PDA

View Full Version : O.K to eat a cow but not Dog meat?

Michelle_Smith
05-07-2005, 23:37
Why is it acceptable to eat a cow however a dog is a taboo? In South Korea they eat dog meat. Surely if a cow is acceptable to be eaten a Dog is also.

What is your opinion?

polmkі
05-07-2005, 23:39
ithink its just a matter of what people are used to.

i do like a bit of cat, though.

kronas
05-07-2005, 23:40
to even think about it is disgusting, in some cultures eating certain things is acceptable, not in mine though!

Angua
05-07-2005, 23:42
Having eaten Crocodile (fish flavoured chicken, not the most pleasant taste sensation) which is a carnivore, personally I think thats what it boils down to. Cows being herbivores and Dogs being carnivores/omnivores.

bopdude
05-07-2005, 23:42
Why is it acceptable to eat a cow however a dog is a taboo? In South Korea they eat dog meat. Surely if a cow is acceptable to be eaten a Dog is also.

What is your opinion?

Depends on the locals and their customs and beliefs, don't go trying to eat ' mother cow ' in India, you might not like the outcome ;) I'm sure when we've been abroad we have all had something different to that claimed on the menu, I for one have had horse meat, didn't know the first time round, I was told afterwards, liked it so much I had some more :dozey: :D

Russ
05-07-2005, 23:43

What is your opinion?

It might be more to do with the fact that more people own dogs than cows and for many people, their pet pooch is like part of the family.

Michelle_Smith
05-07-2005, 23:46
It might be more to do with the fact that more people own dogs than cows and for many people, their pet pooch is like part of the family.

It is socially acceptable to eat rabbit. Many UK homes own rabbits.

danielf
05-07-2005, 23:47
I once had dinner in a restaurant in Saigon. In the back of the restaurant were cages with, amongst other huge bats and snakes. The menu featured cat, dog, mice and loads of other 'odd meats'.

I believe we decided on prawns, chicken and beef.

I think we have something against eating our pets. Other cultures may not view (the same) animals as pets.

Russ
05-07-2005, 23:48

I wouldn't say it was socially acceptable, I'd say it might be more acceptable - and dogs are still the nation's favourite family pet.

danielf
05-07-2005, 23:49

I think rabbits were probably eaten long before people started keeping them as pets.

Very nice btw, rabbit :)

Michelle_Smith
05-07-2005, 23:53
Just because a dog is a common UK pet isn't a reason for it not being acceptable to eat. People that eat cows and are against other people eating dogs are hypercrites. Same as vegetarians that eat fish.

ellie
05-07-2005, 23:54
Dogs are domesticated in this country, people who own dogs consider them one of the family ..and you wouldnt eat your own would you? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/7.gif

Angua
05-07-2005, 23:54
As my other half would put it "I prefer my meat to have eaten the vegetables for me".

Kliro
05-07-2005, 23:55
I think its largely based on what we consider to be intelligence, dogs seem to posess higher amounts of intelligence than cows, rabbits etc, and therefore are more like humans than cows or rabbits.

Wouldnt go eating a monkey now, would you?!

danielf
06-07-2005, 00:06
I think its largely based on what we consider to be intelligence, dogs seem to posess higher amounts of intelligence than cows, rabbits etc, and therefore are more like humans than cows or rabbits.

Monkey is eaten in some cultures, some cultures even (used to) eat humans.

homealone
06-07-2005, 00:10

but some people do eat monkeys, however, I think I would prefer a beef steak, to a monkey steak, myself

Richard M
06-07-2005, 00:12
This thread is a troll IMO...but anyway, I couldn't eat a dog or anything else that I'd have as a pet such as a cute ickle Budgie that goes tweet.

dilli-theclaw
06-07-2005, 00:14
This thread is a troll IMO...but anyway, I couldn't eat a dog or anything else that I'd have as a pet such as a cute ickle Budgie that goes tweet.

Not much point anyway, not enough meat ;):)

I think some people will eat just about anything.

Richard M
06-07-2005, 00:16
Yeah, even each other if you go far South enough.

polmkі
06-07-2005, 00:17
This thread is a troll IMO...

is it acceptable to eat trolls?

dilli-theclaw
06-07-2005, 00:18
is it acceptable to eat trolls?

You must NEVER feed/eat trolls, they tend to breed very quickly. And if you consume one you are in danger of becoming a troll.

ellie
06-07-2005, 00:21

What's a troll thread? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/21.gif

Richard M
06-07-2005, 00:23

Just like a troll post, but in thread format.
It's designed to provoke an emotional response, much to the delight of the postee.
See here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

danielf
06-07-2005, 00:27

I think this (http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html) is one of the classic references.

Michelle_Smith
06-07-2005, 00:27
Yeah you are a troll if you express your views.

Richard M
06-07-2005, 00:29
Yeah you are a troll if you express your views.

I'm not accusing you, the thread just appeared that way to me.
However, I will not allow a perfectly good thread to wander off topic so take it to PMs if you want to talk about it (trolling) some more.

ellie
06-07-2005, 00:29
Just like a troll post, but in thread format.
It's designed to provoke an emotional response, much to the delight of the postee.
See here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Cool, thankyou Rich https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif ...The more I know the stranger it gets https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/5.gif

Nikko
06-07-2005, 00:33
If we were not supposed to eat dogs, why do we have canine teeth?

Monster Jedi
06-07-2005, 00:33
What a load of Trollocks:D

Halcyon
06-07-2005, 00:57
It depends on the culture and where you live.
We dont eat coconuts everyday as we dont have coco trees growing in the streets.
Everywher eis different and has different surroundings.
A lot of people often say "That's disgusting", but until you actually have tried it you cant know that.

polmkі
06-07-2005, 01:01
It depends on the culture and where you live.
We dont eat coconuts everyday as we dont have coco trees growing in the streets.
Everywher eis different and has different surroundings.
A lot of people often say "That's disgusting", but until you actually have tried it you cant know that.

never heard of a coco tree before. i 'spose this is where coconuts come from just like acorns come from acorn trees.:rolleyes:

danielf
06-07-2005, 01:13
never heard of a coco tree before. i 'spose this is where coconuts come from just like acorns come from acorn trees.:rolleyes:

Why not, peaches from peach trees you know.

Graham
06-07-2005, 18:12

What is your opinion?

This is simply an example of cultural conditioning, to us a dog is "man's best friend" so the idea of eating one is repugnant to us.

Similarly the French regularly eat horse meat, but not many Brits would because we haven't been brought up with a culture that considers a horse to be something one eats.

I've seen people protesting in London about Koreans eat dogs, but my response is "are they asking *you* to eat it"? No? Then what the hell business is it of yours?

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 18:14
Should we read anything into the fact that the OP has been "Permanently Banned" ;)

<Edit: Apologies, wrong member. The OP has not been banned :) >

Stuart
06-07-2005, 18:22
Michelle_Smith (the OP) hasn't been banned.

Peac.. Sorry, Polmki appears to have been..

Raistlin
06-07-2005, 18:25
Michelle_Smith (the OP) hasn't been banned.

Peac.. Sorry, Polmki appears to have been..

Just spotted that, thanks :tu:

My bad :disturbd:

Escapee
06-07-2005, 18:26
The current girlfriend is from the Phillipines, and said they do eat dog but generally only when they have a beach party. She said naughty dogs who dont behave are often eaten and she agrees with what I was told elsewhere "Brown dog tastes better than black dog"

She did say she was put off eating dog though, when she went to a party and the complete dog with its head and tail still on, was being spit roasted over a fire.

I always joke when she cooks me Adobo, that it has next doors dog in there! :D

danielf
06-07-2005, 19:03
I was just discussing this subject with some people the other day. My gf, who can speak and read Chinese said she was in a food hall somewhere in China. They saw some food item which looked quite nice, but then she realised there was a card next to it with the character for 'Dog' on it. She and her friend went, yuck! we're not going to eat that!, and only then did she realise the card had the character for 'Hot' on it as well :D

hjf288
06-07-2005, 19:16
Well being Korean myself I can vouch for the fact that Dog is RARELY eaten in South Korea.
Its usually only rich old businessmen that have a demand for it these days.... not a very common meal.

ScaredWebWarrior
06-07-2005, 19:42
I've seen people protesting in London about Koreans eat dogs, but my response is "are they asking *you* to eat it"? No? Then what the hell business is it of yours?

As I understand it, the objection is less to the eating of dog, but rather to what happens to the animal up to the point of consumption.

It seems that the dog meat is better/more desirable if the animal died in pain and in fear. So they might skin it alive, throw into boiling water or flame it with a blowtorch to ensure maximum torture before preparing it for eating.

Now this may be myth, but some of the images and footage I have seen on the 'net suggest otherwise.

I'd agree with your argument if the treatment of the dogs was humane, along the same lines as we would expect for sheep or pigs. If that was the case, then perhaps there would be an argument for it.

dilli-theclaw
06-07-2005, 19:44
Well being Korean myself I can vouch for the fact that Dog is RARELY eaten in South Korea.
Its usually only rich old businessmen that have a demand for it these days.... not a very common meal.

Is that because it's expensive, or because people don't like it?

If it's because people don't like it, is that for a moral reason, or just that it tastes bad?

budwieser
06-07-2005, 19:48
ithink its just a matter of what people are used to.

i do like a bit of cat, though.

Waits for the Pussy jokes to start coming!:D

I`ll slip out the back door if thats ok!:rolleyes:

Maggy
06-07-2005, 20:23
How about spiders,scorpiens and caterpillars? :erm:

Theodoric
06-07-2005, 20:49
I think rabbits were probably eaten long before people started keeping them as pets.

Very nice btw, rabbit :)
You can blame the Normans. They brought them over as a source of meat and fur.

If we were not supposed to eat dogs, why do we have canine teeth?
We also have eye teeth and, occasionally buck teeth, and would anyone with wisdom teeth be prepared to post in this thread? :)

Angua
06-07-2005, 22:16
The current girlfriend is from the Phillipines, and said they do eat dog but generally only when they have a beach party. She said naughty dogs who dont behave are often eaten and she agrees with what I was told elsewhere "Brown dog tastes better than black dog"

She did say she was put off eating dog though, when she went to a party and the complete dog with its head and tail still on, was being spit roasted over a fire.

I always joke when she cooks me Adobo, that it has next doors dog in there! :D
My brother is married to a fillipino and he mentioned something called "pio" IIRC (a developed chick but not hatched). There again they make the most of limited resources of any description.

Millay
06-07-2005, 22:52
I'll eat anything me, I love all kinds of meat, and one of the meats I really want to try is Guinea Pig, whilst I would not eat any of my pets I see it in my eyes impossible to distinguish between a cow and a guinea pig, there both cute and have quirky perosnalities. I think its more down to the fact nowadays that we are not able to associate the meat we eat with the animals it came from.. The slaughtering process for our meat is horrible, discomforting and generally unpleasent. . but out of sight out of mind.

Tezcatlipoca
06-07-2005, 22:54
I'll eat anything me, I love all kinds of meat, and one of the meats I really want to try is Guinea Pig, whilst I would not eat any of my pets I see it in my eyes impossible to distinguish between a cow and a guinea pig, there both cute and have quirky perosnalities. I think its more down to the fact nowadays that we are not able to associate the meat we eat with the animals it came from.. The slaughtering process for our meat is horrible, discomforting and generally unpleasent. . but out of sight out of mind.

I went to Peru a couple of years ago...they eat guinea pig there, roasted on a stick.

Didn't try it though :erm:

Millay
06-07-2005, 22:56
My Friend went to peru a last year, he brought me back a photo of a load of them strung up drying out...

I genrally use the photo to scare my lot when they wont behave :Yikes:

danielf
06-07-2005, 23:04
My Friend went to peru a last year, he brought me back a photo of a load of them strung up drying out...

I genrally use the photo to scare my lot when they wont behave :Yikes:

Would you like chips with that? :Yikes:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/22.jpg

Tuftus
06-07-2005, 23:05
Would you like chips with that?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/22.jpg

Well it does look like the small chicken and the veg would not be enough....

:D

/sarcastic mode was on btw

ellie
06-07-2005, 23:13
Ewwie that pic is horrible https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/8.gif

Richard M
06-07-2005, 23:14
:sick:

budwieser
06-07-2005, 23:22

Seconded :sick:

ScaredWebWarrior
06-07-2005, 23:47
<Picture>

Actually, that looks quite edible - since it's completely divorced from the 'cuddly' creature - it just looks like roast meat. Not much different from a 'poussin' really. Though it may taste different - who knows?

A bit like eating Escargots - try looking at a snail and then eating one. They're actually quite nice - but I make sure not to think of a 'snail' when eating one.

Ditto frog's legs.

And, as someone mentioned, rabbit is quite nice, and also quite cuddly! lol.

I have heard that dog meat is not unlike pork - I don't know, but if it wasn't for the horrors I'd have to imagine, I might try some, given a chance.

(I also seem to recall reading/hearing that human flesh is similarly quite edible - so long as you don't know what - or who - you're eating!)

Which reminds me of the various taste tests they used to have on 'That's Life' - ignoring that cute old biddy they used to have on regularly - many times people would happily try something, say how nice it was and then throw up when they were told what it was. It's all in the mind, I suppose...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Which also made me think of food like oysters (they're alive when you eat them!), tripe, brains (I've actually sat at a table with someone who was eating that!) and any number of 'odd' foddstuffs. Some might count liver and/or kidneys in there, or sweetbread (thymus gland or pancreas), black and/or white pudding.

Now I've never had occasion to try tripe, and that one time I declined to taste brain, but otherwise I'll just about try anything - at least once, before I come to a verdict.

zing_deleted
07-07-2005, 00:00
I used to be a butcher in my younger years,I used to eat raw tripe and liver as a party piece made quite a bit of money that way :D ,The answer to the question I spose is it depends where you are.I do not see a problem eating dog cat or anything really,I do not fancy insects but thats my squeamish side

homealone
07-07-2005, 00:07
I used to be a butcher in my younger years,I used to eat raw tripe and liver as a party piece made quite a bit of money that way :D ,The answer to the question I spose is it depends where you are.I do not see a problem eating dog cat or anything really,I do not fancy insects but thats my squeamish side

liver, heart, kidneys 'does me' for offal - roast termites are nice for an insect starter ;)

zing_deleted
07-07-2005, 00:08
Where GreenKeeper he still owes me a steak :D

Stuffed lambs heart mmmmmm I bet this is turning the tummy on a lot of those who will not eat dog,My point here is whats the difference between eating any type of meat.If you not like the taste fair enough but for mosts the desision is made in the head not with the taste buds. I bet a lot of meat eaters here love a good rump steak ,cows ass cheeks, the cow mad a pat by squeezing there rump, but people love rump steak strange really

hjf288
07-07-2005, 03:26
Is that because it's expensive, or because people don't like it?

If it's because people don't like it, is that for a moral reason, or just that it tastes bad?

its not bad in price, wouldnt say it tastes that bad but id say a moral reason...

I could shock you guys with disgusting ways that people slaughter cows, lambs, sheep, calfs, pigs, piglets, etc doesnt mean that everyone does it...

Also the majority of grueling pics are from china where they are ruthless son of a beanz :P Very brutal, but yeah i suggest trying dog if you can stomach it..

ScaredWebWarrior
07-07-2005, 08:19
I could shock you guys with disgusting ways that people slaughter cows, lambs, sheep, calfs, pigs, piglets, etc doesnt mean that everyone does it...

Perhaps, but at least that kind of thing is not generally tolerated here, and the perpetrators, if caught, can at least be dealt with.

Or are you referring to other countries? I guess that if it's not unacceptable to torture a dog to death, then other species are not safe either.

Also the majority of grueling pics are from china where they are ruthless son of a beanz :P Very brutal, but yeah i suggest trying dog if you can stomach it..

I have not seen evidence of this brutality being mainly from China. In any case, that doesn't absolve anyone else. And it also means that when 'trying dog' we have to assume it died a terrible death.

Now when I eat meat, I assume the animal was slaughtered humanely, because that's what is acceptable and that's what is prescribed.

hjf288
07-07-2005, 18:22
Did anyone say it was tolerated here? I think Not Im referring to other countrys.

The fact that your biased towards all other species being killed for meat in brutal inhumane ways does not include ALL sellers of meat. Who is torturing the dog???

Oh you havent seen evidence of it being mainly from China? Well considering the Daily Mail has had various articles on the Chinese and even one from Korea IN WHICH it used Pictures FROM CHINA... the writing was CHINESE not Korean in the district where the picture was taken, how embarrassing.

You stick to the rules, beliefs of the UK where you currently reside and let other countrys stick to their own Culture, Beliefs and eating habits. You ASSUME far too much... the majority of meat there whether it be dog, pig, cow, lamb, chicken etc is killed just as humanely as it is here... its just as usual you have those unscrupulous market sellers that do it their own ways...

Its like saying - Why let the Saudis behead and stone people to death? is that not inhumane?
Mugabes bullbozer extreme power trip - is that not inhumane?

And thats to OUR species so why not do something about them? Well considering it isnt your country to control then I dont see how you could do it without force... and war over things such as dog meat isnt exactly going to happen is it....

Flubflow
07-07-2005, 18:34

Well, if you eat raw meats then you might get those insects inadvertantly. I won't post the link to the pics because it might make you all throw up but basically ...

This is a true case of a japanese man from GifuPrefecture who complains incessantly about a persistent headache.

Mr. Shota Fujiwara loves his sashimi and sushi very much to the extent of trying to get them as "alive and fresh" as can be for his insatiable appetite. He developes a severe headache for the past 3 years and has put it off as migraine and stress from work. It was only when he started losing his psycomotor skills that he seeks medical help. A brain scan and x-ray reveals little however. But upon closer inspection by a specialist on his scalp, the doctor noticed small movements beneath his skin. It was then that the doctor did a local anaesthetic to his scalp and discovered the cause when tiny worms crawled out. A major surgery was thus immediately called for and the extent of the infestation was horrific

Remember, tapeworms and roundworms and their eggs which abounds in all fishes from fresh or saltwater can only be killed by thorough cooking and/or freezing the fish to between 4 degC - 0 degsC. The eggs of these parasites can only be killed if it is cooked or frozen to the said temperatures for a week or more. Think twice about that raw dish next time . . . or you might get a headache.

zing_deleted
07-07-2005, 18:42
I think you enjoyed posting that ;)

Tuftus
07-07-2005, 20:03
Well, if you eat raw meats then you might get those insects inadvertantly. I won't post the link to the pics because it might make you all throw up but basically ...

This is a true case of a japanese man from GifuPrefecture who complains incessantly about a persistent headache.

Mr. Shota Fujiwara loves his sashimi and sushi very much to the extent of trying to get them as "alive and fresh" as can be for his insatiable appetite. He developes a severe headache for the past 3 years and has put it off as migraine and stress from work. It was only when he started losing his psycomotor skills that he seeks medical help. A brain scan and x-ray reveals little however. But upon closer inspection by a specialist on his scalp, the doctor noticed small movements beneath his skin. It was then that the doctor did a local anaesthetic to his scalp and discovered the cause when tiny worms crawled out. A major surgery was thus immediately called for and the extent of the infestation was horrific

Remember, tapeworms and roundworms and their eggs which abounds in all fishes from fresh or saltwater can only be killed by thorough cooking and/or freezing the fish to between 4 degC - 0 degsC. The eggs of these parasites can only be killed if it is cooked or frozen to the said temperatures for a week or more. Think twice about that raw dish next time . . . or you might get a headache.

Lovely....

NOT.

:D