PDA

View Full Version : Internet always cuts me off when downloading

jimmyab
05-07-2005, 20:44
Hi, i have had this problem for a while, but it is finally driving me insane. Basically whenever i am using programs to download files (legal or illegal) the internet keeps on cutting out and i have to unplug the cable modem and plug it back in again. It only happens when i am downloading which makes me think that the guys are telewest are seeing that i am using up a lot of their bandwidth and cut me off. the modem i have is a Scientific Atlanta model DPX110. The helpline guys i have spoke to know less than my mum about computers and have no advice,

Has anyone got any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

thanx in advance, jimmyab

mrlipring
05-07-2005, 21:54
there are people literally maxing out their TW connections. I doubt you're being dropped off the network because of that.

Besides, is the TW service not unmetered? AFAIK it's something they've boasted.

Sounds like the same problem i'm having with my NTL connection. I've had a swap for a new modem, then a new psu for the modem, and they've checked the signal level and cabling and can't find anything wrong with it.

I hope your problem is one of the above, as they're all easy to find. It's spooky intermittent stuff like i have that you don't want. :)

paulyoung666
05-07-2005, 22:07
hi and :welcome: to the site , if you max out your upstream then you will kill your downstream :( , hope you enjoy your stay here btw :)

Tezcatlipoca
05-07-2005, 22:13
:welcome:

Is this using P2P?

As Paul said above, if you max out your connection (especially the upstream) you can cause it to drop.

Try & cap your upload & download in your P2P/whatever software.

Have a look at this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html

Maybe could also be that the modem simply can't handle the level of traffic it's seeing from your usage.