PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Cm Ethernet Port Not Working.

osmosis4
06-07-2005, 01:32
Hi

My PC was previously connected to a small home network. Each PC was joined to a wired Netgear broadband router via. Cat 5. Broadband was supplied through the interconnection of an NTL modem to the router.

Recently the network was no longer needed but I still required NTL internet. I uplugged my cat 5 cable from the router and plugged it directly into the ethernet port on the modem.

The modem was restarted. I attempted to go on the internet with the new set up, but no luck. I could not access the internet. I tried disabling my Norton firewall but had no effect.

My next idea was to unplug the ethernet cable and use the USB connection on the modem. Suprisingly this worked and I could use the internet.

But i'm still confused why this could not work with the ethernet connection.

I tried to assemble the previous network we had before - internet worked fine!! Tried direct connection (modem to pc) again - still does not work.

My PC running Win XP is set to obtain an IP address automatically. I have rebooted the modem and my pc several times. I am determined it is not the firewall's fault either. Lights on the modem are normal too.

I have tried a direct ethernet connection before but don't understand why this won't work this time.

Could anyone suggest anything please?

MovedGoalPosts
06-07-2005, 01:48
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Very odd, if your ethernet is set to get an Ip addy automatically, it should work.

You are of course completely switching off (no power) both the modem and PC before connecting it up direct. Have you tried a different cable, just in case the one you are using has something odd with it?

Maybe you could try the windoze internet connection wizard. Alternatively delete the existing internet connection / network drivers, reboot the PC and reload as prompted.

Halcyon
06-07-2005, 01:48
Hi, and Welcome to the forums :welcome:
Have you tried using a different ethernet cable or a different network card to see if it could be that ?
Could maybe be a problem with the IP address where releasing the IP and getting the PC to seek a new IP address may help.

ian@huth
06-07-2005, 09:56
Even though you don't need the network you might as well keep the router connected for the added protection it gives you. The cable modem ethernet port must be OK for the network to work so the problem lies with the computer setup or it could be that you are not rebooting the modem after altering the setup asw MGP suggested..

SMHarman
06-07-2005, 09:58
Could the cable being used be a crossover cable, though depending on the CM it should automatically fix this.

bayonet
06-07-2005, 12:20
Morning osmosis4 have you checked the IP address in the network connection or via the ms dos prompt when you have the ethernet cable connected and is the enet light on the modem when the cable is plugged in?

Simple questions maybe but it all helps.

osmosis4
06-07-2005, 14:22
Thanks for all your help guys!

I checked the IP settings for the ethernet connection. Although it was set to obtain an IP address automatically, below this the Default Gateway had an IP address assign to it (192.168.1.1 my router). I thought I clear it even though manual IP addressing wasn't selected.

After reselecting 'obtain IP address automatically' and rebooted CM - hey presto it worked! I am now able to use the internet directly from pc to to modem via. ethernet as intended. Caused alot of fustration and all it was was this default gateway!

Thanks again for those who replied.
osmosis4

homealone
06-07-2005, 18:18
Thanks for all your help guys!

I checked the IP settings for the ethernet connection. Although it was set to obtain an IP address automatically, below this the Default Gateway had an IP address assign to it (192.168.1.1 my router). I thought I clear it even though manual IP addressing wasn't selected.

After reselecting 'obtain IP address automatically' and rebooted CM - hey presto it worked! I am now able to use the internet directly from pc to to modem via. ethernet as intended. Caused alot of fustration and all it was was this default gateway!

Thanks again for those who replied.
osmosis4

thanks for the feedback - could help someone else solve a similar problem :tu: