PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about broadband sharing

kbcs6dpm
07-07-2005, 13:37
Hi. I am a broadband newbie, so be gentle. Apologies if this has been covered a thousand times before.

Basically i have 1Mb broadband connected to my pc via ethernet using an NTL 250 cable modem. All works fine.

However, my brother wants to use his laptop to connect to my broadband service as well. Can this be done?

He only wants to use it for a few days, as he has problems getting to/from work after the incidents in London today. (He wants to log into his work's VPN via broadband.)

He has a network port in his laptop. We will not need to use the PC and laptop at the same time.

So can i just unplug the cable modem from my PC and plug it into the laptop and we're away? Or is there something more?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Raistlin
07-07-2005, 13:39
You will need to Turn the modem off.
Turn the Laptop off
Plug it all in
Turn the modem on and leave it for the lights to settle
Turn the Laptop on
Hopefully that should get it working.

You might need to fiddle with the network settings on the laptop, hopefully not though.

Jon M
07-07-2005, 14:08
You will need to Turn the modem off.
Turn the Laptop off
Plug it all in
Turn the modem on and leave it for the lights to settle
Turn the Laptop on
Hopefully that should get it working.

You might need to fiddle with the network settings on the laptop, hopefully not though.AFAIK, he may need to manually set the DNS servers*. (mine are 192.168.4(& 8).100 or something similar)

*Unsure, as I run on a static IP behind a router, DHCP allocation from the modem itself may cover this.