PDA

View Full Version : Cant install ntl bband and now pc won't work!!

kblt1
06-07-2005, 16:48
Hi

I'm having real problems please help.

The guy came and installed the broadband, I popped in the disc followed all the instructions and then came to a screen where it asked for a pin number. I rang the tech support line and explained I didn't have a pin number and they said customer services hadn't set it up properly and as it was 5.10pm on a Saturday I would have to wait til Monday morning so I switched the pc off.

Got the pin number and attempted to carry on the install.........turned on my pc and errors started popping up all over the place 'internet explorer has caused an error in <unknown>' and backweb 723*** has caused an error. The pc kept crashing I tried booting it with the disc in and out if i left it out it said 'NTL Broadband reboot helper' please insert disc to carry on with install ....and the screen would just hang so I had no choice but to boot with the disc in or the pc wouldnt work at all.

On the few occasions I have managed to get into the pc and close the errors and tried installing again but the disc will never go past the 'ntl is now installing your software please wait' and wait and wait it doesn't crash the animated circles keep moving but it doesn't go anywhere.

I tried the tech support number and spoke to 3 different guys in india none of which could help - one said call us back when your pc is on, one said turn it off for 10 minutes then turn it back on i'm 100% sure it will work next time!!!!(just to get rid of me) and one kept saying 'contact your vendor'. I demanded an engineer back as i explianed it has worked perfectly well for 2 years on dial up and it's the silly ntl disc that has b*ggered it up but they said it's not their fault.

They tried to talk me through manually setting it up on the autoregister page but even though all the right lights are flashing on the modem and the usb is connected it just says 'page cannot be displayed.'

The pc runs Windows ME 400mhz processor, 128 ram.

Please help!!!

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 16:52
Ok, firstly :welcome: to Cable Forum

Secondly do you have a network port in the back of your PC?
If you do, it might be worth trying to get that set up for you rather than having you continue with the USB connection. The NTL software supplied on the disc is only really there to allow you to connect via USB, and it's a bit flakey (as you've already discovered).

Before we try that though.....

Turn everything off.
Turn the modem on and let the lights settle, turn your PC on and let the lights settle.

Is it working now?

If not, do you have a firewall installed that could be causing problems?

kblt1
06-07-2005, 16:53
Hi Thanks for the quic reply! No I dont have a network port unfortunately.

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 16:58
Ok, did you try the second bit of my post?

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:01
The backweb entry is interesting but I'm thinking it may be linked to the NTL software which doesn't seem to have installed correctly. Have you tried removing the NTL software through the add/ remove programs link in Control Panel?

You don't really need the software on the CD, just the drivers, you can get away with not loading the software onto the PC. As you have found out, it doesn't always play nicely. AV, anti-spyware and firewalls can cause issues if they are running when you install the software and drivers.

nffc
06-07-2005, 17:10
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:16
Ok, did you try the second bit of my post?

Yes I tried it last night but it didn't make a difference.:(

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin....s/basicset.html (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin....s/basicset.html)

nffc this link doesn't work :(

The backweb entry is interesting but I'm thinking it may be linked to the NTL software which doesn't seem to have installed correctly. Have you tried removing the NTL software through the add/ remove programs link in Control Panel?

You don't really need the software on the CD, just the drivers, you can get away with not loading the software onto the PC. As you have found out, it doesn't always play nicely. AV, anti-spyware and firewalls can cause issues if they are running when you install the software and drivers.

Hi Paul
I've tried the software remove but the files aren't there in add/remove
How do you connect without the cd? Are the drivers on the cd?

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:18
Think he was pointing here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html

Hi Paul
I've tried the software remove but the files aren't there in add/remove
How do you connect without the cd? Are the drivers on the cd?
Yep drivers are on the CD. You should be able to just turn off the PC, unplug usb device, reboot PC, put CD in CDROM drive, close screen that comes up (if any), plug in USB, tell Windows ME to look in the CDROM drive for drivers when it asks.

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:22
that link won't work the work server must be blocking it :td:

Yep drivers are on the CD. You should be able to just turn off the PC, unplug usb device, reboot PC, put CD in CDROM drive, close screen that comes up (if any), plug in USB, tell Windows ME to look in the CDROM drive for drivers when it asks.[/QUOTE]

The problem is it will crash before it even gets to that stage most likely and also i've tried plugging in the usb without the disc and it says found new hardware then hardware installed and doesn't ask for any drivers.

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:24
The problem is it will crash before it even gets to that stage most likely and also i've tried plugging in the usb without the disc and it says found new hardware then hardware installed and doesn't ask for any drivers.
Sounds like the installer has written the drivers to the System folder and ME thinks it has the drivers it needs.
Are you connecting to a set top box or Stand alone cable modem?

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:26
Stand alone cable modem

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:26
Any idea which one?

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 17:27
Can you try something for me? Long shot.....

Open Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
Click on the tab Connections to bring it to the front.
Check Never dial a connection.
Click on button LAN Settings...

UNcheck Automatically detect settings (unchecking this speeds up IE launches).
UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
UNcheck Use a proxy server (unless you want an explicit setting (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#sidestep)).
Click OK to exit Local Area Network settings.

Click OK to exit Internet Options.

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:28
Can you look here
http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/select_modem.php
and tell us which modem it is?

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:29
It's a small purple one - sorry i'm an idiot!!! i'll try a few things suggested when i get home and post back tomorrow morning, along with the model of the modem!!!! thanks Paul.

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:29
No rush, we'll be here tomorrow lol.

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 17:30
This one?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/23.gif

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:33
it's the ntl 250

Paul K
06-07-2005, 17:34
Shame the drivers links from the ntlworld page are still stuffed.
Is the correct driver listed on here?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/triage/drivers/

kblt1
06-07-2005, 17:36
This one?

http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/images/modem_250_select.gif

yes

kblt1
07-07-2005, 10:03
Hi,

Well after several hours messing about last night I worked out the 'Tiscali Web Accelerator' was causing the errors and the crashing, so uninstalled that and everything started working fine again. Rang the helpline and they talked me through everything, uninstalled the modem as the ME drivers were installed and not the ones on the disc so reinstalled it with the ones on the disc and all that was then :confused: configured properly.

Then we tried to go to the IP address 80.5.178.26 to register for ntl services but it kept saying 'page cannot be displayed' or a window would pop up saying 'internet explorer could not open the search page' also tried http://autoreg.autoregister.net (http://autoreg.autoregister.net/) but that just said page cannot be displayed.

The woman on the ntl helpline talked me through 'pinging' the IP address 80.5.178.26 and that was all working fine so she said my pc must be blocking secured websites and something about SSL and I'd have to sort it out myself.

So just as I though it was all ok......it's not!!!

I tried messing about with internet explorer options and enabling more or less everything but it still wouldn't work.

What do I do now????? :confused:

Paul K
07-07-2005, 10:07
Any firewalls running?

kblt1
07-07-2005, 10:08
Hi Paul

No

Paul K
07-07-2005, 10:12
Have you checked your settings in Internet Explorer to make sure you are no longer using any old dial up or other settings (tiscali)?

kblt1
07-07-2005, 10:14
Yes I've clicked never dial an internet connection and removed the tiscali dial up account and clicked on LAN automatically detect settings.

Monserrat
07-07-2005, 10:26
As a temporary fix, try and get a copy of Mozilla or Firefox off somone. I used Mozilla to register myself on NTL back in late 2002. Once connected and registered, run all of the possible Windows Updates and SP2 (if you're running on XP) and then switch back to IE. Service Pack 2 does a massive update on IE, so it might be able to fix your problem.

Paul K
07-07-2005, 10:27
Are there any settings in the Lan settings area that may be interfering?
Have you checked in Internet Explorer wether anything is set in the security settings? Maybe drop them to their default settings for now?

kblt1
07-07-2005, 10:51
As a temporary fix, try and get a copy of Mozilla or Firefox off somone. I used Mozilla to register myself on NTL back in late 2002. Once connected and registered, run all of the possible Windows Updates and SP2 (if you're running on XP) and then switch back to IE. Service Pack 2 does a massive update on IE, so it might be able to fix your problem.

It's windows ME but i will try that thanks

Are there any settings in the Lan settings area that may be interfering?
Have you checked in Internet Explorer wether anything is set in the security settings? Maybe drop them to their default settings for now?

I've checked IE and restored all defaults, I don't know what I'm looking for in LAN settings, under the advanced tab (i think it was in there) there were 5 boxes or so with 5 smaller boxes to the right all were empty except the first one had 127.0.0.1 in the first box and 5400 in the box to the right of it.

Paul K
07-07-2005, 10:55
Clear all boxes on that page just in case.

kblt1
07-07-2005, 12:49
If I buy something like this 'D Link DFE-530TX 10/100Mbps PCI Ethernet Adapter Card' and install it and hook up via ethernet will it make a difference?

Paul K
07-07-2005, 12:55
Only if it's a problem with the USB side of the connection, if it's a browser setting or corruption then probably not. The fact that you can ping addresses would point to the connection being ok but the browser not allowing pages to load. have you tried putting the autoreg site address into your trusted sites list?

kblt1
07-07-2005, 14:24
Only if it's a problem with the USB side of the connection, if it's a browser setting or corruption then probably not. The fact that you can ping addresses would point to the connection being ok but the browser not allowing pages to load. have you tried putting the autoreg site address into your trusted sites list?

Hi I've tried adding that address, i've tried allsorts suggested on the web such as repairing IE, checking time and date, clearing history, cookies etc, i've unistalled all the tiscali dial up stuff, registered softpub.dll successfully but nothing works.

I will try the firefox thing i've downloaded it to work pc and have a flash drive i can take it home on.

The box i was talking about with the numbers in was actually in proxy settings which isnt ticked i'm sure thats right isnt it? it's just got automatically detect LAN settings ticked and everything else is greyed out.

Will reinstalling IE do any good?

Paul K
07-07-2005, 14:26
May help if there is a problem with it, personally I would be close to re-installing Windows by now to get rid of any rubbish left behind by the failed installs etc ;)

kblt1
08-07-2005, 09:39
AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!

Tried reinstalling IE6 then IE 5.5 and also firefox, nothing worked.

When I put the code 80.5.178.26 into the address bar (on IE) the page remains blank, a box pops up saying 'windows explorer could not open the search page' and the bottom bar displays 'res://c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm'

Tried pinging the 80.5.178.26 again it says request timed out and 0% received but that seemed to be working fine day before yesterday. :mad:

Paul K
08-07-2005, 10:13
Have you got your Windows CD handy? I'd have re-installed Windows by now lol.
That IP is timing out here so may not be active or correct. Try
ping www.bbc.co.uk

Monserrat
08-07-2005, 11:12
I wouldn't try pinging BBC. People are flocking to that site now because of the London bombings, so you'll likely to get less-than-average results.

With Ping, it's best to do ping www.google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk)

Paul K
08-07-2005, 11:14
He is only pinging to see if he can get any data to and from the network. It's not a test to see if he's got speed problems etc.

kblt1
20-07-2005, 10:13
Sorted it! Downloaded a programme that fixes winsock errors from here http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html it worked straight away after that and I registered with no problems.

Thanks for all your help. :)