PDA

View Full Version : Taking in students?

budwieser
03-07-2005, 22:58
Has anyone here ever taken in Language school students and if so, what was your experience of it like?
I ask because my good lady wife and i had a spare room and decided to (A) make some extra cash from it, and (B) give some accomodation to people from other countries wanting to learn the Queens English.!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated as we are into our first day ( At very short notice) and are a little bit lost as what to do!:confused: :(

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 23:07
do you mean that you have a foreign student with you now ???? , if you have then try and teach them a bit of english , sorry , couldnt resist :D , seriosly , i hope it works out for you both , and having said that , shouldnt you have been given some sort of idea of what to expect before embarking on this :confused:

budwieser
03-07-2005, 23:11
do you mean that you have a foreign student with you now ???? , if you have then try and teach them a bit of english , sorry , couldnt resist :D , seriosly , i hope it works out for you both , and having said that , shouldnt you have been given some sort of idea of what to expect before embarking on this :confused:
No Dude, Language school students, as in foreign students going to a Language school in Cambridge.:D
My English Is Fcuking perfect you twunt anyway!:D :D :D
Anyway, my post was about a lack of communication between us and the school. I`ll post more tomorrow when i`ve been there and given them my own version of events for tonight and their ineptitude!

tick
03-07-2005, 23:11
had some for 3 years they are mostly easy to get on with.
and dont take a lot of looking after

Angua
03-07-2005, 23:12
Do try to have a proper sit down evening meal together (no TV). Other than that much will depend on the age of the person and what activities the Language school is offering. Nationality can also make a difference. You have the comfort of being in your own home the student will feel somewhat disorientated. We always gave the host family the opportunity to write to the student before hand to introduce themselves which helps. Also have the telephone numbers of the accommodation office handy just in case.

I was an accomodation officer many years ago but only dealt with adults/16 plus (in holidays) but more mature students year round.

Don't expect to make much money from it, you seem to be doing it for the right reasons though. Best of luck and whatever you do relax, they will probably be as nervous as you.

tick
03-07-2005, 23:12
c f are looking for people now

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 23:13
No Dude, Language school students, as in foreign students going to a Language school in Cambridge.:D
My English Is Fcuking perfect you twunt anyway!:D :D :D

ahk rihgt i ese , ym egnlish is prefect sa wlle :D :D :D

budwieser
03-07-2005, 23:15
ahk rihgt i ese , ym egnlish is prefect sa wlle :D :D :D

Colo! :rolleyes: hASTA mANYANA A lA tOAD iN tHE hOLE1? Lol!:D :tu: Sava?

greencreeper
03-07-2005, 23:22
I'm sure Mrs Budwieser is looking forward to it. I know I wouldn't say no to the possibility of bumping into a wet Italian coming out the bathroom in nothing but a towel :naughty:

What's that? You've gone right off the idea? :D

Ramrod
03-07-2005, 23:31
My parents did this when I was in my teens...........it was ok.....no real probs..... :tu: :)

Nikko
03-07-2005, 23:31
I'm sure Mrs Budwieser is looking forward to it. I know I wouldn't say no to the possibility of bumping into a wet Italian coming out the bathroom in nothing but a towel :naughty:

This should not be an issue if you supply and clearly make obvious a supply of bog roll.

budwieser
03-07-2005, 23:38

I wouldn`t mind if it was a 20 year old swedish Nymphomaniac who would have to be buried in a Y shape coffin when she died, But we have had a 13 year old Turkish lad dumped on us at short notice with No checks done on my wife or myself!
Also, we`ve had no phone calls from the school itself, all we knew last night was that we had two Turkish students coming to us because they were short of accomodation for 30 students! I`m so Fcuking mad at the moment!:mad: :mad: :mad:
The lad we have is ever so nice and his Mother `phoned us up from Turkey 3 times today because she didn`t know where her son was.!:shocked:
After he got here we made him feel at home as best we could, fed him and then he threw up a dodgy pizza he was fed at Heathrow airport because he was hungry.
The first Taxi that turned up to pick them up was towed away because the driver wandered off to find the students.
It`s a Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not as bad as the siht i`m going to give them at the school tomorrow!:grind: :afire: :afire: :upyours: :2up: :sniper: :sniper:

Halcyon
04-07-2005, 01:05
Good luck with it all.
As has already beeen said, make them feel at home, and over the time they are there they will pick up on the english. Avoid watching american TV, or anything that takes away Englands values and suggest to them that they keep a book of phrases that they learn over time.
Its worth taking them out at the weekend to see what England has to offer and help them see what the country is made of.
They'l soon settle in and I'm sure it will go fine for them..... plus you will probably pick up a bit of their language too which will be good fun.

Graham
04-07-2005, 01:21
Has anyone here ever taken in Language school students and if so, what was your experience of it like?
I ask because my good lady wife and i had a spare room and decided to (A) make some extra cash from it, and (B) give some accomodation to people from other countries wanting to learn the Queens English.!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated as we are into our first day ( At very short notice) and are a little bit lost as what to do!:confused: :(

Well my mother does this as a useful source of extra income and, generally she's not had any major problems. Just lay down some basic rules (eg no hogging the bathroom for two hours in the morning, flush the loo when you've finished, wash up in the kitchen etc) and you should do fine.

Mostly they keep themselves to themselves, but she tries to have a sit-down meal with them each evening and just chats about what they've done during the day, maybe suggest places they'd like to visit etc and generally engage them in conversation.

If you're getting them through a local language school, you can always ask them for help and advice.

Oh, BTW, if you're not already aware of it, under the "Rent a Room" scheme you can earn up to £4,250 *tax free* from letting out rooms! :)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/TaxOnRentalIncomeArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4017804&chk=mGasop

greencreeper
04-07-2005, 01:48
But we have had a 13 year old Turkish lad dumped on us at short notice with No checks done on my wife or myself!
That's a bit bad. I thought students as in 16+ - not kids. Lot more to take on :disturbd:

Muslims have complex cleansing routines which leave puddles in the bathroom, this much I know about other cultures. I don't get out much :D

xcdtowg
04-07-2005, 04:55
We have students living with us, well just the one at the moment, they are often very very friendly to be honest, not much looking after :)

I think they are meant to have a meal with the family and sit around the table and talk, but most of the students we have never sit to dinner, some have and they are very polite, some have even made us dinner! :) A very nice spanish girl made the most gorgeous foods!

Around borunemouth there are a lot of language schools so theres always students in need of houses. We have had a lot of arab students lately all called Mohammad. Lol so you never need to learn names either :p:
The only bad thing really is about cleaniness...apparently arab boys have a problem with aiming and flushing the toilet, but i shal say no more :erm:

But other than that we hardly see the students, they are often well off and go on weekends to london a lot and are out a lot of the time. But they are always very nice so far and weve had quite a few students now! :D

So good luck and hope it all works out ok:)

budwieser
04-07-2005, 09:19
The second lad was dropped off to us at 2.00 this morning!:confused: apparantly he should have been in Bournemouth but they cancelled the course.