person that would give some one my last penny if I thought they needed it more than me :(

Lend me a tenner then ;)

You know you want tooooooooo :D

Jules
10-07-2005, 12:33
I said a penny not a tenner ;) lol

Could you not take him to the small claims court Nibbles

purenuman
10-07-2005, 15:03
I said a penny not a tenner ;) lol

Could you not take him to the small claims court Nibbles

OK I'll take penny then!..................

What does she look like? :D

Jonboy
10-07-2005, 16:33
i will be borrowing about £3000. off a very good mate of mine he is mega rich i am a porper :) so i can help my son get his own transport for work but i have made my son setup a direct debit thingy to repay him not that i dont trust him its because if anything goes wrong i will be the one who gets it in the butt not my son and i aint about to see 20 odd years of frendship go down the pan

Escapee
10-07-2005, 17:30
i will be borrowing about £3000. off a very good mate of mine he is mega rich i am a porper :) so i can help my son get his own transport for work but i have made my son setup a direct debit thingy to repay him not that i dont trust him its because if anything goes wrong i will be the one who gets it in the butt not my son and i aint about to see 20 odd years of frendship go down the pan

I also have a mate who is always rolling in money, I have bought a few things off him and he always says "pay me again" I always pay on the spot. We have gone to a few car shows and he has got a wad of notes out of his poscket when I have been fancying a car. I never take up the offer, and I know that some so called friends he has lent money to have ripped him off.
I know I'm too proud to ask, but I suppose I have a buffer zone if I ever need to get my hands on some cash quickly.

My Father is one of eleven, and I remember my nan saying I was her favourite grandchild. I couldn't understand the statement as I never really had much to do with her, however she qualified it by saying "You are not false like the others, they come to visit me because they want money"

I have given money and items away to friends who are short of money, I would buy food for their table and not expect anything in return. However I have never handed over cash to mates, it only seems to be women that have extracted cash from me! :D

greencreeper
10-07-2005, 17:34
Nobody in this thread that has had problems lending money has, to my mind, described a proper friend/mate....... except maybe greencreeper (guessing obviously as I don't know the details) and even then maybe it would be fairer to blame the blokes addiction.........
Exactly - definitions of friends vary. I also think you have different levels of friendship - from the casual acquaintance, to the best mate. My mate sees himself as some great explorer of another consciousness, which neatly justifies his addiction. He's tried to get clean but never will - he's self-dillusional, avoiding dealing with the past, present and future and responsibility therein. There are some parts of him I like, others I don't. It comes down to whether you can and should separate the parts, or treat the person as a whole. I've not seen him in ages, though we occasionally chat on MSN/Yahoo.

Like said - too soft, too nice.

The Fool
10-07-2005, 17:47
probably best to just forget it. You don't need 'mates' like that anyway. Civil Court is largely a waste of space as getting a judgement is not the same as actually getting your money back and if the guy is a bounder he will have all sort of ways of wriggling out of it. Get a solicitor involved and you will probably lose your money about 3 or 4 times over again - good money chasing bad money

Escapee
10-07-2005, 18:11
Since my last post I have had a call from a "friend", she said "do you fancy coming down tonight" (in a seductive deep dark dusky voice) Then she asked if I can pick up some Milk, Bread, Sandwich Meat and Crisps on the way!

Thats just typical of her type, I guess I will get there have a cup of coffee a chat and that will be that. Women they are such teasers, useing their charm to get something for nothing.

I know her situation, and would prefer her to of told the truth and said "I'm skint and have no money to make food for my daughter to go to school" I would of still dropped off the items to her, why does she have to make it sound like theres something in it for me! :confused:

purenuman
10-07-2005, 18:54
Since my last post I have had a call from a "friend", she said "do you fancy coming down tonight" (in a seductive deep dark dusky voice) Then she asked if I can pick up some Milk, Bread, Sandwich Meat and Crisps on the way!

Thats just typical of her type, I guess I will get there have a cup of coffee a chat and that will be that. Women they are such teasers, useing their charm to get something for nothing.

I know her situation, and would prefer her to of told the truth and said "I'm skint and have no money to make food for my daughter to go to school" I would of still dropped off the items to her, why does she have to make it sound like theres something in it for me! :confused:

It worries me that you think there should be something of that kind in it for you!!!!

Maybe she sees you as a friend that will help but is far toooo humiliated to admit her failings and say "I'm in a mess".

I am hoping I'm wrong here but it sounds like you would not mind at all if she was paying you in 'kind'............. I hope I'm wrong but that's just typical of your type, you give us men a bad rep!!!!

kronas
10-07-2005, 18:58
why does she have to make it sound like theres something in it for me! :confused:

usally having noticed how people behave towards each other nobody does anything for nothing so i think thats where she came from, even if it was false pretences, either this or she would be incredibly embarrased by admiting she is currently having cash flow problems.

Chrysalis
10-07-2005, 22:37
If you willing to take someone to court or beat them up, then how good of a friend are you yourself? End of the day he probably hasnt got the money spare to pay you back and even if he did, do you need it? Friendships are about supporting each other if you put money above it then your friendships dont mean much.

kronas
10-07-2005, 22:55
if life has taught me something it is:

never trust a mate

never ask anything from a mate

never rely on a mate

do everything yourself and look after number one, its the best the thing you can do because in life what you do yourself helps you in the end, freindships relationships come and go.

Raistlin
10-07-2005, 22:58

never trust a mate

never rely on a mate

do everything yourself and look after number one, its the best the thing you can do because in life what you do yourself helps you in the end, freindships relationships come and go.

Ouch, that's a pretty harsh lesson to have learnt already - not necessarily one that I would agree with either.

My mates can always rely on me to do everything that I can for them. Whilst that might not always be very much, I will help if I can.

kronas
10-07-2005, 23:05
Ouch, that's a pretty harsh lesson to have learnt already - not necessarily one that I would agree with either.

its just going on my own experiances, in the end everyone is out for themselves, decent and honest people such as myself get trounced on.

My mates can always rely on me to do everything that I can for them. Whilst that might not always be very much, I will help if I can.

good luck to you, maybe its the area im in but everyone is out for themselves, sometimes people ring me because they want or need something only, i can seperate associates and freinds but that list does not even include one freind, so you see my predicament.

Raistlin
10-07-2005, 23:06
so you see my predicament.

Indeed I do. Not sure I could look at it as plainly as that, but I can see where you're coming from.

kronas
10-07-2005, 23:10
Indeed I do. Not sure I could look at it as plainly as that, but I can see where you're coming from.

its quite simple really, everyone wants to know you when in need, or they can borrow something or even something such as 'oh i forgot my wallet' or im 'short' purposefully doing so, to be honest thats where you get rather disenfranchised, you want to do good but you used or your just there as a 'convenience' towards something else, it seems freindship to me is something thats not what i have said.

homealone
10-07-2005, 23:21

never trust a mate

never rely on a mate

ouch - true in many ways, but I have 'mates' I have known for many years, the 'goes round, comes round' principle applies even more, the longer you apply it ;) - don't write everybody off :)

kronas
10-07-2005, 23:23
ouch - true in many ways, but I have 'mates' I have known for many years, the 'goes round, comes round' principle applies even more, the longer you apply it ;) - don't write everybody off :)

i cant seem to find anyone who shares the same common values as myself, ive kind of lost faith in this society really, im one of the good guys, i just get on with things, it gets disheartening though when you go all out for others and you get nothing (not that i have asked for something or wanted it) or not even a thank you, and contacted for reasons i stated before.

i dont think freindship as a word pretty much exists anymore, acquaintances or associates maybe better terms.

budwieser
10-07-2005, 23:25

Go and give her some " Sandwich Meat" mate!:D :D :D :disturbd:

Excuse my coarseness!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:

purenuman
10-07-2005, 23:31

never trust a mate

never rely on a mate

It sounds like you have had a ruff ride but when you meet and become true friends/mates you will know it and you will rubbish statements like that......

I know you feel it is true and the way to be now but I think that is because you have (from the sound of it) invested too much in people who you considered friends but they were not worthy of the title.....

homealone
10-07-2005, 23:36
i cant seem to find anyone who shares the same common values as myself, ive kind of lost faith in this society really, im one of the good guys, i just get on with things, it gets disheartening though when you go all out for others and you get nothing (not that i have asked for something or wanted it) or not even a thank you, and contacted for reasons i stated before.

i dont think freindship as a word pretty much exists anymore, acquaintances or associates maybe better terms.

that was a 'closed' response

- ever read about 'I'm ok, You're ok' , imo, you should, you should listen to your inner child, not try to be an adult, all the time ;)

kronas
10-07-2005, 23:38
It sounds like you have had a ruff ride but when you meet and become true friends/mates you will know it and you will rubbish statements like that......

I know you feel it is true and the way to be now but I think that is because you have (from the sound of it) invested too much in people who you considered friends but they were not worthy of the title.....

my long life experiance of trusting too many people is indeed what has caused the comments, but i dont think im wrong in what i have said, even the most trustworthy of people can stab you in the back, even if your the only consistant one, i welcome to be proved wrong, but of course i hopefully have plenty of time to meet people who can change my mind, but as i said what you experiance... its shapes your structure of thinking.

andyl
11-07-2005, 10:02
my long life experiance of trusting too many people is indeed what has caused the comments, but i dont think im wrong in what i have said, even the most trustworthy of people can stab you in the back, even if your the only consistant one, i welcome to be proved wrong, but of course i hopefully have plenty of time to meet people who can change my mind, but as i said what you experiance... its shapes your structure of thinking.

That's sad to hear. Where I live people would (and do) do anything for you - I've seen it time and time again.

Incidentally, I've often lent money to mates, not always expecting to get it back. I always have but as there are plenty of people worse off out there than me I don't expect it. If my mate, who's been laid off twice in two months, is too skint to buy a beer, I buy him one or two. That's not totally selfless though; don't want to be Billy No-mates talking to meself down the club!

nibbles
11-07-2005, 10:05
If you willing to take someone to court or beat them up, then how good of a friend are you yourself? End of the day he probably hasnt got the money spare to pay you back and even if he did, do you need it? Friendships are about supporting each other if you put money above it then your friendships dont mean much.who r u replying 2?

Chrysalis
11-07-2005, 17:09
The original poster and the guy who suggested to take him to court.

The blunt of my experience is this, if I lend money to a friend I dont expect it back I use the term "lending" but I am actually giving, I have also borrowed money and not paid it back I am still good friends with the person who lent me the money and he never brings it up.

I wouldnt blindly lend money to any mate tho, someone who I known at work for 2 months for example is a different kettle of fish to a mate I known for 10 years.

Steve H
11-07-2005, 17:23

Yeah I echo what he said.

Kronas, it just seems as though you havn't got any real mates yet.........

Damien
11-07-2005, 17:33

Do you really think you are the only decent person left in the world? Seriously, if you are confident that you are a trustworthy person then logic suggest there will be more than one of you. :D

Raistlin
11-07-2005, 17:34
Sooo..... About that business of lending money to a mate then..... :erm:

kronas
11-07-2005, 17:37
Do you really think you are the only decent person left in the world? Seriously, if you are confident that you are a trustworthy person then logic suggest there will be more than one of you. :D

no i never said that :p: (ok i did ) ;)

everyone seems 'bent' in someway that i know them :erm: im not just talking about illegalities im talking about other things, how you should treat people etc, i guess im too nice for my own good, im NEVER lending money out to anyone ever again, people make promises but break them far too easily.

Maggy
11-07-2005, 17:57
Some people I 'lend' money to never expecting it back.Others I 'know' I will get it back.I just make sure I don't loan more than a fiver to the former.To the latter I'll give what I can at the time....I'm not paupering myself for anyone. ;)

Mind when a student says can they borrow some money to pay for lunch/bus fare I really don't expect it back and I'm pleasantly surprised when I do get it back... ;)

nibbles
11-07-2005, 18:58
The original poster and the guy who suggested to take him to court.

The blunt of my experience is this, if I lend money to a friend I dont expect it back I use the term "lending" but I am actually giving, I have also borrowed money and not paid it back I am still good friends with the person who lent me the money and he never brings it up.i wudn't av brought it up, whole point is not replying to txt's n phone calls + i had 2 find out he's moved n not told me pretty much says it all when i when i lend money i expect at least the offer of money bak i wudn't nessessarly even accept it

scrotnig
11-07-2005, 22:27
What are these 'friends' you all speak of?

I have just realised I am in Gorton, Manchester as well.

I can state 100% it wasn't me, ok!

Chrysalis
12-07-2005, 01:27
I see it in a different light now, if I lent money top someone and then they chose to dissasociate themselves with me I too would be upset but I probably wouldnt chase it up unless I am desperate for the cash, you have no legal right for the money back unless there was a contract drawn up.

Maggy
12-07-2005, 08:26
Well as my old gran used to say 'neither a lender or a borrower be.'

That way you are likely to keep friends and lose the spongers. ;)

makikomi
12-07-2005, 09:04
I have just realised I am in Gorton, Manchester as well.

So where did you think you were before?

Buenos Aires?

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

She was quoting Polonius from Shakespeare's "Hamlet", as per my previous post. Incidentally, if she also used to say "Alas poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio.", she was quoting from Hamlet then too. :D

purenuman
12-07-2005, 09:52

That way you are likely to keep friends and lose the spongers. ;)

...............and possibly let down a good friend when they are really down and desperate.

Me? I'd lend anything I had that a friend was in need of, and have done.......

I've never been let down........ but then these are real friends and they would do the same for me.....

If you can't trust your "friends" then they........... [Do I need to go on]...

SMHarman
12-07-2005, 09:54
You have no legal right for the money back unless there was a contract drawn up.Well you have a verbal contract which is as binding as a written one, just harder to prove.

nibbles
12-07-2005, 10:29
Well you have a verbal contract which is as binding as a written one, just harder to prove.money i lent wus in front of another m8 so suppose i cud use that but i ope i aint gonna av 2:(

I have just realised I am in Gorton, Manchester as well.small world another person from this sunny cesspool eh

STONEISLAND
12-07-2005, 10:35
Where 2 start...i lent £150 2 a m8 3 months ago he was supposed 2 pay me i back in a week or 2 but had a major argument with him an he aint paid me it back, he's ignoring my txt n aint answering the phone, if this was 10 years ago when i was a hell of a lot less controlled i'd av just kicked the crap out of him my g/f & dad says forget about it but why should i! if it was a fiver i wouldn't be bothering he's not leaving me with any options bit difficult getting an impartial opinion @ home what do u think i should do?

Get a mate to borrow somthing thats his. And than say you will get it back when I get my cash. Or I would get his car keys. Or say you know people that will help out and you will need to be looking over your sholder.

Does he have a car?

nibbles
12-07-2005, 11:06
Get a mate to borrow somthing thats his. And than say you will get it back when I get my cash. Or I would get his car keys. Or say you know people that will help out and you will need to be looking over your sholder.

Does he have a car?wud rather not go 2 that length unless i av 2 but then again am sure my size 13 boot on the bak of his head'll convince im if it gets 2 that point. the money's no real issue cause i don't really need it, it's the principle of the thing init! suppose u never really know people do u

Escapee
12-07-2005, 11:27
It worries me that you think there should be something of that kind in it for you!!!!

Maybe she sees you as a friend that will help but is far toooo humiliated to admit her failings and say "I'm in a mess".

I am hoping I'm wrong here but it sounds like you would not mind at all if she was paying you in 'kind'............. I hope I'm wrong but that's just typical of your type, you give us men a bad rep!!!!

No I think the whole point is she is giving the come on to obtain something, you may say I give men a bad rep....... But consider if I was the type who expected something out of it, which I am not! thats how some women have got themselves into big trouble. Making suggestive promises to the wrong person could lead to something very bad happening to her without spelling it out.

She has obtained through goods (Petrol, groceries) and cash about £70 off me this week, she has never asked to borrow money before and I have known her as a friend for about 12 months. (No physical involvement) She has had a very difficult time personally with a husband who turned out to be a biggamist, and thats why I have had no problem with helping out, even if I never see any of the money back.

The fact that she has tried to set me up on a date with her best friend should tell the story of our friendship, you are right that she's humiliated and thats why she has not asked her boyfriend for money. Her boyfriend is the typical mean accountant, she mentioned her problems and he said "Let me look at your finances and organise them for you"

I dont think she has told him the financial problems her biggamist husband has left her with, shes got a good job (Doctor) but the debt built up by the husband and his running off to another country with the saving has made things difficult.

I do admit though, if it was offered I wouldn't say no ! that doesn't mean I would be accepting it as payment in kind though.

STONEISLAND
12-07-2005, 11:30
If I was you.

If I'm bigger, stronger than him I would pin him to a wall and say a few harsh but true words. You dont need to hit him, just scare him. He will soon pay up.

Or your loss and dont do it again.

Graham
12-07-2005, 17:14

She was quoting Polonius from Shakespeare's "Hamlet", as per my previous post.

Yeah, but everyone knows that Hamlet is just a bunch of famous quotes all strung together...! :D

Maggy
12-07-2005, 20:38
So where did you think you were before?

Buenos Aires?

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

She was quoting Polonius from Shakespeare's "Hamlet", as per my previous post. Incidentally, if she also used to say "Alas poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio.", she was quoting from Hamlet then too. :D

Shows my gran was a well educated woman then doesn't it? :p: And the meaning was still well worth paying attention to.Shakespeare was no slouch in expressing good ideas.

Chrysalis
12-07-2005, 20:48
Well I dont know about everyone else but if a mate I known for many years asked me for cash and the consequences were say him been evicted I would give him the cash no question. What people are forgetting here is banks etc. tend to only lend money when you can prove you dont need it, so you can be all high and mighty and refuse to help friends but that will have an effect if noone else lends them the money ie. loansharks eviction starvation etc. If the money is for a night on the **** I probably wouldnt lend it.

Maggy
12-07-2005, 22:00
Well I dont know about everyone else but if a mate I known for many years asked me for cash and the consequences were say him been evicted I would give him the cash no question. What people are forgetting here is banks etc. tend to only lend money when you can prove you dont need it, so you can be all high and mighty and refuse to help friends but that will have an effect if noone else lends them the money ie. loansharks eviction starvation etc. If the money is for a night on the **** I probably wouldnt lend it.

Well for me that would not be a loan..I wouldn't expect it back.However if someone is a friend as soon as they are able they offer to pay it back even if you have no intention of taking it. ;)

timewarrior2001
13-07-2005, 20:30
Send him a recorded delivery letter.

State in the letter that he has 21 says in which to come up with the money or you will take action in the small claims /county court.

Or pay a solicitor to send the letter.

Its the principal of the hting, had he been a mate he wouldnt have done you out of 150 quid. Sound like a ****ing ****** to me though.

nibbles
19-07-2005, 14:55
thought i'd just update this 1...the little **** txted me sayin he's moved n i aint gettin the money bak also found out a little legal problem i had that turned out 2 b bull**** was down 2 him cost me £400 now here's the interesting part i foned him he answered i got him to admit he owed me the money and 2 causeing me the other problem fing is he didn't know i wus tapein the call;) so i finshed the convrsation with fine selection of anglo saxon topted off wiv cu in court:mad: seems u never know anyone..what a lying little scumbag **** he turned out 2 b

Bifta
19-07-2005, 15:08
thought i'd just update this 1...the little **** txted me sayin he's moved n i aint gettin the money bak also found out a little legal problem i had that turned out 2 b bull**** was down 2 him cost me £400 now here's the interesting part i foned him he answered i got him to admit he owed me the money and 2 causeing me the other problem fing is he didn't know i wus tapein the call;) so i finshed the convrsation with fine selection of anglo saxon topted off wiv cu in court:mad: seems u never know anyone..what a lying little scumbag **** he turned out 2 b

Slightly pointless you recording the call, you can't use it for anything other than your own listening pleasure. £400 quid eh? Could have paid for some English lessons ;)

nibbles
19-07-2005, 15:15
Slightly pointless you recording the call, you can't use it for anything other than your own listening pleasure. £400 quid eh? Could have paid for some English lessons ;)not at all admiting to that + admiting it wus a loan + that he was supposed to pay it bak and had no intention of doing so covers enuff 4 a verbal contract apparently
edit:-and i've got txt messages and a witness to bak it up

Bifta
19-07-2005, 15:16
not at all admiting to that + admiting it wus a loan + that he was supposed to pay it bak and had no intention of doing so covers enuff 4 a verbal contract apparently

It's also completely inadmissable as evidence.

Jules
19-07-2005, 15:19

Tough lesson that you have learnt and it is sadly going to make you harder for it :( Not every one is like him honestly

nibbles
19-07-2005, 15:31
It's also completely inadmissable as evidence.cause he didn't know it was being taped?
i added to the previous post does the txt's and witness have any bearing?

Bifta
19-07-2005, 15:44
cause he didn't know it was being taped?
i added to the previous post does the txt's and witness have any bearing?

The only courtroom you're likely to get heard in is Judge Judy's.

Neil
19-07-2005, 15:49
not at all admiting to that + admiting it wus a loan + that he was supposed to pay it bak and had no intention of doing so covers enuff 4 a verbal contract apparently
edit:-and i've got txt messages and a witness to bak it up

Can you please stop posting in 'text speak'?

There are no limits to the amount of words & letters you can post here, & it will make it much easier for people to read.

Thanks.

nibbles
19-07-2005, 15:51
The only courtroom you're likely to get heard in is Judge Judy's.bahh..was worth a thought think i'll go bak to the kick the crap out of him option

Can you please stop posting in 'text speak'?

There are no limits to the amount of words & letters you can post here, & it will make it much easier for people to read.

Thanks. sorry...you can tell how much i use txt eh:)

Bifta
19-07-2005, 15:52
bahh..was worth a thought think i'll go bak to the kick the crap out of him option

Yeah, real sensible, then he get's to keep your money, you end up possibly doing a prison stretch and then he can sue you for more .. durrrrr

Graham
19-07-2005, 17:19
It's also completely inadmissable as evidence.

I don't think this is correct. AFAIK as long as one party knows the call is being recorded it's legitimate.

Bifta
19-07-2005, 17:22
I don't think this is correct. AFAIK as long as one party knows the call is being recorded it's legitimate.

Extracting the relevant part of his post confirms what I said, not admissable

is he didn't know i wus tapein the call

innit?

Raistlin
19-07-2005, 17:24
But surely the one party that knows that the call is being recorded.....is the person recording it.....that means that recording phone calls that are made by/to you is legal. It should also mean that they can be used as evidence.

Graham
19-07-2005, 17:34

Extracting the relevant part of his post confirms what I said, not admissable

is he didn't know i wus tapein the call

innit?

But *one* party of the call *did* know it was being recorded, ie the OP.

AFAIK it's only if I was to monitor his call to someone else (without authority from the Home Secretary) that I would be breaking the law.

Bifta
19-07-2005, 17:35
But surely the one party that knows that the call is being recorded.....is the person recording it.....that means that recording phone calls that are made by/to you is legal. It should also mean that they can be used as evidence.

The party being recorded has to be aware that they're being recorded or it's inadmissable, not only that as far as I'm aware recording a telephone call without the other parties consent is also a breach of the SPL licensing conditions which could then leave you open to civil action by OFCOM, unless through the breach they view it as you then being unlicensed, in which case then it becomes a criminal matter.

Self provisioning licenses are automatically granted when you take up a phone service with a providor

7.1 The Licensee shall not use or allow to be used any Apparatus comprised in or connected to the Applicable Systems (except for Apparatus connected to or comprised in the Applicable Systems for the purpose of law enforcement or in the interests of national security) which is capable of recording silently monitoring (except for monitoring where the meaningful content of the Message is not monitored) or intruding into Live Speech Telephone Calls unless he complies with paragraphs 7.3 and 74. Thus paragraph shall not apply if the Licensee is an Emergency Organisation or if the Director has consented to the Licensee not complying with any or all of paragraphs 7.3 and 74 and has not withdrawn that consent.

7.2 The provisions of each consent given under paragraph 7.1 shall be entered in the register kept by the Director for the purpose of section 19 of the Act.

7.3 The Licensee shall make every reasonable effort to inform parties to whom or by whom a Live Speech Telephone Call is transmitted before recording, silent monitoring or intrusion into such Call has begun that the Live Speech Telephone Call is to be or may be recorded, silently monitored or intruded into.

7.4 The Licensee shall maintain a record of the means by which the parties to whom or by whom a Live Speech Telephone Call is transmitted have been informed that such Call is to be or may be recorded, silently monitored or intruded into. The Licensee shall furnish to the Director such information on request.

Graham
19-07-2005, 17:49
The party being recorded has to be aware that they're being recorded or it's inadmissable, [...]
Self provisioning licenses are automatically granted when you take up a phone service with a providor

Fair enough, that's obviously changed since the last I heard.