PDA

View Full Version : Sweex router with Blueyonder

tomccoll
06-07-2005, 01:19
Hi, I'm new here, and in need of help!

I recently got 512K Broadband from Telewest/Blueyonder. It all works fine using a Motorola SB5100 cable modem.

I bought a Sweex LB000021 router in order to get my other computer connected to the internet (both computers are laptops) and have had big hassles trying to do so. The documentation and interface that come with the router are quite unclear, and blueyonder hasn't been very helpful. Does anyone know what I have to do to get it all running and what type of connection / host names etc I need to input on the router interface?

Thanks!

Tom

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 01:22
Have you tried just:

Turn everything off
Connect it all up
Turn modem on and leave for lights to settle
Turn router on and leave lights to settle
Turn PC on

?

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way :)

tomccoll
06-07-2005, 01:51
Yup, maybe I wasn't patient enough though, will give that another try...

Ok, tried all that, still same problem. I spent most of last night and tonight trying to fix it. I'm quite new to networking, so I don't know much about the terminology.

The interface mentions registering a MAC address with your ISP, but when I go to my blueyonder area online, it says you don't need to do this. Really I just want to check what details incl gateway ip addresses, mac addresses, hosts etc I need to input, cos I'm guessing as I've been given very little info from blueyonder or this router.

Cheers

Tom

Halcyon
06-07-2005, 01:59
If you are connecting via DHCP then you do not need to do this.
Have you made sure you have the correct ethernet cables (straight Ethernet) going from the laptops to the routers and that they are connected to the correct ports.
Try disabling your firewall if you have one running to see if it is blocking any ports.
Also, check in Internet connection options that you have it set to never dial a connection, and detect settings automatically.

tomccoll
06-07-2005, 03:01
The firewall's disabled, DHCP enabled. Still not connecting! All the cables are working - it's all flashing and responding.

I've tried resetting the router, resetting the modem, turning everything off then on again, checked DHCP settings, still unsure about MAC - don't know which one to use. Is there anything really simple I'm missing? In the interface I chose "cable" as opposed to PPoE or something like that - is that correct?

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 03:12
You shouldn't need to specify a MAC address in the router.

Your Cable Modem will attach itself to the MAC of the router, it really shouldn't care what MAC address you have setup on your PC.

You shouldn't need an IP address set up on your PC, it should automatically be assigned one by the router.
Right click on the network adaptor icon (Start > Control Panel > Network Connections in XP) and select the General Tab. Highlight TCP/IP and click the Properties button.

This should be set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically".

Now close all of that and go back to the network connections box.

Right click on the network icon for your connection, select Disable and let it do its stuff. When that is done, right click on it again and select Enable.

Now right click on it again and select Status.

Click on the support tab and post back the first two blocks of numbers from the IP address. Mine are 192.168.

tomccoll
06-07-2005, 09:05
Cheers for the advice!

I'm at work now so I can't do much about it till this evening but I'll give what you suggest a go.

Thanks!

Matth
07-07-2005, 23:33
I have that router on NTL...

Assuming you already have Ethernet connevtivity - laboured over rather poorly in the manual...

1. Connect to the router ... http://192.128.2.1/ (using the default account & password, unless already changed)
2. Use "Quick setup" Select the timezone, and give it a timeserver
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/timesync.html
194.117.152.85 is the addreess for ntp.blueyonder.co.uk
If you switch the router off, I'd suggest using the UBR address instead, as it will be acessed each time you restart it.
3. On "Next", select Broadband type as "Cable Modem" and then you should be able to clone the adapter MAC address (saves registering a new mac address).

That should be all the setup that's needed

PS. I've put mine onto 3.01 firmware, though it seemed to be ok on original 2.97
I use the UBR address for timeserver, even though it's almost an hour out!

tomccoll
08-07-2005, 09:32
Thank you!

I'll try that tonight and see what happens... I had a friend come over last night to give it a try and got no further than me. I guess this is what happens when you get a cheap router - no decent instructions, no customer care!

tomccoll
08-07-2005, 18:59
Ok I'm so baffled, but happily so! For no apparent reason it's all suddenly working before I changed any of the settings you guys suggested! I'm not experienced at all in this area but for some reason it's all working now. Thanks for your help though!