PDA

View Full Version : Torn Ankle Ligaments

liamboyle06
04-07-2005, 23:10
Hi everybody

I tore my ankle ligaments Yesterday, and all the hospital said to do was to rest and dont lean on it heavily??? then let me go with a set of crutches.
can any body maybe give some advice on how to speed up recovery from teh 6-8 weeks the doc said it would take before i can expect to walk correctly again?

danielf
04-07-2005, 23:15
I think Ramrod is your man...

nffc
04-07-2005, 23:18
I believe not- all you have to do is wait for it to fix itself.

Resting it, lying down with yer feet up, is the best thing.

6-8 weeks off work... :woot:

Ramrod
04-07-2005, 23:27
Depends if it's a full thickness tear or just partial...........
Probably just partial, most are. How did you do it?
You need to decrease the inflammation in the damage site by icing the area. Frozen peas or a malleable ice pack--covered with a thin cloth--applied to the area with a firm pressure for a maximum of 5 minutes in 30. Repeat at least 5 times a day till the swelling has subsided markedly (probably about 5 days, but I haven't seen the injury)
Once the swelling has gone down and you can weight bear with less pain you need to retrain the ankle by gently and slowly rotating it (within your pain tolerance) and also doing balance exercises on the injured leg (just balance on that leg)

Kliro
05-07-2005, 00:10
Arrggh, I did this just before I was in a play, had to bandage it up really tightly and wear lots of socks and tight shoes, hurt a loooot, was hobbling around for weeks, my ankle is still pretty weak.

I managed to do it by running down the stairs, then instead of putting my foot down on the bottom it slipped and went on its side, and my whole weight went on it :(

nffc
05-07-2005, 00:26
Arrggh, I did this just before I was in a play, had to bandage it up really tightly and wear lots of socks and tight shoes, hurt a loooot, was hobbling around for weeks, my ankle is still pretty weak.

I managed to do it by running down the stairs, then instead of putting my foot down on the bottom it slipped and went on its side, and my whole weight went on it :(
My right ankle does that anyway... i think it sits slightly towards the little toe edge anyway so it's kinda walking slightly on the outside of my foot- normally if i'm running it might turn onto its side... fricking kills :(

Probably too much having twisted it, things like running, footy, all sorts of things I probably did too much of at about 13-14... :o

Ramrod
05-07-2005, 08:55
You might have avulsed a ligament or tendon (torn it away from the bone) but it's unlikely.
If in doubt, get an x-ray (not that there is much treatment on offer for this kind of thing apart from what I suggested)
Rest Ice Compress Elevate

Jules
05-07-2005, 10:21
I hope it gets better soon, this sort of thing can take a long time

liamboyle06
05-07-2005, 11:00
Hi guys

I have been resting it up now since Sunday and the swelling has not gone down that much. There is not as much pain coming from it now though, which is great, except in the morning where it is really sore, putting the support bandage on .
The Xray - accorcding to the doc- said taht there was some ankle bone fragments that came off when it snapped.
I managed to do this while playing football, running along, the ball took the feet from under my right foot and all my weight just landed on the ankle.

Thanks for the advice though

ikthius
05-07-2005, 11:51
as rammy said, rest it, ice it, and try some exercises once you feel ready for it.

I done this about 8 months ago.

I was told to:

1: rest it as much as I can for 1-2 weeks
2: ice it for 5 mins then hot pack for 5 mins for about 30mins
3: using both feet, go on to tip toes slowly 5 secs up to top, then 5 secs down to floor, as high as I can, 30 times 3 times per day for 1 week
4: then speed it up to 3 secs up and down 30 times, 3 per day for 1 week; also go swimming/aqua jogging for 30 mins if your ankle can last that long. aqua jogging would be best to begin with.
5: speed to 2 up and down same as before
6: until I can do it very fast, up and crash down
then do it all again from start with knees bent.
7: use a wobble board to help with balance by going forward and back under control
8: same wobble board and staying still on it and rotating my body without loosing balance.
9: advanced wobble board, the full round one, and trying to hold my balance for 1 min+
10: using same wobble board, holding balance and then throwing a ball to a wall and catching it still holding balance. 1min +
also when doing these exercises, doing rotations and inversion and eversion movements.
11: stretch your calf muscles, both, straight leg and knee bent to stretch gastocnemius and soleuos. also using a towle to stretch the ankle joint inversion and eversion, and also the towle over the toes and pulling the toes back with the towel, 30 secs each stretch and 3 times a day.

but it took me 4 months to go back to full sports. I went back to martial arts for 1 month then got back into squash before I got back into football hich was 6 months after the injury.

good luck, I found it hell, but rewarding, I now don't have any problem and can play football with no probs.

ik

Ramrod
05-07-2005, 12:07
Good advice--just be very careful with the wobble board.....It's probably too early to start using it atm.
Have you been icing it?

ikthius
05-07-2005, 12:33
Good advice--just be very careful with the wobble board.....It's probably too early to start using it atm.
Have you been icing it?

rammy, I was hoping that the post showed the weeks that I had to do before the wobble board. but I was on the wobble board about 1 month after the injury, to begin with for just 1 movements but the basic one way board.

ik

bubblygirl
15-04-2009, 09:00
well ur luck to got crutches i didnt get nothin i was walkin on mine for 13 weeks went to hospital 3 times nd doctors twice before work moved me on to the checkouts for 6 weeks now that has ended i thought my foot would be better nd still isnt i dont know wt to do it hurts like hell nd work dont really care i cant afford 6 weeks off work nd they get funny if they have to move me again plz someone help me in wt to do

Angua
15-04-2009, 09:28
Hi guys

I have been resting it up now since Sunday and the swelling has not gone down that much. There is not as much pain coming from it now though, which is great, except in the morning where it is really sore, putting the support bandage on .
The Xray - accorcding to the doc- said taht there was some ankle bone fragments that came off when it snapped.
I managed to do this while playing football, running along, the ball took the feet from under my right foot and all my weight just landed on the ankle.

Thanks for the advice though

If you can raise the foot in bed (shove a couple of pillows at the end of the bed) and sleep with it raised this way. At least this will ensure it is raised for a good part of the day which should help.

southwell
15-04-2009, 09:32
If you can raise the foot in bed (shove a couple of pillows at the end of the bed) and sleep with it raised this way. At least this will ensure it is raised for a good part of the day which should help.
The thread is nearly 4 years old, i hope his foot is ok now. :D

hprior
31-05-2011, 08:37
hello everyone.i was reading some of the posts bout treatment for torn ligaments and thought id see if anyone can help me??
about 4 weeks ago i initially thought i ruptured my ligaments in my ankle however since then i have been told i have torn them. (not too sure on the difference)
im in the British Army and the thing with the infantry is that going 'sick' i.e. to the med centre will result in tubie grip and ibrufen being given, which did happen. i played football last week and now my ankle hurts again. i know i shouldnt have played but at the time it felt ok, and no one gave me a proper diagnoses.
the swelling is not like it was when i initially done it, however now it hurts even with the samllest touch.
any advice would be greatly appreciated (and also is a very important football game next week out the question?)

Derek
31-05-2011, 13:15
any advice would be greatly appreciated (and also is a very important football game next week out the question?)

I'm not a doctor but I think your chances of playing next week are pretty doubtful. All I can suggest is rest, a compression bandage and some flexibility work when you feel up to it. Rushing back in to exercise will only cause more damage.