PDA

View Full Version : how to set up sharing within wireless lan?

frank.lui
07-07-2005, 22:00
Can any one give an advice of how to set up sharing within wireless lan?
My laptop is connected to desktop through wireless router. I want to use printer cabled to destop and possibly CD-ROM of desktop because the CDROM of laptop has problem. I named the laptop the same workgroup as destop but they cannot see each other. Anyone give a tip or weblink? THANKS!

nffc
07-07-2005, 22:03
Make sure they're in the same workgroup/domain and all firewalls on the LAN are either off or allowing local traffic...

If it's still not working and all firewalls (inc the Windows one) on the PCs are off post back :)

Ramrod
07-07-2005, 22:05
Set up 'file and printer sharing' on both machines...........

Aragorn
07-07-2005, 22:58
Stuart's guide here is a good start : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16565

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2005, 00:05
Don't know what brand of wireless kit you have.

The linksys stuff talks of two types of setup in their user guide, "infrastructure" and "ad-hoc". Infrastructure is the setup needed for a proper network where PCs on the network can data share if one is on a wired connection to the router (I suspect your desktop) and others are wireless.

You might need to check the user guide on your networking kit for similar options.

frank.lui
09-07-2005, 21:36
Thanks a lot to all you guys. Following the links and your advices, the sharing is ok. But I still can not do what I want.
I want to use the CDROM of desktop to reinstall office 2000 into my laptop. The CDROM of laptop refused to read the CD recently. I can see all contents of office CD in desktop CDROM from laptop. But when I tried to run setup, it refuse to do that. I am not sure this is because of office CD or something to do with sharing setup.

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2005, 21:47
I'd suspect you will have problems with that. I dunno but M$ are probably clever enough to know you are trying to install across a network, rather than a local drive.

All I can suggest is that you make sure your lappy's user account has as full a set of permissions of use as possible to the desktop.

The speed of data transfer via wireless may also be an issue - could possibly be too slow compared to expectations of the setup routine.

frank.lui
10-07-2005, 11:15
Thanks MovedGoalPoast, that is a good point. The reason I want to try that is I used to watched IT guy in my company did the same thing to repair mt work computer (reinstall something of microsoft from server achieve). I will try to use cable connection between laptop and router to see what happen. CHEERS

Aragorn
10-07-2005, 11:57
You could copy the contents of the CD onto your laptop and try the install from there.

JohnHorb
10-07-2005, 12:04
I think some installs will only work from a mapped drive (e.g. Z: , not from a network path (e.g. \\laptop1\laptopcd (file://laptop1/laptopcd))

nffc
10-07-2005, 19:07
Clone the CD to an image file, share the folder of the image file, and then use an image reader to mount the network file as a drive...