PDA

View Full Version : [merged] Puppy

AndrewJ
08-07-2005, 01:09
My Gf's Dog Has A Broken Front Paw We Have Phoned The Vets But They Are Too Far Away For Taxi As We Are Skint.

The Addy They Have Given Us ( We Are In Rochdale ) Is

Worsley
Wardley Estate
Priestley Road

Can Anyone Get To Rochdale To Give My Gf And Her Puppy A Lift. Please I Would Not Ask If The Taxi Firm Refused To Help.

Anyone With A Vehicle....

Raistlin
08-07-2005, 01:10
Sorry mate. Can't be of any help to you :(

Will the vet not come to you? If they won't you could call the RSPCA, they might be able to help in cases like this.

Minbu
08-07-2005, 01:15
The PDSA should be able to help.

Raistlin
08-07-2005, 01:17
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=PDSA+Rochdale&spn=0.398556,1.296799&hl=en

Don't know if D or G are of any help?

Except Saxodriver has now gone offline.....guess he's getting it sorted?

Paul
08-07-2005, 01:19
I'm not sure it is a very wise idea asking people on a forum to pick-up your girlfriend.

AndrewJ
08-07-2005, 01:21
this is not a laughing matter she is heartbroken, we are broke and the taxi guy is being a ***** in short words.

Raistlin
08-07-2005, 01:26
this is not a laughing matter she is heartbroken, we are broke and the taxi guy is being a ***** in short words.

Sorry mate.

Did you try phoning the vet back and seeing if they can get someone out to you, or the RSPCA, or any of the PDSA people?

Jon M
08-07-2005, 01:26
this is not a laughing matter she is heartbroken, we are broke and the taxi guy is being a ***** in short words.On a purely practical level, unless the wound is open and bleeding, a break isn't life threatening.
It won't set overnight, so I'm sure a visit to the vet tomorrow daytime would be ok.

I know that sounds heartless, but you may be left without alternatives at this time of night.

I'm really sorry it's happened, I know what it's like to have a pet in distress. :(

AndrewJ
08-07-2005, 01:35
nothing just phoned about and everyone says leave it till morning our vets open at 9am but we are broke till about wednesday coming :(

Raistlin
08-07-2005, 01:39
nothing just phoned about and everyone says leave it till morning our vets open at 9am but we are broke till about wednesday coming :(

You'll probably find that most vets will be sympathetic and allow you to settle the bill next week.

I'm sure that there will be someone you know locally (perhaps a friend, or someone from work?) who can give you a lift to the vet's.

If I lived anywhere near you I would help, unfortunately it would take me many hours to get there.

AndrewJ
08-07-2005, 01:52
We are hoping our vets will give her mercy, for those who are not used to Sasha our lovely puppy ( writing this with a tear in my eye ) here she is as a attachment.

does anyone know roughly how much a front lower right paw break would cost to have fixed?

Seti
08-07-2005, 01:59
Awww pooor Sasha. When Zippy was 10 months old she broke her fron left leg. She is a LOT smaller than your Sasha but it cost me £200 to get fixed. The vets are pretty good now. If you can prove you are on benefits they will let you pay weekly or fortnightly. You havve to make the arrangement with them though.

Sasha won't die, she will just be in a bit of pain. Try giving her 1 paracetamol if you have any just to take the edge off. DO NOT give her ibrupofen or nurofen as they contain anti-inflammatories and the amounts in one tablet are dangerous to dogs. 1 paracetamol should not do her any harm.

Take her to the vets in the morning and don't worry she will be fine.

Sian

AndrewJ
08-07-2005, 02:13
Thanks Seti I hope the bill aint huge we are not on alot of money a relative has given us his card details to help pay for it, and we are paid on Wednesday, I would sell my tft laptop w/e is needed for her.

Jules
08-07-2005, 09:58
Awww she is lovely, any way i will keep my fingers crossed that it isn't broken and that she is ok soon...by the way if you are on benefits contact the RSPCA or the PDSA and see if they can help

andyl
08-07-2005, 10:05
Saxo,

That place in Worsley is a 24-hour private emergency practice so not likely to be cheap I'd guess. Think there's a PDSA place in Eccles just down the road from Worsley if you're not sorted and can get down there. BTW I believe vets have a statutory duty to treat animals in distress - if need be get her treated then worry about the money (or let them worry about it - any decent vet will take circs into account and give time to pay)

Chris
08-07-2005, 10:08
My Gf's Dog Has A Broken Front Paw We Have Phoned The Vets But They Are Too Far Away For Taxi As We Are Skint.

Worsley
Wardley Estate
Priestley Road

Can Anyone Get To Rochdale To Give My Gf And Her Puppy A Lift. Please I Would Not Ask If The Taxi Firm Refused To Help.

This might be a really stupid question but - don't you have a Saxo you can drive to the vet's?

Paul K
08-07-2005, 10:11

Worsley
Wardley Estate
Priestley Road

This might be a really stupid question but - don't you have a Saxo you can drive to the vet's?
IIRC he hasn't got a full license as he is learning to drive ;)

Chris
08-07-2005, 10:12
Ahh .... so maybe he could get a friend or neighbour with a full licence to accompany him? It would be cheaper than a taxi if he can drive himself, and probably easier to arrange than looking for someone else with a car.

Paul K
08-07-2005, 10:14
Wonder if he bought the dog training sled he was looking at, wouldn't need the car then ;)
*sorry, couldn't help it lol *

Halcyon
08-07-2005, 11:26
Good lokk in getting it sorted out Andrew.
Any updates ? How is she doing ?

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 07:17
Well my girlfriend has left to go collect my puppy from the RSPCA in Salford, cost us about £100 but having her microchipped and having a pink cast put on for her ladyship ( Sasha )

Thanks all for your good advice in my other thread, it helped alot in a time of crisis here with something which I and my girlfriend have not experienced before, was great to know we have a great collection of minds here :)

:tu: to you all.

( for those who may be wondering what happened, Sasha broke her front paw and she is an 3month old Samoyed puppy )

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 10:35
Some images of her before she broke her paw.

Also she is off today to a puppy parlor to have her nails done, and a nice coat wash, the lady giving her the pampering is a Samoyed Champion owner and a great friend of ours so Sasha should look her best when I see her again.

makikomi
09-07-2005, 11:35
Wow! She is gorgeous! :D

Hope she recovers quickly.

Good on you for having her microchipped!

Halcyon
09-07-2005, 11:49
I bet you are pleased that she is coming home.
Good luck to you all and I hope she has made a full recovery.
Lovely pics.

Nidge
09-07-2005, 12:18
She looks one hell of a nice dog.

Jules
09-07-2005, 12:30
Glad you got it sorted out :)

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 14:46
Shes home now pictures to come soon, shes been in Asda and been the show dog there all day everyone loving her.

All is well she come in other dogs happy to see her but we are seperating her from the older Samoyed as shes weak right now and he is a heffalump at best of times.

So shes eaten drank, and is very much suited with her cast, getting some pink ribbon for her next cast ( in 3days )

Raistlin
09-07-2005, 14:47
Do Samoyeds lose any of their fluffiness as they get older?

dilli-theclaw
09-07-2005, 14:48

I know where thay can get a load of wool to replace their coats if they do ;):)

Raistlin
09-07-2005, 14:49
I know where thay can get a load of wool to replace their coats if they do ;):)

Don't think they need jumpers.

Was just wondering if that's puppy fur or if Samoyeds keep that type of coat for life?

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 15:12

Very little, although they do malt ALOT, even in winter, grooming our older one can take a hour per day twice a day.

:) but there uniqueness and charm is more then worth the time consumption.

Don't think they need jumpers.

Was just wondering if that's puppy fur or if Samoyeds keep that type of coat for life?

Yes it is there coat for life the older dog ( see shot here of my older dog ) is at full coat, the puppys head is still growing all its fur right now.

Raistlin
09-07-2005, 15:44
Ahhh. Thanks for that.

Halcyon
09-07-2005, 15:45
So how many dogs do you have in all ?

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 15:47
So how many dogs do you have in all ?

We have three dogs and one cat.

Two Samoyed's and One Jack Russel.

Halcyon
09-07-2005, 16:17
Thats cool. Must cost loads to care for them thuogh.
My friend has a jack russel. Lovely little dogs.

ellie
09-07-2005, 22:38
Aww your puppy is adorable. Real glad she's on the mend https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 22:54
Tonight and last night picture, the first picture is of last night and shows her damaged paw the others show her tonight, the little minx who thinks she can have anything she wants now by showing her damaged paw to us. :D Just lovely to see she is on the mend and back to her cheeky self.

Myself and my gf have been up all last night making a safe area for her, and the night before caring for her damaged leg.

ellie
09-07-2005, 23:03
Aww she looks sooo cute, she's a lucky puppy to have both of you caring for her so well https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif

AndrewJ
09-07-2005, 23:10
It is hardwork and her being a puppy makes it harder as she has no understanding of howcome it hurts when she moves, so someone has to keep a eye on her 24/7 so we are in shifts right now to make sure she stays safe and not catch her cast in anything.

Halcyon
10-07-2005, 11:15
Definately does sound like hard work.
Best of luck to the both of you and I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Lord Nikon
10-07-2005, 13:37
May I suggest you take a look at This (http://www.lloydstsbpetinsurance.co.uk/Default.aspx?webRefer=MP163&Promotion=GOOGLE) website?

From what I remember this isn't the first time you have had a problem with the samoyeds and both times you had the problem of no transport / no money.

For the dogs' sake get some pet insurance, it's cheaper than having to fork out for the bills when something happens.

Jules
10-07-2005, 14:17
Pet insurance can be a good idea but it also can be a waste of money. I have 2 rescue dogs both 14 years old now (bless) one of them I got at 9 weeks old and the other the vet guessed was about 1 year-18 months old when I got her. The first one had to have an operation about 2 years ago that cost £100 and the second one has had one lot of vets treatment that cost £18, so in my case I would have paid a hell of a lot in insurance and got nothing back.

The dog I had before these 2 needed £60 of treatment for a heart problem when she was 10 that sadly she didn't survive.

I am not saying that insurance is a bad idea, just that it is some thing that needs to be thought about

Paul
10-07-2005, 15:03
The whole point of insurance is that you [only] may need it. Just as with car/house/contents insurance. :)

Jules
10-07-2005, 15:04
I agree I was just pointing out that you need to look at both sides of it :)

Lord Nikon
10-07-2005, 23:39
My point is that he has had a couple of problems so far with the samoyeds, each time he claims he hasn't the money for their care, if he had insurance then it would have covered the costs. If you can afford a pedigree animal then surely you should be able to look after it, in this case it would seem that insurance wouldn't be a bad thing.

Jules
11-07-2005, 09:11
Very true Lord Nikon, there are cases were it is needed and this may be one of them. I guess I have just been lucky with my girls

AndrewJ
11-07-2005, 09:52
We have insurance sorted out, but funny enough we have to wait 2week, and when Sashas accident occured we was 8hours into the 2week.

orangebird
11-07-2005, 10:02
My point is that he has had a couple of problems so far with the samoyeds, each time he claims he hasn't the money for their care, if he had insurance then it would have covered the costs. If you can afford a pedigree animal then surely you should be able to look after it, in this case it would seem that insurance wouldn't be a bad thing.

The most sensible post in this thread. :clap:

Chris
11-07-2005, 10:56
We have insurance sorted out, but funny enough we have to wait 2week, and when Sashas accident occured we was 8hours into the 2week.

The two week delay is to stop you taking out the policy in order to pay for an illness or injury the animal already has. RAC do the same thing when you take out breakdown cover.

AndrewJ
11-07-2005, 10:59
The most sensible post in this thread. :clap:

:dozey:

I have already mentioned why we could not use the insurance. :)

orangebird
11-07-2005, 11:12
:dozey:

I have already mentioned why we could not use the insurance. :)

Why didn't you insure the puppy as soon as you got it? :dozey:

STONEISLAND
11-07-2005, 11:14

I insureed mine as soon as I got my dog. One of the first things to do.

Halcyon
11-07-2005, 11:18
That dog of yours Skunk4u is pretty lively, dancing around in your sig.
:)

I definately also suggest pet insurance as vet bills can be so high, as you have seen. Its good you have it now.

AndrewJ
11-07-2005, 12:03

We did.

But thanks to a cock up at there end we had to reapply, if you want proof I am sure I have the letter back and the phone calls.

In the end I could not be bothered argueing the toss and paid out and sold my laptop to pay for her surgery.

Can a mod lock this thread please as I feel its run its course and i do not need nitpicking on when and how i should buy insurance for my pets.

I thank everyone for there help and concern it was muchly needed in a time of need.

Chris
11-07-2005, 12:06
Your wish is my command ... ;)

Hope all goes well with the treatment.

Closed.