PDA

View Full Version : Which console to buy?? Opinions please!

smicer07
02-10-2003, 19:42
I'm looking at buying a new console, but I'm unsure as to whether to go for an XBOX or a PS2. I know this is the PS2 forum, but can I have some unbiased opinion please? The options are:

1. Wait for XBOX to come down in price to 100, rumoured to be at Xmas, then buy it.
2. Get an XBOX now from Game.
3. Get a PS2 from Game, a silver one..
4. Get a normal PS2 from Game, with Eye Toy
5. Get a PS2 from Woolies with 2 games for 140 (I think this is the price)

I love Pro Evolution Soccer and number 3 is out soon so I'd like that... but then the XBOX has a built in hard drive!

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Thanks!
Simon

NEONKNIGHT
02-10-2003, 19:51
I'm looking at buying a new console, but I'm unsure as to whether to go for an XBOX or a PS2. I know this is the PS2 forum, but can I have some unbiased opinion please? The options are:

1. Wait for XBOX to come down in price to 100, rumoured to be at Xmas, then buy it.

I love Pro Evolution Soccer and number 3 is out soon so I'd like that... but then the XBOX has a built in hard drive!

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Thanks!
Simon

From one fellow E.Port person to another - You got Broadband then go for the Xbox - nuff said. :)

smicer07
02-10-2003, 19:52
Ohh a fellow portite! Nice! lol Cheers for the advice!

NEONKNIGHT
02-10-2003, 20:01
Ohh a fellow portite! Nice! lol Cheers for the advice!

:) Forgot to add aswell, the DVD playback is far superior on Xbox than on the PS2. Also the PS2 has a tendency to pack in after the warranty is up - this happend to me. This problem has also been highlighted on the BBC programme Watchdog not long back.

Defiant
02-10-2003, 20:21
Got the Playstation 2 myself for games like GTA, Resident Evil Code Veronica and its vast libery of games. I now also have the XBOX. I like this for its PC like graphics and faster loadup times. All in all I couldn't point you to which one because it depends on what your looking for. Go to HMV or something and try them both out. See what hardware is about and price things up

Jarandco
02-10-2003, 21:48
I would say XBO is has the power the better graphics , a brillaint online service and a hugely expanding games catalogue including GTA! :)

Xbox would be my prefered choice!

Steve H
02-10-2003, 21:56
Having both a XBOX, and PS2 I'd say it depends on what you want it for...

I prefer my PS2 for Offline games, and by Far, after using both PS2 online, & XBL, The xbox rules the online market.

Defiant
02-10-2003, 23:27
I would say XBO is has the power the better graphics , a brillaint online service and a hugely expanding games catalogue including GTA! :)

Xbox would be my prefered choice!

Caugh not out yet ;)

Boom
03-10-2003, 14:08
If you want PES3 and a huge game library than you have no choice, but, if you're a console graphics wh@re, want a built in hdd and ethernet port then you might want to think about an Xbox.

I noticed you're not thinking of buying a PC or a Gamecube, but maybe you already have one of those?

Also what about online gaming, does that influence your choice?

I have the lot, but the Xbox is definitely at the moment seeing the most of my time. For amount of time spent gaming in the last 4 months the order has been Xbox, PC, Gamecube, and then PS2. I'd say Xbox has been close to 80% of that time.

smicer07
03-10-2003, 21:53
I really want PE3. I'm not a big fan of "shoot everything in sight" games that seem to be on the Xbox (might be wrong). I have a PC and am not really interested in a Gamecube cos of the lack of online play. It would mainly be for single player though rather than online... but the online option is a must for the future really. I like the look of the new silver ps2...

Boom
04-10-2003, 08:21
I really want PE3. I'm not a big fan of "shoot everything in sight" games that seem to be on the Xbox (might be wrong). I have a PC and am not really interested in a Gamecube cos of the lack of online play. It would mainly be for single player though rather than online... but the online option is a must for the future really. I like the look of the new silver ps2...

Then get the PS2, it definitely sounds like its what you want. PES3 is extremely enticing, but I think I'll stick with the FIFA for online play for now.

TigaSefi
04-10-2003, 08:51
WTF whether a console got a hdd or not is able to sway your choice is beyond me. If you get the Silver playstation, u get two controllers for just an extra £10 which is a bargain in itself. Plus the dvd player and machine itself has been revamped so it should be of a better build. PES3 is what I want to play too and i am just wating for some bundle with the silver ps2 before going ahead with it.

paulyoung666
04-10-2003, 18:15
ps2 anytime , the controller is superb compared to the xbox monster thing , plus it looks the dogs in silver , my opinion only of course :)

Jarandco
04-10-2003, 19:52
ps2 anytime , the controller is superb compared to the xbox monster thing , plus it looks the dogs in silver , my opinion only of course :)
:rolleyes:

Controller S

Jarandco
04-10-2003, 19:54
Caugh not out yet ;)

But it will be! before xmas!

I still say xbox, if you only want a ps2 for pes3 then why not get it on the pc because to me it would seem a waste spedning 140 for just one game....?

p.s. the xbox shooters arent shoot everything in sight, there are a lot of tactical ones! :)

timewarrior2001
06-10-2003, 12:53

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Thanks!
Simon

Having recently bought an Xbox mself (£189 with 4 games and extra controller from curry's) I cannot recommend them enough, the possibilities with an xbox are exellent. The games, I can honestly say I have seen nothing anywhere near as good as the games on the Xbox. Not tested the DVD play back yet, but it cant be any worse than the PS2's.
I am looking at turning my Xbox into a dev machine and this seems to be easily done.
Its an excellent machine and worthy of the £189 I spent.

paulyoung666
06-10-2003, 18:57
why do people say ps2 dvd playback is crap , i have never found it to be a problem :)

Jarandco
06-10-2003, 19:17
why do people say ps2 dvd playback is crap , i have never found it to be a problem :)

I think its allright just not as good as the xbox!?

ic14
06-10-2003, 19:30
why do people say ps2 dvd playback is crap , i have never found it to be a problem :)They both have trouble, some dvds skip on ps2 and some skip on xbox,

Some just dont work on ethier.

Jarandco
06-10-2003, 20:37
None of my dvds skip on my xbox all of them have been fine - although i do have the updated dvd drive :D

ic14
06-10-2003, 20:41
Lucky you then, i think mines the first gen, ill find how you check sometime ;)

Jarandco
06-10-2003, 20:49
Lucky you then, i think mines the first gen, ill find how you check sometime ;)
Well i got mine updated by MS dont think you can check! :)

(Unless you totally open up your xbox)

ic14
06-10-2003, 21:59
Well i got mine updated by MS dont think you can check! :)

(Unless you totally open up your xbox)Its the DVD drive that matters, i had a site that showed you the difference between the different makes use, ill try to find it.

paulyoung666
07-10-2003, 09:05
the ps2 pad is rubbish. there are no triggers and a anolog stick is 100 times better than a d-pad and where are they on the ps2 pad. the xbox pad is the best controler i've used with a console.

excuse me but the ps2 pad has 2 analog sticks dont it , or at least it did have last time i looked , xbox pad might be ok if you have hands like shovels :eeek:

Boom
07-10-2003, 11:38
Never had a problem with either of my XBoxs as DVD players, but had quite frequent problems with the ps2 and eventually gave up using it as a dvd player.