PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network

timewarrior2001
08-07-2005, 16:14
OK I ventured into wireless networking today.

Well I was on the sick and bored, so I thought I'd spend some money needlessley.

OK I have it setup both machine connect (desktop and laptop). However when I enable 128bit WEP the laptop will not connect even though I have entered the WEP key into the settings on it.

Any ideas?

PS I am using the BELKIN software that came with it.

Chris
08-07-2005, 16:20
I am having all sorts of trouble with my motherinlaw's rig, using the Belkin kit she bought. It'll work instantly she switches it on for days at a time, and then suddenly 'forgets' the netwrok login profile and she has to enter the key and all sorts of other settings again ... wonder if it's a related problem?

timewarrior2001
08-07-2005, 16:27
I am having all sorts of trouble with my motherinlaw's rig, using the Belkin kit she bought. It'll work instantly she switches it on for days at a time, and then suddenly 'forgets' the netwrok login profile and she has to enter the key and all sorts of other settings again ... wonder if it's a related problem?

Well I have just been playing around, I entered the WEP after using the router to generate one. Laptop is now online and working (typing on it now)
Just used repair connection on desktop and got the network back, just re-booted the desktop now to see what happens..........

........hmmmmm windows could not connect ott he network, yet its working?????

I think the Belkin software over rides the windows software, but it doesnt sem to do it smoothly. I wonder if we both should try using the windows software only?

Chris
08-07-2005, 16:29
I wondered about that, WinXP gets very sniffy when I try to 'repair' her connection and says it can't, because 3rd party software is in use.

To complicate things, she is using the Belkin wireless router but not the wifi card, as her Acer laptop had one built in. Asking for trouble, I suppose, although it should all work seamlessly.

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 16:37
Try WPA instead of wep,

Also service pack 2 is meant to be good for wireless networks.

My mum has belkin equipment and has resorted to ethernet until i can get there and fix it

Chris
08-07-2005, 16:44
Sadly in my case it's using WPA already

etccarmageddon
08-07-2005, 17:01
I am having all sorts of trouble with my motherinlaw's rig, using the Belkin kit she bought. It'll work instantly she switches it on for days at a time, and then suddenly 'forgets' the netwrok login profile and she has to enter the key and all sorts of other settings again ... wonder if it's a related problem?I found my Belkin Pre N router to be a pile of poo and took it back to PCWorld and replaced it with Linksys, I bumped into a bloke their who said he'd seen on forums other people having problems with it.

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 17:02
have a look at who makes the chipset,

After some hunting i found out that my card uses the rt2500 chipset and i searched around and found some drivers that the manufacturer uses.

Maybe worth looking for then.

If yours uses rt2500 then the company is called ralink..

timewarrior2001
08-07-2005, 17:04
I Set up using WPA and all is now fine.....or so it seems......I'm now inn the kitchen so it must be working lol

If you can get just the drivers for the card then use windows to ocnfigure the network......it looks much simpler.

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 17:08
or it could be that windows is competing with the belkin software,

You can disable the windows zero config service, this will stop windows looking for wireless access points.

Then just assign a static ip but make sure you include the dns settings or you wont be able to attach to the internet.

control panel,admin tools, services,zero config. (disable it)

Chris
08-07-2005, 17:11
Problem is, Motherinlaw likes to be able to use hotspots while out and about - that would prevent her, wouldn't it?

(sorry TW, I'm hijacking here)

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 17:16
From a static ip point yes it would.

You can always re-enable it if the hotspot usuage was not that frequent

Although my ralink software lets me choose between windows zero config and its own..

Have a search you might get lucky

timewarrior2001
08-07-2005, 17:18
Problem is, Motherinlaw likes to be able to use hotspots while out and about - that would prevent her, wouldn't it?

(sorry TW, I'm hijacking here)

No no be my guest, I'm interested in anything to do with wireless and how its secured, setup etc etc.

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 17:21
just had a quick scan and in the belkin usb i think it uses the atmel chipset,

maybe that could help you?

nffc
09-07-2005, 01:37
do you have the latest firmware?