PDA

View Full Version : Back from the dead..........

Shaun
02-10-2003, 22:12
but for how long, will you pay??

http://www.napster.com/bits/

:dmonk:

Martin
02-10-2003, 23:22
I got an email about Napster coming back, not bothered myself.

Shaun
03-10-2003, 15:54
I got an email about Napster coming back, not bothered myself.

Me neither, I really don;t see people paying for stuff they can get for free. I also really cant see how it can be harming the industry as much as they say, the figures they have quoted in the past have been proven to be wrong. I'm not saying that I think it's right to d/l for free, but people aren't going to pay voluntarily. :(

Stuart
03-10-2003, 17:12
I don't think Napster will have much of an impact now. If it had been the first subscription service launched, it might, but the world and his wfe (well, Microsoft, Freeserve, Tower Records, HMV and countless others) have got there first.

I also think that Dell is right in that piracy is not the only thing to blame for the current music sales. I have read that the current sales are at the level they were in 1992 (which admittedly was a bad year), but the record companies didn't have the Internet to blame then.

I think the main blame for reduced sales has to lie with all the manufactured bands there are now.

Ramrod
03-10-2003, 18:56
I think the main blame for reduced sales has to lie with all the manufactured bands there are now.
Hear hear! :D

Chris
03-10-2003, 19:02
I think the record labels should be looking a little closer to home for someone to blame for falling sales. The amount of manufactured tat in the charts at the moment is appalling.

Atomic22
03-10-2003, 19:07
its not the crap manufactured bands that anyone downloads and "rips off" though is it?
the people doing all the moaning are the fat cat artists with all the multi millions that think charging £13 for a 16p cd , a 15p jewel case , 3p worth of ink and a 6p inlay card is ok and the cd buying public of the world will not feel "ripped off"
the freebies downloaded with kazaa are payback for all the overpriced cds they have made the public buy until the advent of broadband.

MadGamer
03-10-2003, 23:11
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: i would rather buy cd's
:rolleyes:

Stuart
03-10-2003, 23:29
its not the crap manufactured bands that anyone downloads and "rips off" though is it?
the people doing all the moaning are the fat cat artists with all the multi millions that think charging £13 for a 16p cd , a 15p jewel case , 3p worth of ink and a 6p inlay card is ok and the cd buying public of the world will not feel "ripped off"
the freebies downloaded with kazaa are payback for all the overpriced cds they have made the public buy until the advent of broadband.
Without meaning to go too far off topic, although CD's are overpriced, you are paying for a bit more than just the disc. You are paying for the efforts of all the people involved in the production of that disc, from the writer & singer/group, through all the various studio employees, managers, PR, people involved in the manufacturer of the CD, the warehousing people and the shop selling it to you. There are a lot of people that each get a (small) share of the price of a CD.

Maggy
04-10-2003, 00:36
Without meaning to go too far off topic, although CD's are overpriced, you are paying for a bit more than just the disc. You are paying for the efforts of all the people involved in the production of that disc, from the writer & singer/group, through all the various studio employees, managers, PR, people involved in the manufacturer of the CD, the warehousing people and the shop selling it to you. There are a lot of people that each get a (small) share of the price of a CD.

I don't download music off the internet because if I like a band,artist or a record I reckon that the musicians deserve to get the royalties they deserve as a reward for producing the music.However I don't see why I should line the pockets of the fat cats of Sony and EMI.
So I would like to pay to download music from bands I like for a reasonable price,with the proviso that all the money I pay goes to that particular band.

I think this does sound reasonable.

Incog.

Stuart
04-10-2003, 01:16
I don't download music off the internet because if I like a band,artist or a record I reckon that the musicians deserve to get the royalties they deserve as a reward for producing the music.However I don't see why I should line the pockets of the fat cats of Sony and EMI.
So I would like to pay to download music from bands I like for a reasonable price,with the proviso that all the money I pay goes to that particular band.

I think this does sound reasonable.

Incog.
Fair enough. I do this as well. I was just making a point that when Jo Soap goes into HMV (or whatever record store) and pays his/her £15, they are paying for a bit more than the duplication of the disk.

Shaun
04-10-2003, 10:32
Fair enough. I do this as well. I was just making a point that when Jo Soap goes into HMV (or whatever record store) and pays his/her £15, they are paying for a bit more than the duplication of the disk.

The thing is Stu, when so many million Cd's are sold everyday, it soon mounts up :(

Personally I still buy Cd's as I used to, but I download music I would never consider spending 15 quid on. This way I'm not bringing down the music industry, but I can listen to music I'd never considered before, classical, or Rock for example.

cjll3
04-10-2003, 11:12

Urm, the majority of the money goes to the fat cats of Sony and EMI. The fact is that the retailer gets most of the money from a sale, and it's the retailers not the music companies that have most to lose from p2p networks and electronic distribution.

Atomic22
04-10-2003, 20:23
Urm, the majority of the money goes to the fat cats of Sony and EMI. The fact is that the retailer gets most of the money from a sale, and it's the retailers not the music companies that have most to lose from p2p networks and electronic distribution.

the fat cats at the record companies have just halved the price of cds in the states to combat losses in sales to the internet......if they can make money charging $7 a cd instead of $14 a cd it just proves they have been ripping the public off for ages and its about time their crimes were avenged...
as corporal jones used to say "they don't like it up em"

Bill Payer
04-10-2003, 21:24
If I buy a CD the chances are it'll be reissued,in a few months,with additional tracks.
Then it'll be issued in 5:1 sound in either SACD or DVDA.
I think I'll continue downloading until I decide which format to go for.

Stuart
05-10-2003, 16:15
The thing is Stu, when so many million Cd's are sold everyday, it soon mounts up :(

Personally I still buy Cd's as I used to, but I download music I would never consider spending 15 quid on. This way I'm not bringing down the music industry, but I can listen to music I'd never considered before, classical, or Rock for example.
True, it does, and even though it may cost thousands to record an album (taking into account all of the stuff I stated above, it is likely to be thousands of pounds), then the costs will be recovered within the first few thousand CDs sold. I was just making the point that there are other costs than the cost of printing and duplication to consider.