PDA

View Full Version : Road safety in Spain?

Paul K
08-07-2005, 10:57
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4658659.stm)

The northern Spanish town of Pamplona has taken novel measures to try to ensure the safety of participants in its annual bull-running festival.
The town's cobbled streets have been painted with a non-slip coating ahead of the first run on Thursday morning.
Organisers hope this will lessen the chance of bulls slipping and crushing runners against the crash barriers.
So allowing the bulls to keep their speed up and run without slipping it will help the stupid people running with them? Mmmmm lol

Pamplona's authorities believe that preventing the animals from slipping on the cobbles will make them less angry, and so less inclined to attack the runners.
Man I want to see a video of this years run ;)
The BBC's Katya Adler in Pamplona says overcrowding, not to mention excessive alcohol consumption, add to the risks for those involved, many of whom come from around the world.
Nah, too sensible that :p:

Julian
08-07-2005, 11:08
excessive alcohol consumption

I would have thought that without that there would be no runners.....

Jon M
08-07-2005, 11:14
If anyone has seen the footage of people being gored and killed during this "festival" they would condemn it on grounds of human safety let alone cruelty to the animals themselves.
There is no excuse for this to continue IMO.

(considering these poor animals are running down the streets, ultimately to their deaths in the ring)
Other bloodsports (foxhunting debate) aside, I'm totally against bullfighting, there are no redeeming aspects to it, it's purely a spectacle of death. Anyone that enjoys seeing an animal get killed or pays to watch it, has to be of questionable sanity. :mad:

Tuftus
08-07-2005, 11:17
Anyone stupid enough to allow themselves to be chased by a Bull and gets crushed / stabbed has IMO got it coming to them.

orangebird
08-07-2005, 11:17
If anyone has seen the footage of people being gored and killed during this "festival" they would condemn it on grounds of human safety let alone cruelty to the animals themselves.
There is no excuse for this to continue IMO.

I thnk it's great. A chance for the bulls to get their own back.

Jon M
08-07-2005, 11:22
I thnk it's great. A chance for the bulls to get their own back.seriously??

I doubt the bulls think of it like that.

iadom
08-07-2005, 11:30
Well it obviously didn't work Pamplona (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/08/wpamp08.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/08/ixworld.html)

go on Paul, show me you have already posted that news.:p: :)

Jules
08-07-2005, 11:30
The sooner it is banned the better!

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:39
Well it obviously didn't work Pamplona (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/08/wpamp08.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/08/ixworld.html)

go on Paul, show me you have already posted that news.:p: :)
How can I show you something I haven't posted? :( I posted a link to a story I saw on the BBC, since I don't visit the telegraph site I wouldn't have seen their report.

orangebird
08-07-2005, 11:43
seriously??

I doubt the bulls think of it like that.

It's not too bad tbh. My dad has run it a couple of times. I abhor bullfighting, so it's good to see the shoe on the other foot.

Jules
08-07-2005, 12:21
I have never been to Spain and I never will unless things change as I will not support an economy that tortures animals for there own sick pleasure

iadom
08-07-2005, 15:51
How can I show you something I haven't posted? :( I posted a link to a story I saw on the BBC, since I don't visit the telegraph site I wouldn't have seen their report.

Easy, I was only jesting, hence the second smiley.:Peaceman:

orangebird
08-07-2005, 16:07
I have never been to Spain and I never will unless things change as I will not support an economy that tortures animals for there own sick pleasure

Almost every country in the world has some cruel animal sport (inlcuding the UK). Admirable morals whyme38, but if you truly took that stance, you be moving to Chrtistmas Island...

Jules
08-07-2005, 16:19
I agree but times are changing, I believe it is Madrid that has banned bull fighting. Let us hope that the trend continues and the rest of the cruelty that they do in the name of festivals etc is also stopped

orangebird
08-07-2005, 16:22
I agree but times are changing, I believe it is Madrid that has banned bull fighting. Let us hope that the trend continues and the rest of the cruelty that they do in the name of festivals etc is also stopped

No, they haven't. It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens... :erm:

Chris
08-07-2005, 16:22
Almost every country in the world has some cruel animal sport (inlcuding the UK). Admirable morals whyme38, but if you truly took that stance, you be moving to Chrtistmas Island...

tsk! Human development of Christmas Island is destroying the habitat and migration routes of the indigenous Christmas Island Red Crab. I'd boycott it on principle. :p:

http://www.christmas.net.au/parks/crabs/index.htm

Angua
08-07-2005, 16:24
I thought road safety in Spain was a contradiction in terms!

orangebird
08-07-2005, 16:43
I thought road safety in Spain was a contradiction in terms!

Indeed it is! :LOL:

Paul K
08-07-2005, 17:40

Easy, I was only jesting, hence the second smiley.:Peaceman:
:p: I know, was just winding you up ;) Would have responded earlier but have been out shopping. JFYI though.... I was going to Google for a follow up story but forgot :disturbd: Must have had other things on my mind :erm: