PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting the modem

mexicano
03-07-2005, 23:30
Hi folks,
Another newbie :dunce:
Can you tell me if it's possible to disconnect the cable modem and still leave the computer on?
I've always been on dial up and I'm not used to leaving the connection on all the time.
Anyway, can I just pull the power cable out or unscrew the coax cable?
Don't all scream at once that I shouldn't do that :Yikes:
Thanks for any help.

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2005, 23:35
:welcome:

You can turn off the modem & leave the PC on, if you want.

Don't pull the power cable out - just unplug the modem.

And do *not* unscrew the coax.

But...

There really is *no* need to do that. It's perfectly safe & normal to leave the modem connected & turned on all the time.

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 23:37
There really is *no* need to do that. It's perfectly safe & normal to leave the modem connected & turned on all the time.

With the caveat that.....if you are leaving your computer turned on, and connected to the modem, you really should ensure that you have a firewall as a minimum security requirement.

:welcome: to Cable Forum :)

mexicano
03-07-2005, 23:48
With the caveat that.....if you are leaving your computer turned on, and connected to the modem, you really should ensure that you have a firewall as a minimum security requirement.

:welcome: to Cable Forum :)

Thanks for the advise. I do have a firewall, Sygate persoanl firewall. I used that with my dial up. I also use AVG free edition as the anti-virus. Are they OK for BB?

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 23:49
Yep. Should be fine :tu:

mexicano
04-07-2005, 00:22
Yep. Should be fine :tu:

Thanks for the advise and the welcome.

Halcyon
04-07-2005, 00:58
Welcome to the forums.
I hope you enjoy it around here :)

You can turn the modem off at the mains whenever you do not wish to use it and can unplug the jack from your PC's network card however there is no real point in disconnecting the leads.
When you switch the power back on the modem, wait for it to do its test before switching on your PC.
Once the RDY light and SYNC light are still, you can turn on your computer.

Some people turn the modem off every night, others leave it on. Its u to you really.