PDA

View Full Version : Can I take over a previous owner's account?

Swiss Tony
07-07-2005, 09:17
We have just moved into a flat , when contacting Telewest to arrange broadband connection they told me that the account is still live. I contacted the landlords agent ( he's a football player ) and he told me I can use the broadband/tv as part of the flat. The problom is the cable modem/settop box etc was put into storage when the football player moved clubs.

I have contacted telewest but they seem to want me cancel his account and set my own up, as I can use his for free and with his consent is there any way round this? could I buy a second hand cable modem ?? would I need passwords etc to set up?? and what about the TV package could I buy a settop box and just plug and play or does this need setting up by Telewest?

Thanks
Swiss

dilli-theclaw
07-07-2005, 09:20
If it's the same as NTL then both the set-top box and the modem will be the property of telewest. So you won't be able to buy them (legitimately at least) from another source.

I'd say that the only thing you can do is get the owner to get them out of storage.

Dilli.

edit - I forgot to say welcome to the site.... :D:welcome::welcome:

Swiss Tony
07-07-2005, 09:24
Thanks for the quick reply, The problem is getting hold of the guy is a nightmare. last time took 12 weeks to cancel his gas account!

seems a shame to pay if he's agreed to let us use it for free

dilli-theclaw
07-07-2005, 09:27
Thanks for the quick reply, The problem is getting hold of the guy is a nightmare. last time took 12 weeks to cancel his gas account!

The trouble is you're going to have to contact him either way, even if you do end up having to cancel the account and getting it yourself. Telewest aren't likely to disciss his account with you.

Sorry I can't give you more positive news.

Maybe someone more clued up to telewest will pop along with another suggestion.

Chris
07-07-2005, 09:57
:welcome: to Cable Forum, Swiss. I've edited your thread title as you will get a better response if people can see what the thread is about before deciding whether to click on it.

nn012
07-07-2005, 10:27

There will be a minimum 90 day waiting period after the previous customer has disconnected and for you, as a new telewest customer at the same property, to get connected with telewest services.

thedazstar
07-07-2005, 17:18
There will be a minimum 90 day waiting period after the previous customer has disconnected and for you, as a new telewest customer at the same property, to get connected with telewest services.

This is totally wrong. As soon as the exsiting customer has had his account closed by the movers department you can book a fresh install with the sales team to get your services booked on if the account is closed. You do not have to wait 90 days before u can be installed. The 90 day rule applies to exsisting customers who cancel and try to be reinstalled within this time. If they do they are not entitled to any new customer offers