PDA

View Full Version : New Installation - Unable to contact your default Gateway (USB+Ethernet)

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 11:31
Hi all!

Says it all in the title really. When i'm trying to install, I get this message come up, if I install with an ethernet cable or a USB cable. I'm running a direct connection to my computer, with ZoneAlarm Firewall running. I thought at first it might have been a firewall problem, so I disabled that, still the same response. Then went to the TCP/IP settings, and everything is configured automatically. Pulling my hair out here! Any ideas?

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:43
How did you disable the firewall? If you just exited it you would probably have locked your network up.

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 11:47
Oh right, how do I disable it then?

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:50
I believe you have an option in the Zone Alarm control panel to select "Do not run on startup" or similar. If you just exit it from the task bar you will leave the Zone Alarm service running in the background with no program to control it.

paulyoung666
08-07-2005, 11:52
just bare in mind, assuming you are running xp , it is a very bad idea to be running without a firewall :erm: , :welcome: btw :)

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:55
Just to confirm something, are you connecting to a SACM or STB? Either way when you installed did you
Turn off PC and SACM/ STB
connect equipment with cable
Turn on SACM or STB
Allow lights to settle and lock on
Turn on PC
Open browser.

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 11:57
Thanks! Yeah, I tried that, but still gopt the same message from the installation CD. Any other suggestions?

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:59
Apart from uninstall the software? ;)
Have you tried disabling the firewall properly?

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 12:03
Sorry to be simple, but whats SACM and STB?
Yeah, I tried disabling the firewall properly but still no joy!

Nemesis
08-07-2005, 12:04
Sorry to be simple, but whats SACM and STB?
Yeah, I tried disabling the firewall properly but still no joy!

SACM - Stand Alone Cable Modem
STB - Set Top Box

Paul K
08-07-2005, 12:05
Stand alone cable modem
set top box
What operating system are you running?
If you have ethernet I would suggest sticking with that as USB has been known to cause problems on installation now and then, ethernet will be easier to sort out for you.

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 12:33
Yeah, I'm sticking with Ethernet now, although I couldn't manage to connect with either. I've got a SACM, and I reset the modem ok. I used to have an NTL cable modem before so I know I have to be expected to reset it every other day... I'm running Windows XP. Just saw on another message board about a winsock and TCP fix, so i'm trying that now to see if any registry entries have become corrupted. I'll let you know the results. Cheers everyone.

Right, well, we've made a little progress! The installer now gets to the screen where I enter my surname and pin number, enter them all correctly as they appear on the letter I got during installation, click next, before getting the error message on the next screen "An error has occured while attempting to authenticate your account information". The information panel on the right said "We were unable to verify connectivity to the NTL network". I knew I shouldn't have got excited when I saw it get past the screen I was stuck on!

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 14:22
OK, so here's whats going on now. I was getting nowhere fast with the ethernet approach, so I switched to a USB installation. I ran that after repaiting my winsock and TCP/IP settings and it went ok. All my details were put in fine and it all seemed to work. Reset the computer, but then when I tried to connect to the Internet, it was having none of it. Broadband medic ran itself and it tells me that the following settings have failed: DHCP IP Assignment, Connection Test, Webpage Test, Default Homepage, ntlworld POP/SMTP/News Connectivity Test and E-Main Account Profiled. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, by the way, the second time I was asked to reboot the computer, Windows XP picked up my USB cable modem and tried to install it, but it said it couldn't find the drivers, and so its now in my device manager with a question mark next to it. Also, my USB connection isn't appearing in Network Connections, if that is significant?

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 16:11
i would presevere with ethernet personally,

Right click on the ! and remove the sacm and reinstall.

The drivers should be on the install cd

breadcrumbtrail
08-07-2005, 17:05
OK, i'll give the ethernet a shot. I will report back and say where I get to.

btw, the drivers for the USB modem on the CD apparently don't contain any information about the hardware, or so device manager tells me. I tried downloading the ones from the NTL website (for the NTL:250 model) but the link is broken!

Paul K
08-07-2005, 17:10
If you connect via ethernet to the SACM you don't need drivers for the SACM, you just need drivers for your ethernet connection.
What make and model PC is it.

breadcrumbtrail
09-07-2005, 09:48
I think its working now. I bit the bullet and phoned technical support, and the guy said to type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" into the run dialogue box, then reboot, and everything seemed ok. Not actually sure what it did, but i'm just walking around on eggshells now just glad i've got a connection!

Is there an IP address I can put into my browser to communicate directly with my modem? I'm not on a router and its an NTL:250 modem.

Cheers!

Paul K
09-07-2005, 09:57
Try 192.168.100.1
Password and user name root
DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS!!!!

breadcrumbtrail
09-07-2005, 10:29
:D I won't...

One more quick question. I like setting myself challenges... I'm on a laptop and my built=in ethernet adaptor is kinda broken - I have to hold the cable in at all times. So today, i'm going to get a PCMCIA ethernet card. Now, is it going to be as simple as plugging my ethernet cable into this and my PC picking it up? Or am I gonna have to reconfigure this existing connection to use the new card?

Paul K
09-07-2005, 10:52
If you have internet connection turned on then it should be fine, it might just see a new IP address for the laptop.