PDA

View Full Version : Scotland & The Highlands - Tips ?

skyblueheroes
06-07-2005, 07:34
I'm off to Scotland on Sat for a week to a place called Carrbridge, which is a couple of miles north of Aviemore and about 15 miles south of Inverness.

Anyone got any ideas for things to do - little gems which we can do whilst up there ?

I've heard about the place a little north of Inverness where the rigs are towed to, and the spot you can see dolphins, plus of course Nessie.

Any others ?

allieyoung666
06-07-2005, 08:08
There is lots of distileries, theres the maritime museum at Inverness. If you stop at gretna green on the way there is loads of leaflets near the loos!!!! Theres the locks as well. If you need any info PM me and I send you the stuff as I still have it as we were only there in May!

homealone
06-07-2005, 08:13
All around that area is great for sightseeing, check out the funicular railway going up Cairngorm for some great views. Loch Inch is good for watersports. The Rothiemurchus Estate is a vast area of managed country estate, where you can do walking, cycling, fishing etc. There is also a nearby RSPB site with an Osprey nest on view.

Inverness is a nice town for a day shopping & maybe a boat trip - either out to try & see dolphins, or along the Caledonian Canal to Loch Ness.

For great fish & chips, go to Grantown on Spey & check out Smithy's.

Of course there is also the distillery tours, the various visitor centres and Aviemore centre, itself, for more 'touristy' stuff. :)

<edit> thought of a few more things - once you get there, there are quite a lot of places that do activities like quad bike excursions, off road driving, horse riding, clay pidgeon shooting & gliding (if you can afford it). Also there is a steam train that shunts between Aviemore & Boat of Garten (where the osprey centre is) - you can book to have dinner on the train, or even during the day have a 'wee dram' at the bar.

Near Kingussie is the 'Highland Wildlife Park', which is ok, a little bit sparse of things to do, but good chance to see Pine Martens & Wildcats, for example. Also (allegedly) the Grouse which does the Famous Grouse adverts.

skyblueheroes
06-07-2005, 13:38
Thanks for replies. Looks like we won't be short of things to do !

Nemesis
06-07-2005, 13:47
Rollin' rollin' rollin' keep them wagons rollin' Rawhide ;) :D

Tuftus
06-07-2005, 13:50
Insect repellant is always a wise plan, I got eaten alive by midges last year when I went to Oban...

homealone
06-07-2005, 13:58
Thanks for replies. Looks like we won't be short of things to do !

absolutely, we have stayed in Aviemore on a number of occasions & usually come away with a list of stuff we must do, next time we go.

It depends on your interests, of course, I have a friend who goes there just to pursue his hobby of photography, but there is generally something for everyone.

Hope you have a great time :tu:

<edit> Good advice from tuftus about the midges :tu:

allieyoung666
06-07-2005, 14:00
There is so much to in Scotland, that is why we do keep going back there year after year, it is such an interesting part of the country to visit.

Chris
06-07-2005, 14:02
I'm off to Scotland on Sat for a week to a place called Carrbridge, which is a couple of miles north of Aviemore and about 15 miles south of Inverness.

Anyone got any ideas for things to do - little gems which we can do whilst up there ?

I've heard about the place a little north of Inverness where the rigs are towed to, and the spot you can see dolphins, plus of course Nessie.

Any others ?

The Landmark Centre: http://www.landmark-centre.co.uk/ is in Carrbridge and is a really good fun day out. It's worth it for the water slide alone (which you go on fully clothed!)

There is so much to in Scotland, that is why we do keep going back there year after year, it is such an interesting part of the country to visit.

Just a pity about the inhabitants, eh? You strike me as being more than a little hypocritical today Allie. :(

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 14:03
Just a pity about the inhabitants, eh? You strike me as being more than a little hypocritical today Allie. :(

Without meaning to sound funny or anything - was there really any need to drag an argument from one thread into this one?

allieyoung666
06-07-2005, 14:04
I didnt say that I talked to them now did I???

skyblueheroes
06-07-2005, 14:11
I'm taking my laptop and the hotel is wireless so I might update this thread with info and pictures.

Russ
06-07-2005, 14:11

Tip for you: leg it if you hear dualling banjos :D

skyblueheroes
06-07-2005, 16:10

:D

Chris
06-07-2005, 16:12

Or if you're approached by a naked, possibly drunk, camper (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=27)

:erm: :D

skyblueheroes
17-07-2005, 18:04
Well, got back on Sat and had a superb time. We clocked about 1500 miles in a week too which wasn't too bad.

We were in a little village called Carrbridge which is about 8 miles north of Aviemore and 23 miles south of Inverness on the A9. The village is superb, and the chalet/cabin thing we had booked was great.

We did Loch Ness, Fort Augutus, Inverness, Nairn (inc beach), Forres and some places on the Black Isle.

I would recommend that area to anyone, the scenery is fantastic, the people are friendly and there is loads to do.

The Landmark Centre: http://www.landmark-centre.co.uk/ is in Carrbridge and is a really good fun day out. It's worth it for the water slide alone (which you go on fully clothed!)

This place was about a minute walk away, but with doing everything else, we never got to go :p:

Maybe next time ;)

homealone
17-07-2005, 18:17
Well, got back on Sat and had a superb time. We clocked about 1500 miles in a week too which wasn't too bad.

We were in a little village called Carrbridge which is about 8 miles north of Aviemore and 23 miles south of Inverness on the A9. The village is superb, and the chalet/cabin thing we had booked was great.

We did Loch Ness, Fort Augutus, Inverness, Nairn (inc beach), Forres and some places on the Black Isle.

I would recommend that area to anyone, the scenery is fantastic, the people are friendly and there is loads to do.

This place was about a minute walk away, but with doing everything else, we never got to go :p:

Maybe next time ;)

thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed it, we were going to Aviemore this year, but plans changed at the last minute.

I was always amazed the piper didn't fall in the river off the old bridge

Download Failed (1)

skyblueheroes
17-07-2005, 19:37
thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed it, we were going to Aviemore this year, but plans changed at the last minute.

I was always amazed the piper didn't fall in the river off the old bridge

http://www.carrbridge.com/img/photo-Bridge-01.jpg

Nice pic :tu: