PDA

View Full Version : will using a crossover ethernet cable work for using two devices with one modem?

CableForumUser
03-07-2005, 20:18
hi i want to use both ps2 and laptop at same time, and i hear i can simply use a crossover ethernet cable and it will work? this would suit me i dont want to mess around with router or any bs like that.

i have a realtek family fast ethernet NIC. so all i have to do is plug the crossover cable into my modem and also the usb cable into my modem and i can use both ps2 and laptop at the same time? thank you. i need to know because the long crossover cable i need is expensive.

thank you in advance for replies.

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 20:21
IFAIK

Cable Modems will work with either USB or Ethernet connections.....they will not work with both at the same time.

You best bet really is to get a cheap router.....

How much is the long crossover cable going to cost you?

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2005, 20:31
hi i want to use both ps2 and laptop at same time, and i hear i can simply use a crossover ethernet cable and it will work? this would suit me i dont want to mess around with router or any bs like that.

i have a realtek family fast ethernet NIC. so all i have to do is plug the crossover cable into my modem and also the usb cable into my modem and i can use both ps2 and laptop at the same time? thank you. i need to know because the long crossover cable i need is expensive.

Won't work.

Unless you subscribe to ntl's "broadband & console service" (£2 per month, plus a set-up fee), your cable modem will only be able to get one IP address, & will only be able to connect to one device at a time.

Best bet is to get yourself a cheap router. Amazon sell the Linksys BEFSR41 for around 30quid, including postage. Cheaper in the long run than nt;s console service, & *very* easy to set-up & use.

Halcyon
03-07-2005, 21:52
I bought that exact router last week. £30 deleivered to my door.
Set up is a breeze. Plug all your cables in and your about set to go.
It comes with instructions and I had mine up and running within about half an hour.
You would need straight cables and not crossover for linking the PC's to the router.
This will let you share the connection, (upto 4 devices on the router) all at the same time.

homealone
03-07-2005, 22:05
Won't work.

Unless you subscribe to ntl's "broadband & console service" (£2 per month, plus a set-up fee), your cable modem will only be able to get one IP address, & will only be able to connect to one device at a time.

Best bet is to get yourself a cheap router. Amazon sell the Linksys BEFSR41 for around 30quid, including postage. Cheaper in the long run than nt;s console service, & *very* easy to set-up & use.

here is a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/ref=br_lf_ce_10/202-0334783-7636644

:)

Wicked_and_Crazy
03-07-2005, 22:12

You can use a crossover cable however the configuration you need is PC 1 connected to the modem with a standard ethernet cable and ethernet card. PC1 connected to the laptop via the Cross over cable, you will need a second Ethernet card in PC1 and one in the laptop.

This way both machines will be able to see the internet howver PC1 will have to be powered up if you want the access the net on the laptop.

CableForumUser
04-07-2005, 15:02
thank you for replies. i am thinking of buying this router. however there is one thing. i have a laptop, a pc and a ps2 with network adapter. the pc HAS to use the usb cable coz it doesnt have a NIC or ehternet port. i guess this router would work with using both laptop and ps2 at same time as laptop has NIC installed. but willl i still be able to switch to using pc internet?> i dont need to use pc and anything else at same time i just want to be able to use pc online as well.

also, am i right:

all i have to do when i get this router is plug in both the laptop ethernet cable and the ps2 ehternet cable and i can use both at same time???

nffc
04-07-2005, 15:09
Buy an NIC. They're no more than a tenner for a PCI.

CableForumUser
04-07-2005, 15:18
Buy an NIC. They're no more than a tenner for a PCI.
no u dont understand, for myh pc i dont need to use my pc and laptop at same time, or my pc and ps2 at same time, i just want to be able to use my pc online once in a while. can i still do this with this router installed? can i still unplug th cab les and plug the usb in like i do now?????

paulyoung666
04-07-2005, 15:47
i suppose you could arse on unplugging and plugging in all the time :( , why for less than a tenner dont you want to get a nic , i am very :confused: now

zovat
04-07-2005, 16:17
no u dont understand, for myh pc i dont need to use my pc and laptop at same time, or my pc and ps2 at same time, i just want to be able to use my pc online once in a while. can i still do this with this router installed? can i still unplug th cab les and plug the usb in like i do now?????

Short answer, yes you can do this, but you will need to reboot the CM each time you change to use your PC..

you would need to remove the router in order to use the USB, as only one will get an IP address.

If your PC only has usb, you could get a usb to ethernet converter (although as already stated buying an internal network card would be cheaper) and connect that to the router.

The advantage of having your main PC connected to the router is that you will not need to muck about when you do want to use it, and also you will be able to share/move data between your laptop and the PC really easily.

HTH